BEWARE! NCL PRIMA SLIDES OBSTRUCTING BALCONY VIEWS INCLUDING HAVEN ROOMS!

dhjson

5 hours ago, deepbluediver said:

To NCL's credit, they are quite conscious of safety on their waterslides on their many ships. There's usually someone at the top of the slide and maybe someone at the bottom to give the OK (via walky-talkies) that the person who went into the slide came out the other end, before they send the next person down.

5 hours ago, debenson0723 said:

This is correct. I watched several people come down the slide today and the employee at the top told the employee at the bottom which slide was being used (white or blue). They alternated each side. And there was absolutely no screaming...its only about 10 seconds from start to finish.

It is common to find slide operators having checks and balances for safety. On the getaway there was only one person running the drop slides and that person was in charge of loading up the tube (teaching you how to cross your arms, where to stand, etc...) while also watching to make sure that the person exited the slide at the bottom before sending another. There was no one at the bottom to signal to the top. Just a one man show. I felt there was room for error in that particular situation. 

• 4 months later...
On 9/19/2022 at 12:11 PM, Reese15233 said:

(I am in 11942 a balcony on the beginning of the curve in rounded aft section)

Hi

Can you tell me about the Balcony in 11942? 

We're looking at the Viva , same Cabin #

Is the Balcony Bigger?/

Thanks 

Colleen

• 2 months later...
7 minutes ago, Blizzard56 said:

So I actually do need a HC cabin.  My husband is paralyzed and needs a cabin with roll in shower and wider cabin.  

With that being said....what cabin would you recommend?

Dianne

While you may receive an answer on this board, I suggest you also try here:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/114-disabled-cruise-travel/

5 hours ago, Blizzard56 said:

thank you and I just checked and no mention of Prima on it!

BUT it did help with my cruise to Hawaii

You start your own topic on this board and on the other board.  Use a topic  name like "Accessible Cabin on Prima."

To start a new topic, look on the top of the index page for the NCL and the  other board.  There will be a blue square that says "Start New Topic."

Click on it and you will get the form to do so.

If anyone has the information, they will respond.

Edited by Homosassa
  • Thanks 1

• 9 months later...

Currently on the Prima (sailed 2/2/24).  We are in 10214 and some have listed this as an obstructive view.  There is the slide just to the left of our balcony.  It does not impact the massive view we have of the ocean. I’ve attached some views.  The deepest point of the balcony is about 10 feet deep and slightly angular.  There is a lounge chair.  We have 3 other chairs and a table.  The balcony is the width a two normal cabins as this is a suite (separate bedroom).  Due to the location of the room the balcony is actually wider than cabin.  I estimate we have 20” of railing on the side of the ship.  Each pane of glass is about 4’ and there are 5 panes. The 6th pane is in a small rectangular area for the slide support column.  If you want to book a suite with a massive balcony you can’t go wrong with this room.

IMG_5413.thumb.png.f9071a56f8e1fc7aad2b9b7fc296b0d7.pngIMG_5415.thumb.png.162beb9aaaa425bee45a58ec1af193a9.pngIMG_5412.thumb.png.1bc67be757144f33ec0dc2030ffca791.pngIMG_5414.jpeg.22612952b194b7ff3e46a41186eb0147.jpeg

IMG_5411.jpeg

IMG_5409.jpeg

Edited by JGRUSS02
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

28 minutes ago, JGRUSS02 said:

Currently on the Prima (sailed 2/2/24).  We are in 10214 and some have listed this as an obstructive view.  There is the slide just to the left of our balcony.  It does not impact the massive view we have of the ocean. I’ve attached some views.  The deepest point of the balcony is about 10 feet deep and slightly angular.  There is a lounge chair.  We have 3 other chairs and a table.  The balcony is the width a two normal cabins as this is a suite (separate bedroom).  Due to the location of the room the balcony is actually wider than cabin.  I estimate we have 20” of railing on the side of the ship.  Each pane of glass is about 4’ and there are 5 panes. The 6th pane is in a small rectangular area for the slide support column.  If you want to book a suite with a massive balcony you can’t go wrong with this room.

IMG_5413.thumb.png.f9071a56f8e1fc7aad2b9b7fc296b0d7.pngIMG_5415.thumb.png.162beb9aaaa425bee45a58ec1af193a9.pngIMG_5412.thumb.png.1bc67be757144f33ec0dc2030ffca791.pngIMG_5414.jpeg.22612952b194b7ff3e46a41186eb0147.jpeg

IMG_5411.jpeg

IMG_5409.jpeg

It has been accepted as fact on CC that the folks staying in balconies near the slides are going to have to put up with the people on the slides screaming all day. 

How are you coping with the screaming?

1 hour ago, SeaShark said:

It has been accepted as fact on CC that the folks staying in balconies near the slides are going to have to put up with the people on the slides screaming all day. 

Do they run these slides every day, sea days, only in port?

