Cheers package and both adults in room not able to drink booze

bubba83

There are many alcohol-free options in the Cheers package. All frozen drinks can be made without alcohol. There are coffees and teas and energy drinks and water and juice and the list goes on and on. 

My husband rarely drinks and I like to drink but can't drink for the both of us. Sometimes I get the drink package just so I don't have to think about how much I am spending... even though the package is not beneficial for us. But it makes sense in my thinking. LOL

• Like 1

Princess (also a Carnival brand) allows for one person in a room of two people to purchase a drink package. If this is a deal breaker with Carnival just sail on Princess. Odd that only Princess does this across all the CCL brands. 

I can understand why Carnival does not grant an exemption. Many adults have some kind of health condition that should limit alcohol intake so it would be quite easy to get a doctor or nurse practitioner to write a statement advising that person not to drink. If Carnival accepted that statement and then if that person does indeed drink is Carnival now in legal liability?  

• Like 2

On 8/27/2022 at 1:08 AM, Illbcruzn4life said:

I keep reading the title of this thread and wonder what the problem is if both adults can't drink booze. I'm sure I'm just stuck on stupid!

Oh sorry...that was totally my fault but thanks for pointing out my stupidity.

Why can't people just kind?

If you just read then my initial post you would have seen I meant what if an adult in the room can't really drink alcohol and the other adult can. 

3 hours ago, Island Dog said:

Princess (also a Carnival brand) allows for one person in a room of two people to purchase a drink package. If this is a deal breaker with Carnival just sail on Princess. Odd that only Princess does this across all the CCL brands. 

Not a deal breaker. 

On 8/27/2022 at 9:10 AM, Joebucks said:

Would that require passengers submit a proof of pregnancy? We know that would never happen. Otherwise, what's to stop people from just claiming pregnancy? It's easier to just say no exceptions. Besides, all of the Cheers fans boast of infinite value because of water bottles and coffee anyways.

We sailed when I was pregnant with my now 8 year old and I’m pretty sure I had to have a form filled out allowing me to sail. You can’t sail after 5 months along. Maybe 6. It’s been awhile. 
i called and asked if I could get an exemption. I was told yes I could. When I got to the ship they refused. We didn’t end up buying it. 

ETa back then it was also just alcohol. Non-alcoholic drinks were not included then. 

Edited by 1kaper

The "All you can ____" model is a profit winner for pretty much any entity that offers it.  From Disney Dining Packages to those City Passes that include entry to dozens of attractions to All you can drink Sodas at Six Flags.

While there are folks who do their due diligence to make sure they at least break even most do not and just like the thought of it.  The cost to the company is minimal since the buy what they are offering in bulk.  We tried the dining plan at Disney once and it was WORK to break even,  I cannot imagine trying to come out ahead on that deal.  Forcing drink plans on all adults pretty much assures that they will always come out ahead even if one person maxes it out each day.

My wife and I don't drink enough to justify it, but if they moved the non-alcoholic drinks included in Cheers to the Bottomless Bubbles program we'd be all over that.

19 minutes ago, tweak89 said:

The "All you can ____" model is a profit winner for pretty much any entity that offers it.  From Disney Dining Packages to those City Passes that include entry to dozens of attractions to All you can drink Sodas at Six Flags.

While there are folks who do their due diligence to make sure they at least break even most do not and just like the thought of it.  The cost to the company is minimal since the buy what they are offering in bulk.  We tried the dining plan at Disney once and it was WORK to break even,  I cannot imagine trying to come out ahead on that deal.  Forcing drink plans on all adults pretty much assures that they will always come out ahead even if one person maxes it out each day.

My wife and I don't drink enough to justify it, but if they moved the non-alcoholic drinks included in Cheers to the Bottomless Bubbles program we'd be all over that.

Carnival has said the price to include all the nonalcoholic beverages into Bubbles would be close to CHEERS thus not appealing to families

25 minutes ago, Elaine5715 said:

Carnival has said the price to include all the nonalcoholic beverages into Bubbles would be close to CHEERS thus not appealing to families

I understand that, and read it in this thread, but my point (for ME and MY WIFE) is that we would get WAY more use out of a Soda/Coffee card than Cheers.  Now, if they would only ditch Pepsi for REAL sodas we'd buy Bubbles now, lol.

