Take out from main dining room?

rorito

I have never done this before. Sailing solo and wondering if they allow to pick up a meal in the main dining room and take to your room? If so, do you order by phone or in person? Or perhaps you must use room service? Thanks for any advice. 

16 minutes ago, rorito said:

I have never done this before. Sailing solo and wondering if they allow to pick up a meal in the main dining room and take to your room? If so, do you order by phone or in person? Or perhaps you must use room service? Thanks for any advice. 

You can’t order room service from the MDR unless you are in a full suite. You can probably go in person to ask for takeout but it would probably be easier to go to the WJ and fill a plate to take out. 

They don't have a take out service but during dinner  some  ask for an item to take back to the cabin.   Many do this with dessert. It is just a plate with a cover over the food.  So I guess you can walk in and  try to get an entree.  Of course anything more than a plate or two would be cumbersome to carry back to the cabin. 

Be aware that there is no way to heat  up  food in the cabin, and there is no often dedicated eating area, just perhaps the couch or bed.  Some ship only have coffee tables on the balconies, not standard height dining tables. 

If you want to dine in your cabin, I suggest room service.  They have several nice options for dinner.    Everything will be delivered, even ( non alcohol) beverages.  Or, if your ship has a Playmakers or Izumi Sushi, you can get items to go from there.  Playmakers  is set up with to go boxes. 

Enjoy

Edited by cruisegirl1
  • Like 1

My last trip in May solo I bought a little tray from Amazon and brought food from WJ to my balcony. I'd think you could order dinner in MDR and ask for everything to arrive same time and then pile onto tray and take away. I had the Key and for the welcome lunch they kindly covered the plates for me to take up to Johnny Rocket's table to eat outside.

13 minutes ago, cruisegirl1 said:

They don't have a take out service but during dinner  some  ask for an item to take back to the cabin.   Many do this with dessert. It is just a plate with a cover over the food.  So I guess you can walk in and  try to get an entree.  Of course anything more than a plate or two would be cumbersome to carry back to the cabin. 

Be aware that there is no way to heat  up  food in the cabin, and there is no often dedicated eating area, just perhaps the couch or bed.  Some ship only have coffee tables on the balconies, not standard height dining tables. 

If you want to dine in your cabin, I suggest room service.  They have several nice options for dinner.    Everything will be delivered, even ( non alcohol) beverages.  Or, if your ship has a Playmakers or Izumi Sushi, you can get items to go from there.  Playmakers  is set up with to go boxes. 

Enjoy

Thanks! I will ask the staff in the dining room once onboard if I can order and pick up. I will pack a tote so I can carry the covered plates back to my balcony. If they can't accommodate, then my go to is the 'Jammer. 

2 hours ago, twins_to_alaska said:

My last trip in May solo I bought a little tray from Amazon and brought food from WJ to my balcony.

Another idea: order (free) continental breakfast, keep the tray (leave a note for stateroom attendant not to take it away, or hide it lol)

• Like 2

3 hours ago, cruisegirl1 said:

Enjoy

Yes, Daughter was quarantined for 24hrs. SIL, my Grand Daughter and I carried her meal back to her. Otherwise OP, Dessert like poster were says or just go to WJ as I do a 99% time SOLO traveler also. Always PU/eat my WJ  Lunch on my Cabin Balcony

• Like 1

3 hours ago, rorito said:

Thanks! I will ask the staff in the dining room once onboard if I can order and pick up. I will pack a tote so I can carry the covered plates back to my balcony. If they can't accommodate, then my go to is the 'Jammer. 

We were able to get take out from the MDR on one cruise but we only did it for one night.  We had to talk to the head waiter who got one of the my time dining room waiters to take out order and then we were told were to sit and wait.  Waiter brought out a large tray of covered plates.  My DH and I each stacked three covered plates and took them back to our cabin.

1 hour ago, reallyitsmema said:

We were able to get take out from the MDR on one cruise but we only did it for one night.  We had to talk to the head waiter who got one of the my time dining room waiters to take out order and then we were told were to sit and wait.  Waiter brought out a large tray of covered plates.  My DH and I each stacked three covered plates and took them back to our cabin.

Thanks! I will try it out for a meal or two if they are ok with it.

I bought a tray from the dollar store and it comes on every vacation. My husband uses it for coffee and breakfast if we don't want to order breakfast room service. It works out great and takes up very little space in the suitcase. On Serenade in May, the Windjammer actually had take out containers to put your food in, but you had to ask for one. I'm not sure if all ships have them or not but worth asking.