3 hours ago, SeaShark said:

I’ve been sitting on my balcony 3 feet from the tube and I don’t hear them go by.   I hear them when they get out down on 8.  

the starboard side has double slides and they are probably noisier.  I honestly don’t hear anyone go by the balcony.  I had a friend do the slide and tell the entire time and we could hear him just a bit.  Again, we are on deck 10 and it finishes on deck 8.  Maybe people are done yelling by the time they nearly reach the end. 

image.thumb.jpg.f7c9e564f9b26ac4ad6ceb6e25cd0b8c.jpg

Edited by JGRUSS02
Spelling
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

2 hours ago, Fogfog said:

Do they run these slides every day, sea days, only in port?

Not sure about port days.  They’ve been running the slide today while we are sea.  I’ll post an update tomorrow from Costa Maya 

Edited by JGRUSS02
Grammar
  • Thanks 1

@JGRUSS02

how is the noise from general traffic etc on that wide promenade below?

Just watched a vid where the reviewer said folks complained about the noise on the balconies from the people/loungers/pools etc on the wide promenade. 

Guessing it depends on age of pax and whether there ae tons of kids/short booze cruise ot what have you

FWIW, we recently had 2 Prima balconies, #9810 and 9814 - starboard side on last November's TA westbound toward NY ... and one of them being right behind or next to the large corner 1 BR suite, equivalent of #10214 on the port side (1 deck higher) and noise issues with and without the water slide being used ... nope, not a problem for us, nothing that we can recall.  Well, of course, we're on a TA and had very few children and teens to speak of, nor any noisy grown-ups below on the Ocean Walk, by the Infinity Pool, etc. - perhaps, we're just lucky on that given sailing at almost full double occupancies.  YMMV ... especially during school breaks & sailing in warmer or tropical climates with outdoor & water activities in full-on mode.  

On our upcoming Prima run, going to be a deck higher - as we prefer and do not feel the need to be high up ... 2 balconies, 1 being more forward in between the elevators/stairs, port side (that should be rather quiet) and the other one toward the back (that's likely to see more activities below us and possibly noises during the day ... weather permitting, etc. when not in ports)  The number of sea days should mitigate against it, not that we go to sleep "early" and/or expect deck parties outside toward the midnight ... witching hours. 

Close the sliding balcony door, locked & sealed, pull those blackout curtain shut - darked room, worked pretty good for us.  There's a sound/noise "app" for that, just in case ...   

As to those funky squeaks & metallatic noises coming from behind the wall & ceiling panels/joints or other interior areas of our room, that's a different story - YMMV ... yes, we heard those, regardless & we had calm sea the whole time, aside for maybe 8 to 10 hours of moderate sea state, 8 to 9 ft. to 11 to 12 ft. at most.  

We are assigned to 10910 (work trip - we didn't get to pick) on Norwegian Prima.  Will our view looking aft be blocked by the slides?  Does anyone have a deck plan that shows which rooms the slides are in front of?  I looked on the NCL website and can only find deck plans without the slides.

1 hour ago, Becky Brown said:

We are assigned to 10910 (work trip - we didn't get to pick) on Norwegian Prima.  Will our view looking aft be blocked by the slides?  Does anyone have a deck plan that shows which rooms the slides are in front of?  I looked on the NCL website and can only find deck plans without the slides.

You are behind the slides so they won’t block the aft view.  On the deck plans, the slides are right at the corner where the ship narrows and they have a gray tube on the plans.

7 hours ago, Becky Brown said:

I'm sorry.  I typed the wrong room number.  We are in 10190.

Google deckplans and ncl prima. There are links to the "sister" cabins starboard that will give you an idea about your room in general

Happy sailing

IMG_5436.thumb.jpeg.6ad1c69fb144bc31e006a45994190b8b.jpeg

On 2/3/2024 at 2:43 PM, JGRUSS02 said:

Not sure about port days.  They’ve been running the slide today while we are sea.  I’ll post an update tomorrow from Costa Maya 

We are at Harvest Cay (Belize) today and I don’t see anyone coming down the slide.  

IMG_5437.jpeg

Edited by JGRUSS02

On 2/3/2024 at 3:09 PM, Fogfog said:

@JGRUSS02

how is the noise from general traffic etc on that wide promenade below?

Just watched a vid where the reviewer said folks complained about the noise on the balconies from the people/loungers/pools etc on the wide promenade. 

Guessing it depends on age of pax and whether there ae tons of kids/short booze cruise ot what have you

I guess it would depend on the cruise but so far I haven’t been bothered at all about the folks waking on deck 8.  Obviously we have had 2 port days thus far.  Folks on this cruise seem rather calm and I have no complaints.  The pool deck is pretty busy but I just stay on our balcony due to massive amount of space.  

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, JGRUSS02 said:

I guess it would depend on the cruise but so far I haven’t been bothered at all about the folks waking on deck 8.  Obviously we have had 2 port days thus far.  Folks on this cruise seem rather calm and I have no complaints.  The pool deck is pretty busy but I just stay on our balcony due to massive amount of space.  

So glad it all worked out!  The pictures of your balcony look lovely!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JGRUSS02 said:

IMG_5436.thumb.jpeg.6ad1c69fb144bc31e006a45994190b8b.jpeg

We are at Harvest Cay (Belize) today and I don’t see anyone coming down the slide.  

IMG_5437.jpeg

Update.  The tube slide is open and I finally heard someone scream.  I didn’t know they were in the side until they reached the end 

• Haha 1