BTW, I don't believe for one minute that doing that would make the cost that high.  I do however, believe that they WOULD jack up the price that high. 

Edited by tweak89

5 hours ago, bubba83 said:

Oh sorry...that was totally my fault but thanks for pointing out my stupidity.

Why can't people just kind?

If you just read then my initial post you would have seen I meant what if an adult in the room can't really drink alcohol and the other adult can. 

No one was pointing out anybody's stupidity and if you think that I was unkind, I extend to you my apoogies. 🙂

3 hours ago, tweak89 said:

I understand that, and read it in this thread, but my point (for ME and MY WIFE) is that we would get WAY more use out of a Soda/Coffee card than Cheers.  Now, if they would only ditch Pepsi for REAL sodas we'd buy Bubbles now, lol.

BTW, I don't believe for one minute that doing that would make the cost that high.  I do however, believe that they WOULD jack up the price that high. 

Think Royal charges about $25-$30pp/pd for the package  with the soda/coffee,etc.  

It is a business and they can do what they want.  We would never buy full priced Cheers but we've been fortunate twice to get a rate that included it at a discount.

Having said that, I do wish that Carnival would give some consideration to a single person package.  Perhaps adult 2 would be required to buy a non-alcoholic package, which of course does not exist today.  Something between Bubbles and Cheers.

1 hour ago, Purvis1231 said:

Would someone really drink $60 of virgin drinks a day? 500 calories each at least.

They just put a one shot floater in most of those frozen drinks, so it's not like they're more "worth it" when the alcohol is added...personally to me they're all disgusting but Carnival sells a ton of them. Every bar you hear those blenders going basically nonstop from open to last call.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, mz-s said:

They just put a one shot floater in most of those frozen drinks, so it's not like they're more "worth it" when the alcohol is added...personally to me they're all disgusting but Carnival sells a ton of them. Every bar you hear those blenders going basically nonstop from open to last call.

I was just asking if someone actually drinks enough virgin drinks to make purchasing cheers for a non-drinker viable. (It does seem the booze nullifies the calories for some people.)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Purvis1231 said:

I was just asking if someone actually drinks enough virgin drinks to make purchasing cheers for a non-drinker viable. (It does seem the booze nullifies the calories for some people.)

I doubt they sell many of those virgin frozen drinks to drinking-age adults. I'm sure they sell some but not many.

5 hours ago, Razor_Poke said:

It is a business and they can do what they want.  We would never buy full priced Cheers but we've been fortunate twice to get a rate that included it at a discount.

Having said that, I do wish that Carnival would give some consideration to a single person package.  Perhaps adult 2 would be required to buy a non-alcoholic package, which of course does not exist today.  Something between Bubbles and Cheers.

Exactly...in the past on Royal....if the 2nd adult couldn't drink alcohol for medical reasons then they usually would let them buy one of the other drink packages

Question. My final payment is due soon for our upcoming cruise. We have 2 staterooms. One for my husband and me and one for my son, daughter-in-law and 2 little grandchildren (family harbor). My husband is 83 and doesn’t drink (serious medical reasons). My daughter-in-law also doesn’t drink. My son and I do and are considering the package. Is it possible before I make final payment, to change names for the stateroom occupants (name only obviously) so that he and I could get a drink package without having to buy 4? Thanks in advance for your help. 

sorry, just saw the response before mine. Will Carnival change the guests by just calling them?

Edited by mimito4
Just saw response

37 minutes ago, mimito4 said:

Question. My final payment is due soon for our upcoming cruise. We have 2 staterooms. One for my husband and me and one for my son, daughter-in-law and 2 little grandchildren (family harbor). My husband is 83 and doesn’t drink (serious medical reasons). My daughter-in-law also doesn’t drink. My son and I do and are considering the package. Is it possible before I make final payment, to change names for the stateroom occupants (name only obviously) so that he and I could get a drink package without having to buy 4? Thanks in advance for your help. 

sorry, just saw the response before mine. Will Carnival change the guests by just calling them?

Yes Carnival CS should be able to change the names easily enough over the phone.  Once you get onboard, just go to guest services and they'll change it.  I have a call myself into my pvp to do the same thing on a cruise upcoming.

• Thanks 1