Updated Protocols for Transatlantic Sailings

Royal Caribbean have sent the email for the testing/vaccination protocols for TA's for October/November 2022, to get onto the ship, and they have issued this information for their cruises since they returned to sailing after Covid.    It's up to the individual to check if they are flying into another country, what their protocols are for entering which you would find on your Government Website for your home country.     Royal have passengers sailing from all over the world, so entries to various countries will differ, depending on where you are entering from.     If you get this initial part wrong, you won't be able to enter the country where the ship is due to sail from (i'e Spain & Italy are being discussed in this thread).  

We have sailed on a few different ships leaving from different ports and have had to check the protocols of the Country we were flying to, as well as the protocols that RCCL were issuing for our sailing, and on a few occasions they have varied,  and have been updated even within a few days of us having to sail.  We did a TA from US to Barcelona in April, we had testing to do to enter the US, then RCCL initially had sent us an email stating we had to test 2 days before sailing, then it was reduced to 1 day before sailing, and it eventually went back to 2 days before sailing.    It's forever evolving.

• Like 2

This is the email my Travel Agent sent me, for the September 4 Voyager TA, slightly different for testing from the October/November protocols:

Update! Voyager of the Seas Transatlantic

Below find our updated protocols for our Voyager of the Seas Transatlantic sailing. Should there be any changes, we are committed to keeping you informed

Vaccination Required
All guests ages 5 and older must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 with the final dose administered at least 14 days before sailing. Although not required, we recommend that guests be up-to-date with their boosters, when eligible.

NEW! Guests ages 4 and younger, regardless of vaccination status, can join us on our transatlantic sailings. No exemptions are needed!

Up-to-date:For the purpose of our sailing, to be considered up-to-date, guests must have received all doses in their vaccine series and have received their booster if the second vaccine was administered over 270 days (9 months) ago.

Testing
Pre-cruise
All guests ages 2 and older are required to show proof of a negative COVID-19 test result:

• Up-to-date guests: your test must be taken no more than 2 days before boarding day.
  • Not up-to-date guests and unvaccinated children ages 2 ¿ 4: your test must be taken no more than 1 day before boarding day

Accepted Tests
Guests can take advantage of telehealth antigen tests to satisfy their pre-cruise requirement. Proof of a negative test can be the printed or digital results. Unsupervised self-tests will not be accepted for this transatlantic sailing. To learn more about our accepted tests, visit our FAQ.

Check out our Healthy Sail Center for our full sailing protocols

2 hours ago, 4774Papa said:

My cruise is next April, and I have NOT received any email from Royal.

Royal needs to get is act together.

This is exactly what we were talking about on the roll call. It is way to early for our TA cruise for RCCL to release our protocols because all the EU ports-of -call could change dramatically in the next 7-8 months. You almost have to visit international websites daily to keep up with their current protocols. They are all very fluid.

• Like 2

Prior to booking this cruise, I researched the COVID19 vaccine and testing requriements.

If Royal changes to require that I get another booster, I will cancel.

I have already booked my one-way air back to the USA, plus hotels, etc.

Since Italy has no problem with me, I will then have to purchase another one-way air tickets.

Further, I will be LESS inclined to look at cruising in my travel plans.

Fortunately, the COVID19 restrictions around the World seem to be getting less strict, so there is still hope.

52 minutes ago, 4774Papa said:

Prior to booking this cruise, I researched the COVID19 vaccine and testing requriements.

If you reread the new guidelines, you don't need to get ANY booster to cruise.  It's only recommended.    You just need to take an Antigen test 24 hours.  It's not really that complicated.

The folks who really have an issue is the requirements to not have your kids vaccinated above the age of 5 years.  That is something new since folks booking their TA 

38 minutes ago, Blue Eyed Belfast Belle said:

I too am on the B-2-B on Brilliance Oct/Nov.  I have been looking all morning for the link that previously said that it testing would not be required for B-2-Bers but it seems to have been removed

We're on the same cruises.  I called Royal and was told if you are Boosted, you don't need to retest for the TA.  If you are not boosted, you will need to take an Antigen test 24 hours before sailing on the TA.  So that means you should bring an eMed test or some other proctored test to take the day before we sail into Civitavecchia.  If you don't have one, you can purchase one from Royal for $55.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Wineaux007 said:

If you reread the new guidelines, you don't need to get ANY booster to cruise.  It's only recommended.    You just need to take an Antigen test 24 hours.  It's not really that complicated.

The folks who really have an issue is the requirements to not have your kids vaccinated above the age of 5 years.  That is something new since folks booking their TA 

Which guidance?

1) The email that was sent to cruisers for this fall:

Vaccination Required
All guests ages 5 and older must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 with the final dose administered at least 14 days before sailing. Although not required, we recommend that guests be up-to-date with their boosters, when eligible.

NEW! Guests ages 4 and younger, regardless of vaccination status, can join us on our transatlantic sailings. No exemptions are needed!

