After Thanksgiving cruise

jp2746

I am trying to decide if we should take a five day to Cabo before Thanksgiving (balcony) or a seven day the week after Thanksgiving (interior).  We are having to use our goodwill credits before they expire at the end of the year and we have already spent our family cruise allowance for the year!  However, I have enough to cover a five day, but would have to pay a little more for the seven day.   I'm not too excited about an interior as we have never been in one before and I don't know if that would be too much fun.

My question is, do they decorate the ship for Christmas this early?  Would it be more fun to do Mazatlán, Puerto Vallarta and Cabo in an interior for a little more during this time of year?  I'm not sure I want to go in an interior but it may be worth it for the extra ports.  We have never been on this route as we always do Caribbean itineraries and don't know what to expect.    

Any advice would be appreciated as I have to make final payment in two days. 

In our experience, Most of the decorations will go up before you board, but they might continue to add to these.

I doubt that there are any obstructed balconies still available that do not actually have obstruction,  But I would consider paying a bit more for one of them over an inside.  (I am one of those who really like my natural light and some fresh air!)

I don't think either are actually over Thanksgiving?

I looked, just out of curiosity, and I am seeing.

5 Day -

Interior $402.00

Deluxe Obstructed (non obstructed mid-ship with extended balcony)  $467.00

Balcony. mid fwd  $460.00

7 Day -

Interior mid-FWD or mid-AFT $521.00

Deluxe Obstructed (non obstructed mid-ship with extended balcony)  $782.00

Balcony AFT  $768.00

Usually the week after Thanksgiving is one of the cheapest weeks to sail. The price may drop for you.

Christmas decorations won't go up until after Thanksgiving. There will not be any special meals unless you sail on Thanksgiving or Christmas (and the Thanksgiving meal is not that great).

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Wishing on a star said:

I don't think either are actually over Thanksgiving?

I looked, just out of curiosity, and I am seeing.

5 Day -

Interior $402.00

Deluxe Obstructed (non obstructed mid-ship with extended balcony)  $467.00

Balcony. mid fwd  $460.00

7 Day -

Interior mid-FWD or mid-AFT $521.00

Deluxe Obstructed (non obstructed mid-ship with extended balcony)  $782.00

Balcony AFT  $768.00

I am getting a higher price.  Are you platinum or elite where you get lower prices? 

I would choose the longer cruise in an interior if need be.  Cabo is okay, but a lot of wasted time.  At least for the longer cruise, you will get Cabo (for a few hours) and 2 other ports.  The increase in fare is due to port taxes and the extra 2 cruise days.  

Someone on my Roll Call did a free (for tips) walking tour of Puerto Vallarta.  I think it was called Puerto Vallarta 101.

The ship will be less crowded.  Many schools are out for the week before Thanksgiving.  Plus the Cabo 5 days is usually a "partier" crowd.  

If you have to fly in...then I would definitely take the extra 2 days.

Edited by cr8tiv1

7 minutes ago, Coral said:

Usually the week after Thanksgiving is one of the cheapest weeks to sail. The price may drop for you.

Christmas decorations won't go up until after Thanksgiving. There will not be any special meals unless you sail on Thanksgiving or Christmas (and the Thanksgiving meal is not that great).

If the price drop after final payment do they give OBC or something?

2 minutes ago, cr8tiv1 said:

I would choose the longer cruise in an interior if need be.  Cabo is okay, but a lot of wasted time.  At least for the longer cruise, you will get Cabo (for a few hours) and 2 other ports.  The increase in fare is due to port taxes and the extra 2 cruise days.  

Someone on my Roll Call did a free (for tips) walking tour of Puerto Vallarta.  I think it was called Puerto Vallarta 101.

The ship will be less crowded.  Many schools are out for the week before Thanksgiving.  Plus the Cabo 5 days is usually a "partier" crowd.  

Yes I think that is what we will do.  The more I think about it, I think it would be more fun.  We are taking our 16 year old and this is his first Princess cruise. He is concerned that he will be bored being that he has only gone on oasis class Royal Caribbean ships.  But there is food so I’m sure he will have a great time. 

58 minutes ago, jp2746 said:

Yes I think that is what we will do.  The more I think about it, I think it would be more fun.  We are taking our 16 year old and this is his first Princess cruise. He is concerned that he will be bored being that he has only gone on oasis class Royal Caribbean ships.  But there is food so I’m sure he will have a great time. 

If you choose to do an interior, I would advice either Plaza Deck as close to Piazza as possible or the deck below Lido as far aft as possible. 

