Which deck is recommended when you are prone to Seasickness?

ninaks

I am doing my first ocean cruise on the Koningsdam next summer for Alaska inside passage cruise.  I have been told mid ship is best but  is it better to be higher or lower deck to feel the least movement on the ship or does it not make a difference?  i plan to have medicine ready like Bonine if i get sick or maybe a patch but want to see what i can do by choosing best location.  I have also been told starboard side if going North on the inside passage is best views.  We are planning to get a balcony room unobstructed view.  Any advice is greatly appreciated

6 minutes ago, ninaks said:

I am doing my first ocean cruise on the Koningsdam next summer for Alaska inside passage cruise.  I have been told mid ship is best but  is it better to be higher or lower deck to feel the least movement on the ship or does it not make a difference?  i plan to have medicine ready like Bonine if i get sick or maybe a patch but want to see what i can do by choosing best location.  I have also been told starboard side if going North on the inside passage is best views.  We are planning to get a balcony room unobstructed view.  Any advice is greatly appreciated

Lowest decks are best.  And midship.

• Like 6

The lowest deck possible.  I was on the Volendam midship. You will be leaving in the late afternoon.  The Narrows channel will be late into the night and you won't be able to see it.  I presume you are on a one way.  It won't make much difference.

Edited by Dancing Shoes

Yep.  Lowest deck, midship w/ the room type you want.

I also recommend generic meclizine over brand name Bonine--much cheaper. 

I'm very sensitive to meds, so I bought children's dosing [12.5mg vs. 25mg adult dose] and I find that it's perfect.  I can take half a pill "just in case" and then another half if the seas kick up.  You can also get chewables in adult 25mg.  It's a preventative, not a curative, so it needs to be taken in advance of any motion illness.

https://www.amazon.com/Meclizine-Hcl-12-5-Milligrams-Cplts/dp/B00P03F1LU/ref=sr_1_3?crid=3FFHMMRPZCE13&keywords=rugby+meclizine+12.5mg&qid=1662159165&s=hpc&sprefix=rugby+meclizine+12.%2Chpc%2C120&sr=1-3

I tried the scopolamine patches and I couldn't take the side effects--or the price.

58 minutes ago, Red Haired Lady said:

Lowest decks are best.  And midship.

I agree.  I also recommend Seabands. They are wristbands with a small 

button that you put near your wrist. It's acupressure. I wear them when the ship 

is at sea and take them off when I shower. I like them because they're 

drug free.  At Walmart I think price was under $15 for 2 wristbands in 

a package. CVS cost was a little more. You could probably get them 

on Amazon too.

• Like 1

TL;DR verision:  Low down is what matters most.

I have a very limited understanding of the math behind this, but think I can give you a "Explain like I'm Five" version:

When you're worried about the ship moving around a lot and causing you to become seasick, the best thing to do is get as low as you can.  Most of the times, what people feel are actually the ship "heeling," or rolling side to side because of winds/waves (mostly winds) coming in from the sides. This is called "Transverse Instability."  Fortunately, the lower you are on the ship, the closer you are to the center of gravity: the very bottom of the ship.  Consider that to be the point that the heeling pivots around as the center of buoyancy changes with the change of angle.

So, lower = better.  Also, ships do have side stabilizers to help with this as well, you might have seen fins sticking out of the sides before.  They're there to help prevent the ship from rolling side to side.

As for front to back rocking, the longitudinal stability is in general much, much greater than the side to side transverse stability, so it's barely an issue that's looked at.  But my dad spent three years on an aircraft carrier, and he swears that the back is better.  I, on the other hand, would prefer midship simply because at some point, I am going to need to do something other than sit in my room being green, and I don't want to walk all over creation to go grab a fizzy drink to settle my tummy.

Interestingly, a ship with a low GM (metacentric height) will roll significantly, and is referred to as "Tender".  Think about that next time you're pulling into Half Moon Cay.

There's so much to learn out here on the wild seas of the internet.  Know where your life preserver is, and don't forget your towel.

Sources include: 

The excellent article, "Ship Stability, Understanding Intact Stability of Ships" by Soumya Chakraborty, 2021

From Wikipedia, ""Metacentric Height"

• Like 3

If motion sickness is significant in your medical background you may want to look into one of these FDA approved wrist stimulators that sends electrical impulses to the brain which in turn stimulates stomach not to be nauseous. My daughter was given this during her pregnancy to stop nausea and it worked for her and testimonies of it’s effectiveness are high.

https://www.emeterm.com/products/emeterm-motion-sickness-band-4?currency=USD&variant=29482465525854&utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=google&utm_campaign=Google Shopping&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIx5vXvZP4-QIV22xvBB1P7Q4EEAQYCiABEgIlSPD_BwE

Discussion with your physician is always recommended.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, OHCruiser said:

Yep.  Lowest deck, midship w/ the room type you want.

I also recommend generic meclizine over brand name Bonine--much cheaper. 

