Live Reports - Cruising on Coral Princess September 2022.

11 hours ago, arxcards said:

The seas are easing, but it is still touch and go. Surely they have to give you another port, and Adelaide is nearby should they decide they are pulling the pin on KI sometime tomorrow.

Might be a bit bumpy tonight.

I hope the seas weren't too rough.  On my first cruise from Sydney to Perth, the seas were so rough in the Great Australian Bight many passengers were sea sick.  Turned me off cruising for thirty years!

If they can't get in to KI,  is there another port they could visit?

15 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

I was surprised by that decision too but it may not have been possible to get a port booking for a different date in either Adelaide or Port Lincoln. We will be stopping at Kangaroo Island on the originally scheduled date.

The tourist information ladies, who were so excited, told me Coral Princess was their first ship of the Season after years..  I doubt Adelaide port would be booked, nor Port Lincoln.  The locals would know. Anyone who has visited KI would know how risky it is in bad weather.  

• Like 1

12 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

Yep, I was very surprised myself. I would have thought Adelaide would have been kept. Publicity for being the first cruise ship back since covid and all.

Anyway, Melbourne has been great and while I am sad not to catch up with friends in Adelaide and cancelling our car trip down the Whalers Way in Port Lincoln, it is for the best. The ship is a great place to stay while visiting anywhere.

What is attraction of Whalers Bay?  I haven't visited Port Lincoln. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, arxcards said:

Did you get the AFL on the big screen or a lounge this evening? I know a few on the next one, who are hoping the GF will be shown somewhere.

It was on MUTS but weather was not conducive, too wet and windy.

We watched it in the stateroom, plenty of room with the lounge and a few beverages made it comfy.

• Like 5

51 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

I hope the seas weren't too rough.  On my first cruise from Sydney to Perth, the seas were so rough in the Great Australian Bight many passengers were sea sick.  Turned me off cruising for thirty years!

If they can't get in to KI,  is there another port they could visit?

Possibly Adelaide, although timing would make that tough. Perhaps back to Geelong or Eden?

36 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

What is attraction of Whalers Bay?  I haven't visited Port Lincoln. 

It is a private area on the south coast below Port Lincoln, that has beautiful landscapes and views, their is limited access that can be given for $40 per car. I cannot seem to post the link but google it and you will see. We have been to Port Lincoln before but didn't  get down the Whalers Way.

31 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

It is a private area on the south coast below Port Lincoln, that has beautiful landscapes and views, their is limited access that can be given for $40 per car. I cannot seem to post the link but google it and you will see. We have been to Port Lincoln before but didn't  get down the Whalers Way.

Thank you.  Spectacular scenery.  I'm amazed I hadn't heard of it.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MicCanberra said:

Lovely area. Went there many years ago when we lived in Adelaide. It is over a 7hr drive one way from  Adelaide so we used to take the caravan and stay at Coffin Bay caravan Park that is a 30min drive further on from Port Lincoln, another beautiful place. Oyster Kilpatrick on the barbecue from the Oyster farm nearby yum. 😊 

Edited by JohnGc
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

That is the plan, doubt we will get ashore though.

The forecast is good for Penneshaw, Mic. Light seas, light winds, partly cloudy and cool. Penneshaw is sheltered by the island from the swells coming from the southwest.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, JohnGc said:

Lovely area. Went there many years ago when we lived in Adelaide. It is over a 7hr drive one way from  Adelaide so we used to take the caravan and stay at Coffin Bay caravan Park that is a 30min drive further on from Port Lincoln, another beautiful place. Oyster Kilpatrick on the barbecue from the Oyster farm nearby yum. 😊 

Sorry guys did not mean to rub it in, the mention of Port Lincoln brought back some happy memories. 

It is sad the rough seas has stopped your plans but I hope you are still enjoying the cruise.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

The forecast is good for Penneshaw, Mic. Light seas, light winds, partly cloudy and cool. Penneshaw is sheltered by the island from the swells coming from the southwest.

BOM's Marine wind warnings still has the South central coast having strong winds. Time will tell if we get ashore, I certainly hope we do.

6 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

I did it via the ship's tour on Pacific Jewel around 6 years ago and it was one of the best tours I have done.  Took about 7 hours.  Think it was called the Rugged coast tour (could be wrong).  So interesting.  We met one of the owners and he told us about the history of the place.  Only drawback were the corrugated roads which rattled the old bones.  Wild and wonderful.  Would do it again if ever I get back to Port Lincoln.  One of my favourite ports.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

I have credit with the car hire place now, just don't know when or if I will ever get to use it.

I don't like this new custom of giving credits in lieu of refunds when ships can't get into port.  You should be entitled to a refund.

2 hours ago, MMDown Under said:

I don't like this new custom of giving credits in lieu of refunds when ships can't get into port.  You should be entitled to a refund.

I should clarify, it is only the cancellation fee that is kept as a credit. Got to be happy with that.

• Like 1