The aft interiors under Lido Deck:

1.  Up a few stars/back door to aft Terrace Pool area. (usually adult only).

2.  Extra bathrooms on Lido Deck

3.  Far enough away from pool and main Horizon Buffet to be quiet

4.  Close enough for runs to the buffet/pool/hamburger grill

5.  Most likely need to take elevators.

Mid forward (not forward) Plaza Deck:  (my favorite location because I am not a pool/buffet person)

1.  Close to extra bathrooms

2.  Near International Cafe

3.  2 flights up to Promenade (no elevator needed)

4.  Heart of the Piazza

3 hours ago, cr8tiv1 said:

If you choose to do an interior, I would advice either Plaza Deck as close to Piazza as possible or the deck below Lido as far aft as possible. 

The aft interiors under Lido Deck:

1.  Up a few stars/back door to aft Terrace Pool area. (usually adult only).

2.  Extra bathrooms on Lido Deck

3.  Far enough away from pool and main Horizon Buffet to be quiet

4.  Close enough for runs to the buffet/pool/hamburger grill

5.  Most likely need to take elevators.

Mid forward (not forward) Plaza Deck:  (my favorite location because I am not a pool/buffet person)

1.  Close to extra bathrooms

2.  Near International Cafe

3.  2 flights up to Promenade (no elevator needed)

4.  Heart of the Piazza

Thank you for all the suggestions. I booked the seven day in an interior.  
I am hoping for a cheaper than $600 upgrade to a balcony.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, jp2746 said:

I am trying to decide if we should take a five day to Cabo before Thanksgiving (balcony) or a seven day the week after Thanksgiving (interior).  We are having to use our goodwill credits before they expire at the end of the year and we have already spent our family cruise allowance for the year!  However, I have enough to cover a five day, but would have to pay a little more for the seven day.   I'm not too excited about an interior as we have never been in one before and I don't know if that would be too much fun.

My question is, do they decorate the ship for Christmas this early?  Would it be more fun to do Mazatlán, Puerto Vallarta and Cabo in an interior for a little more during this time of year?  I'm not sure I want to go in an interior but it may be worth it for the extra ports.  We have never been on this route as we always do Caribbean itineraries and don't know what to expect.    

Any advice would be appreciated as I have to make final payment in two days. 

We sailed a 10 day last year embarking the Tuesday after Thanksgiving. The Christmas decorations started going up mid-cruise. 

21 hours ago, Buckeye10640 said:

We sailed a 10 day last year embarking the Tuesday after Thanksgiving. The Christmas decorations started going up mid-cruise. 

What was the weather like?  We live in San Diego and I know it can be warm or cool, but is it similar climates in these ports in Mexico?

Are you familiar with the difference between the sideways interior cabins and the ones with the entry similar to all other cabins?   They do have a few more square feet, and seem to have a bit more floor/elbow room.  There are good video tours on youtube.  I like the added few square feet, but do not like that there is no privacy buffer, as the door opens right into the main bed area.

13 minutes ago, Wishing on a star said:

Are you familiar with the difference between the sideways interior cabins and the ones with the entry similar to all other cabins?   They do have a few more square feet, and seem to have a bit more floor/elbow room.  There are good video tours on youtube.  I like the added few square feet, but do not like that there is no privacy buffer, as the door opens right into the main bed area.

Thanks for the info.  I saw those and wondered what they were like. I’ll check them out.  I don’t mind where the door opens. It will just make our son get out of bed earlier.  Lol.  Are the third bed options over the queen bed?  The rooms look so small that it is hard to visualize two more places to sleep in those cabins. 

18 minutes ago, Wishing on a star said:

On Youtube look for video title:

Discovery Princess Inside Cabin Tour - Stateroom A203

This is a good tour of a sideways Inside cabin.

Thank you!  I watched it.  We usually have a balcony and it looks so small but we will deal.  It will just force us to spend more time around the ship.  It will be interesting for my son trying to take a shower at 6’2”.  The lady in the video was “just under” 6’ and she looked like she was pretty close to the ceiling. 

On 8/29/2022 at 8:46 AM, jp2746 said:

I am trying to decide if we should take a five day to Cabo before Thanksgiving (balcony) or a seven day the week after Thanksgiving (interior). 

For the sake of clarification, Canadian or U.S. Thanksgiving?  They are on different days, and is only observed in about 5 countries in the world.  They usually have Thanksgiving decorations up until U.S Thanksgiving (the one in November.)  They put up Christmas decorations after that.