Fly cruise luggage

Captain_Mayhem

Hello,

I’m on the Azura Mediterranean fly cruise A219A, departing from (and returning to) Manchester and I was wondering if anybody knew what happens with luggage each way.  I’m wondering if, on the way there and back, I have to collect my luggage from the airport / ship and take it with me on the [bus?] transfer, or if the luggage is taken care of between airport and ship.

Thanks

1 hour ago, Captain_Mayhem said:

Hello,

I’m on the Azura Mediterranean fly cruise A219A, departing from (and returning to) Manchester and I was wondering if anybody knew what happens with luggage each way.  I’m wondering if, on the way there and back, I have to collect my luggage from the airport / ship and take it with me on the [bus?] transfer, or if the luggage is taken care of between airport and ship.

Thanks

Actually if you are flying to Malta, everyone has to collect their cases from the carousel and take them to a van outside the airport terminal, which then transports your luggage to the ship.  Passengers are then transported to the ship by coach and the cases will next be seen outside your cabin door.  This is the case for charter flights as well as scheduled flights which P&O may book you on.

This is an update since covid.  Pre covid passengers on P&O charter flights did have their luggage transferred directly to the ship and only those booked on schedule flights by P&O had to collect luggage at the airport.  The reason I have seen mentioned is that it is something to do with Brexit, but I do not understand why.

Edited by tring

32 minutes ago, wowzz said:

The luggage is delivered directly to your cabin. You do not have to collect it at the airport.

This is on the assumption that you are travelling on a P&O charter flight.

Sorry Wozz, there is an update to that for the Med cruises, which I have mentioned above.  I think I have seen it mentioned on  this board, but if not, I have certainly seen it mentioned on another media by numerous people.  We are due to go out to Malta about a month from now, so I have been reading a lot about Azura cruises. 

I do not know if the same system will take place in Tenerife, once Azura is sailing from there, nor do I know anything about the Caribbean cruises.  I think all Caribbean passengers are booked on charter flights though, so all luggage was  previously transported direct to the ships and may still be the case,

Barbara

Edited by tring

12 minutes ago, tring said:

Sorry Wozz, there is an update to that for the Med cruises, which I have mentioned above.  I think I have seen it mentioned on  this board, but if not, I have certainly seen it mentioned on another media by numerous people.  We are due to go out to Malta about a month from now, so I have been reading a lot about Azura cruises. 

I do not know if the same system will take place in Tenerife, once Azura is sailing from there, nor do I know anything about the Caribbean cruises.  I think all Caribbean passengers are booked on charter flights though, so all luggage was  previously transported direct to the ships and may still be the case,

Barbara

Thanks for the update Barbara.

My apologies for posting outdated information.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Captain_Mayhem said:

Hello,

Thanks

Just realised you also asked about the return.  You still leave your hold luggage outside your cabin on the last night as normal. 

I think the luggage is then transported straight to the plane, so you just have to collect it from the carousel in Manchester,  but I am not totally sure about that, especially if you are travelling on a scheduled flight rather than a P&O charter.  We are booked on charter flights, leaving Manchester on 29th Sept and returning from Tenerife on 22nd Oct.

Barbara

Edited by tring

Just now, wowzz said:

Thanks for the update Barbara.

My apologies for posting outdated information.

No worries, in fact the first I knew about it was when someone corrected me 🙂

• Like 1

Our cruise on Azura isn’t till March, but I’m following this thread to find out the information regarding the luggage situation.

Caribbean flights are always charter and luggage whizzed away at the airport and then delivered to cabin.

Our flight in March is with Jet 2 but it’s not clear if it’s charter or scheduled, so any information from those travelling earlier would be great - thanks in advance.