Up-to-date:For the purpose of our sailing, to be considered up-to-date, guests must have received all doses in their vaccine series and have received their booster if the second vaccine was administered over 270 days (9 months) ago.

OR

2) What is on Royal's website, which doesn't mention the 270 day requirement.

True the email guidance uses terminology stating that guest MUST be Fully Vaccinated, then giving the 270 day requirement, but then uses contradictory language "Although not required...

Trying to read those statement to make sense, seems to me to say that you still need to be FULLY VACCINATED and that another booster when unnecessary is not required.   Still, Royal could do MUCH better with this guidance.

I do hope that the advice  you received from Royal verbally is what is accurate.

1 hour ago, Wineaux007 said:

We're on the same cruises.  I called Royal and was told if you are Boosted, you don't need to retest for the TA.  If you are not boosted, you will need to take an Antigen test 24 hours before sailing on the TA.  So that means you should bring an eMed test or some other proctored test to take the day before we sail into Civitavecchia.  If you don't have one, you can purchase one from Royal for $55.

Thank you.  I am boostered so I shouldnt need to retest.  If needs be I can always get a RCI test but wish I didn't have to pay the $55!

Having seen 1st hand how those who were C+ were treated on the Wonder TA in April/May and hearing from those who also contracted Covid while onboard other ships my guess would be that RCI will be adopting a 'don't test, don't tell' approach for the b-2-b passengers!

1 hour ago, 4774Papa said:

Which guidance?

1) The email that was sent to cruisers for this fall:

Vaccination Required

OR

2) What is on Royal's website, which doesn't mention the 270 day requirement.

I'm just reporting on the guidance for Oct/Nov TA's.  If you are taking a TA in the Spring of 2023, the guidance will probably change 4-5 times between now and then.  

I believe I am reading the guidance correctly for Oct/Nov TA's in that you don't need to be Boosted.  Boosters are only highly recommended.  If you have had your initial series, you don't need boosters, but will have to take an Antigen test.  OK, that works for me because I have no intention to get any more of these stinking jabs.  I have my initial series, and that's it!!!  That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.  😉

20 hours ago, 4774Papa said:

Right,

But if it comes down to Royal changing its policy to require the 270 day "fully vaccinated" rule, then I will cancel.

They only require what the countries require. No need to blame Royal for falling into line with the port requirements. I'd sure like to know ahead what the requirements are.

20 hours ago, 4774Papa said:

Right,

But if it comes down to Royal changing its policy to require the 270 day "fully vaccinated" rule, then I will cancel.

They only require what the countries require. No need to blame Royal for falling into line with the port requirements. I'd sure like to know ahead what the requirements are.

13 hours ago, 4774Papa said:

I have already booked my one-way air back to the USA, plus hotels, etc.

Since Italy has no problem with me, I will then have to purchase another one-way air tickets.

Further, I will be LESS inclined to look at cruising in my travel plans.

Fortunately, the COVID19 restrictions around the World seem to be getting less strict, so there is still hope.

The protocol in the thread I think did say that fully vaccinated individuals whose booster was more than 270 days could have a negative antigen test 1 day prior to boarding.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, The sea calls my name said:

The protocol in the thread I think did say that fully vaccinated individuals whose booster was more than 270 days could have a negative antigen test 1 day prior to boarding.

No,  there is no time limit for boosters.

2 hours ago, crazyank said:

No,  there is no time limit for boosters.

I'm not sure, but might the confusion be due to what is meant by "fully vaccinated" and "booster"?

If I get this right, the EU-regulations stipulate that an individual is considered fully vaccinated for a period of 270 days from the second dose of a two-shot vaccine (for J & J one shot is sufficient). A single booster-shot is required after 270 days to be "fully vaccinated", but currently no more shots are officially required after that. 

In other words, the second shot of a two-shot regime is not called a "booster" in the official language, it's the shot(s) you may need after 270 days have passed from the initial vax-regime. If you don't get this single booster-shot after 270 days, you are no longer fully vaccinated according to the EU-rules.

https://ec.europa.eu/info/live-work-travel-eu/coronavirus-response/safe-covid-19-vaccines-europeans/eu-digital-covid-certificate_en

3 hours ago, Maria63 said:

I'm not sure, but might the confusion be due to what is meant by "fully vaccinated" and "booster"?

If I get this right, the EU-regulations stipulate that an individual is considered fully vaccinated for a period of 270 days from the second dose of a two-shot vaccine (for J & J one shot is sufficient). A single booster-shot is required after 270 days to be "fully vaccinated", but currently no more shots are officially required after that. 