I'm very sensitive to meds, so I bought children's dosing [12.5mg vs. 25mg adult dose] and I find that it's perfect.  I can take half a pill "just in case" and then another half if the seas kick up.  You can also get chewables in adult 25mg.  It's a preventative, not a curative, so it needs to be taken in advance of any motion illness.

https://www.amazon.com/Meclizine-Hcl-12-5-Milligrams-Cplts/dp/B00P03F1LU/ref=sr_1_3?crid=3FFHMMRPZCE13&keywords=rugby+meclizine+12.5mg&qid=1662159165&s=hpc&sprefix=rugby+meclizine+12.%2Chpc%2C120&sr=1-3

I tried the scopolamine patches and I couldn't take the side effects--or the price.

Patches are controversial due to possible side effects.  In some people they can cause/promote psychotic episodes. I only know this from a recent accounting from a family member. When the husband called Medical as his wife was acting erratically, he was asked if she had the patch, to remove it immediately and then wash the area with soap and water for a period of time.  That fixed the problem.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, ninaks said:

I have also been told starboard side if going North on the inside passage is best views.  We are planning to get a balcony room unobstructed view.  Any advice is greatly appreciated

Was on the Koningsdam in June 2022 and I admit I'm not the best on the water.  I was midship, starboard, deck 5.  Never noticed the motion in the cabin.  Second day was the roughest, but really only noticed it in the MDR (aft).  As everybody stated - midship and low is best.

49 minutes ago, bcummin said:

You might be pleasantly surprised that you do not get seasick!

same here on Westerdam Deck 10 and aft!  Maybe we got lucky or being close to shore helped? I did feel a lot of vibration at night for some reason?

My last cruise in the Gulf of Mexico I was really seasick.  Had generic meclizine. Scop. patches were expensive. 

Edited by JesseLivermore
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, silversneakers said:

Patches are controversial due to possible side effects.  In some people they can cause/promote psychotic episodes. I only know this from a recent accounting from a family member. When the husband called Medical as his wife was acting erratically, he was asked if she had the patch, to remove it immediately and then wash the area with soap and water for a period of time.  That fixed the problem.

We were in the Galapagos on a small ship--75 to 100 passengers--and the seas were like glass.  One woman wore a patch 24/7 [NOT recommended] and about 3 days in she started acting strangely.  We went on a hike one morning and she suddenly sat down in the sand and seemed to be actively hallucinating. 

My DH is an MD/anesthesiologist and he told her husband that they'd better remove the patch immediately because she seemed to be having scopolamine toxicity.  Problems compound when alcohol is involved, too...

• Like 1

I take prescription Meclizine, 25 mg., as needed.  It is fairly  inexpensive (I believe around $6 for 30 pills).  It works for me if the seas are a bit rough.  I did not care for the taste of the chewable Bonnie tablets.  I used the Scopamine (sp?) patches my first cruise and felt very dehydrated (very thirsty) the entire cruise.  We have stayed  mid ship and aft and both locations were fine for me.  I would not choose to stay on the front of the ship because I have heard you feel the most movement at that location.

On 9/2/2022 at 7:29 PM, BetsyS. said:

I agree.  I also recommend Seabands. They are wristbands with a small 

button that you put near your wrist. It's acupressure. I wear them when the ship 

is at sea and take them off when I shower. I like them because they're 

drug free.  At Walmart I think price was under $15 for 2 wristbands in 

a package. CVS cost was a little more. You could probably get them 

on Amazon too.

Seabands are the very best!  I have tried every seasickness cure known to mankind.  LOL  With Seabands I don't have any issues.  The first time I used them we bounced on the edge of a hurricane for 36 hours and I was fine.  However, just to be on the safe side, be sure to have a back up like Gravol or Bonnie.  

• Like 1

As everyone has said, midship and lower is best. Good news is that the inside passage out of Vancouver is “usually” pretty calm we have found.My DH used to get a little seasick, and found the patches and medications made him feel groggy and “off”. He now uses gravel ginger everyday (it’s too late once you feel Ill) and sea bands as needed. 

On 9/3/2022 at 10:18 AM, JesseLivermore said:

same here on Westerdam Deck 10 and aft!  Maybe we got lucky or being close to shore helped? I did feel a lot of vibration at night for some reason?

umm... Westerdam Deck 10 only has forward cabins? 

We were in one of the insides-with-windows on the Zuiderdam (forward Deck 10, but nearest mid for forward) and felt no movement (on a transAtlantic). 

On the Volendam or Zaandam, bay of Alaska -- midship Deck 3, Bay of Alaska -- some members of my family party did get queasy, just that one day. 

5 hours ago, crystalspin said:

umm... Westerdam Deck 10 only has forward cabins? 

We were in one of the insides-with-windows on the Zuiderdam (forward Deck 10, but nearest mid for forward) and felt no movement (on a transAtlantic). 

On the Volendam or Zaandam, bay of Alaska -- midship Deck 3, Bay of Alaska -- some members of my family party did get queasy, just that one day. 

that's why they were so cheap ;jj/k sorry meant  forward VB.

I was warned that they would be the worst on the ship. Also my parents were in a K inside and they did fine to 

• Like 1