We're on Azura in January.  Flights are with Jet2.  Cruise Personaliser states the following re baggage:

Hold luggage
Baggage allowances vary by carrier, route and class, and may not be the same for all flights in your itinerary. The baggage allowance on UK domestic flights may be less then on international flights. Your baggage allowance can be found within you flight information below. For our Mediterranean fly-cruises, all guests arriving into Europe must collect their baggage on arrival at the baggage carousel and pass through customs. For our Caribbean fly-cruises, those travelling on TUI Airways charter flight will not need to collect their baggage on arrival; it will be collected on your behalf and delivered to your cabin. Those travelling on scheduled flights will need to collect hold luggage on arrival at the airport.
Due to the changing nature of security measures at UK and overseas airports, we recommend that you check with your airport for the latest updates. You can check the government’s advice on hand luggage restrictions and the latest rules about carrying liquids and electronic equipment at http://www.gov.uk/hand-luggage-restrictions For all flights, pack essentials in your hand luggage as you may arrive onboard before your suitcase.

We're flying into Tenerife, so neither the Med, nor Caribbean.

We're taking the view that Tenerife is Europe, so we're expecting to pick up our bags and take them through Customs etc.

• Like 1

Thanks everyone.  The main reason I’m asking is that I’m not sure what happens on disembarkation day.  If we don’t have an excursion booked do we get taken to the airport as soon as we get off the ship (a very long wait at the airport…) or do we have free time (with our luggage) for a few hours?

I sent a message to P&O a few days ago but haven’t heard back yet.

18 minutes ago, Captain_Mayhem said:

Thanks everyone.  The main reason I’m asking is that I’m not sure what happens on disembarkation day.  If we don’t have an excursion booked do we get taken to the airport as soon as we get off the ship (a very long wait at the airport…) or do we have free time (with our luggage) for a few hours?

I sent a message to P&O a few days ago but haven’t heard back yet.

Your transport to the airport will be timed to coincide with your return flight, and will also take into account  any flight delays. You will need to vacate your cabin early, but there will be somewhere to store your hand luggage and you can go ashore or continue to use the ship facilities and catering, as you please.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Son of Anarchy said:

We're on Azura in January.  Flights are with Jet2.  Cruise Personaliser states the following re baggage:

Hold luggage
Baggage allowances vary by carrier, route and class, and may not be the same for all flights in your itinerary. The baggage allowance on UK domestic flights may be less then on international flights. Your baggage allowance can be found within you flight information below. For our Mediterranean fly-cruises, all guests arriving into Europe must collect their baggage on arrival at the baggage carousel and pass through customs. For our Caribbean fly-cruises, those travelling on TUI Airways charter flight will not need to collect their baggage on arrival; it will be collected on your behalf and delivered to your cabin. Those travelling on scheduled flights will need to collect hold luggage on arrival at the airport.
Due to the changing nature of security measures at UK and overseas airports, we recommend that you check with your airport for the latest updates. You can check the government’s advice on hand luggage restrictions and the latest rules about carrying liquids and electronic equipment at http://www.gov.uk/hand-luggage-restrictions For all flights, pack essentials in your hand luggage as you may arrive onboard before your suitcase.

We're flying into Tenerife, so neither the Med, nor Caribbean.

We're taking the view that Tenerife is Europe, so we're expecting to pick up our bags and take them through Customs etc.

Everyone seems to be getting Jet2 flights for the winter season on Azura, so looks like they are doing the charters then.  For the summer season, there are some Jet2 charters, but also jet 2 schedule flight bookings.  I suspect they will book people on their charters first, but not sure of that. 

The seat booking system is different, so if you can book seats via cruise personaliser, it is a charter flight.  People on Jet2 schedule flights are having to book seats direct with the airline and at present they have not been bookable until 60 days before flight.  We are on a Tui flight out to Malta and were able to book seats a bit earlier than that (but not much).  Our return flights on  a Jet2 charter from Tenerife had seats again bookable about 70 days before the flight via cruise personaliser.  So flight seat bookings have been available later this year than normal.

Barbara

5 hours ago, purplesea said:

In April we flew out to Malta with TUI, but it could be dependent of which airport people are flying from as we flew from Bristol.

Yes there have been a lot of TUI charters to Malta this summer, as I mentioned ours is.  I have seen a lot of people mention Tenerife flights for this winter and they have all been on Jet 2 though.  All seem to be very early mornings as well. There are two consecutive change over days per week from there as opposed to one day a week from Malta, so not much scope, if at all, for any extra flight bookings as I see it. 

A number of people have reported being able to fly out earlier on other flights on request without any extra cost to P&O, but they have to pay and arrange their own transfers.