In other words, the second shot of a two-shot regime is not called a "booster" in the official language, it's the shot(s) you may need after 270 days have passed from the initial vax-regime. If you don't get this single booster-shot after 270 days, you are no longer fully vaccinated according to the EU-rules.

https://ec.europa.eu/info/live-work-travel-eu/coronavirus-response/safe-covid-19-vaccines-europeans/eu-digital-covid-certificate_en

I hope that your are correct about the 270 day rule.   I have read other accounts that would apply it to boosters as well.   Still, if we can get an antigen test prior to boarding the ship, that is workable.

54 minutes ago, 4774Papa said:

I hope that your are correct about the 270 day rule.   I have read other accounts that would apply it to boosters as well.   Still, if we can get an antigen test prior to boarding the ship, that is workable.

All the regulations I have read say that boosters don't "expire" after 270 days for traveling purposes, but you never know what ignorance you might run into at the pier.  And sometimes it affects a whole cruise line.  Princess for example has completely miswritten the testing requirements for cruises visiting Greece, and the agents give you different answers every time you call.

11 minutes ago, Anton said:

Today if you go to https://www.royalcaribbean.com/the-healthy-sail-center/getting-ready-to-cruise and select Transatlantic Cruises From Europe the language is different from the email we received for "up to date" and the booster timing.  I did a screenshot.1512339217_ScreenShot2022-09-02at10_08_53AM.thumb.jpg.7f59d7caba5cd1f68ac1d8a86d16eb78.jpg

The wording "Fully Vaccinated" and "up to date" are different, and different testing requirements aren't mentioned in your screen shot.  To be "up to date" you have to have your final initial series less than 270 days, or if it is more than 270 days (most are, I believe), you need a booster.  "Fully Vaccinated" means you only have had the initial series (no booster).  

Everyone has to be tested to take the TA.  "Up to date" I believe have 3 days prior to test, and "fully vaccinated" have 24 hours prior to test.  

The issue which isn't explained, if you are on a B2B and "up to date" will you be exempt to test for the TA?    If you are just "fully vaccinated" I believe you need to test within 24 hours prior to the TA.  Royal states that B2B and "up to date" will not have to be tested for the TA, but "fully vaccinated" will have to test prior to the TA.  I would certainly like to see that in writing.

Since I do not plan to get a booster and I am just "fully vaccinated" I will have to test for the TA within 24 hours prior.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Wineaux007 said:

The wording "Fully Vaccinated" and "up to date" are different, and different testing requirements aren't mentioned in your screen shot.  To be "up to date" you have to have your final initial series less than 270 days, or if it is more than 270 days (most are, I believe), you need a booster.  "Fully Vaccinated" means you only have had the initial series (no booster).  

Everyone has to be tested to take the TA.  "Up to date" I believe have 3 days prior to test, and "fully vaccinated" have 24 hours prior to test.  

The issue which isn't explained, if you are on a B2B and "up to date" will you be exempt to test for the TA?    If you are just "fully vaccinated" I believe you need to test within 24 hours prior to the TA.  Royal states that B2B and "up to date" will not have to be tested for the TA, but "fully vaccinated" will have to test prior to the TA.  I would certainly like to see that in writing.

Since I do not plan to get a booster and I am just "fully vaccinated" I will have to test for the TA within 24 hours prior.

One small point, does 24 hours mean exactly 24 hours prior to when you board (say you board at 1pm, you had to be tested at 1pm or later) or does it mean the DAY prior to boarding?

We are driving down to Ft. Lauderdale the day before the cruise from S. Georgia (about 400 miles).  It would be nice if we could get tested say at 8 or 9am before we drove down to Ft. L.

18 minutes ago, 4774Papa said:

One small point, does 24 hours mean exactly 24 hours prior to when you board (say you board at 1pm, you had to be tested at 1pm or later) or does it mean the DAY prior to boarding?

We are driving down to Ft. Lauderdale the day before the cruise from S. Georgia (about 400 miles).  It would be nice if we could get tested say at 8 or 9am before we drove down to Ft. L.

Days not hours, and it doesn't count embarkation day.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, 4774Papa said:

The Oct/Nov TA's say "24 hours."  If you are taking a Spring 2023 TA, this does not apply to you.  This is only for Oct/Nov TA's.   By the time your TA comes, thing will most likely change 4-5 times.  It is too early to get worked up for a Spring TA, as this update does not apply.  The cut/paste says:  

• Antigen test taken no more than 24 hours before boarding day -- If you are boarding on Friday, anytime on Thursday would fit the muster, I would think.

4 minutes ago, Wineaux007 said:

The Oct/Nov TA's say "24 hours."  If you are taking a Spring 2023 TA, this does not apply to you.  This is only for Oct/Nov TA's.   By the time your TA comes, thing will most likely change 4-5 times.  It is too early to get worked up for a Spring TA, as this update does not apply.  The cut/paste says:  

• Antigen test taken no more than 24 hours before boarding day -- If you are boarding on Friday, anytime on Thursday would fit the muster, I would think.

Is that how the European health authority defines the test timing or just another vague effort at communication by RCI?