MSC Downgrade (Changed) ship / vessel

talr

We made reservation directly from MSC Cruises on MSC Virtuosa (Meraviglia Plus Class) after less than a week we got a message from MSC Cruises that they downgrade (Changed) ship / vessel to a lower class ship.

We already paid for flights, hotels, car rental which are not refundable.

MSC is willing to give refund only on the cruise cost.

MSC is not willing to give any real compensation

Anyone has experience with such case?

What shall we do?

Tal

8 hours ago, talr said:

What shall we do?

Take your decision between the options you have.

If a ship is "lower class" is purely your perception. For example for some people bigger is better, for others smaller, or modern vs more traditional. Which ship is it? You certainly can have a great time on each of the MSC ships.

If it is still the same date and itinerary, I probably would still go. 

• Like 2

MSC has no "lower" class ships.

They have newer ships, older ships, larger ships, and smaller ships.

All offer the same MSC service and experience.

MSC has offered you a refund if you want one.  They do not owe you any other compensation.

Decide to either cruise or cancel and take the refund.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, talr said:

that they downgrade (Changed) ship / vessel to a lower class ship.

If it is the Preziosa, calling her a lower class ship should disqualify you from ever booking MSC again 😉

And I find it quite generous from them that they offer you a refund just because the ship has changed. Usually they not even give a refund for a dropped port. 

17 hours ago, talr said:

We made reservation directly from MSC Cruises on MSC Virtuosa (Meraviglia Plus Class) after less than a week we got a message from MSC Cruises that they downgrade (Changed) ship / vessel to a lower class ship.

What shall we do?

Tal

Lower class  than what? Did their email specifically say it was a lower class ship?  

16 minutes ago, awhcruiser said:

Ok...I haven't  been on MSC yet.

There is another thread where someone was on Virtuosa (Meraviglia Plus class) and was switched to Bellissima (Meraviglia class) but they were also bumped up from Aurea to Yacht Club.

The OP of this thread might not get an experience bump up but they won't get bumped down....probably (it's MSC so anything is possible). 

Since the OP has so much invested so far, I don't really see a reason to panic. Since the two ships are so similar, I don't really see a reason to cancel. 

7 hours ago, Homosassa said:

MSC has no "lower" class ships.....

.....All offer the same MSC service and experience.

Whilst I agree there are no 'lower' class ships, it is totally untrue to say all offer the same experience(s). Many of the older ship do not have the Yacht Club experience! 😉

• Like 1

19 hours ago, talr said:

What shall we do?

Tal

Assuming you booked your flights, hotels etc. independently then MSC have no liability whatsoever for such costs. With regard to ship change, and your other costs, the T&C PDF is your friend!😉

5 hours ago, RD64 said:

Virtuoso and Bellissima are both basically brand new - perhaps a year apart. Definitely not a “lower class” of ship.

And they are so similar that most passengers could not tell on which ship they are. Going from Virtuosa to Lirica would be a difference, but one could argue that it is not a downgrade to go from a crazy big ship to a smaller and more releaxed ship. Smaller ships are by no means cheaper 🙂 

OP hasn't posted back here but if they do, I was on Bellissima only two weeks ago, it was a fantastic experience. My first with MSC, I enjoyed it so much, the MDR was my favourite thing, the food was so good. Just order lots of dishes and enjoy. 

From what I can see the only difference between Bellissima and Virtuosa is a panoramic glass lift. 

15 hours ago, hamrag said:

Whilst I agree there are no 'lower' class ships, it is totally untrue to say all offer the same experience(s). Many of the older ship do not have the Yacht Club experience! 😉

The lack of a Yacht Club taking up public space on the ship would be a plus in my book.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Homosassa said:

The lack of a Yacht Club taking up public space on the ship would be a plus in my book.

Lucky for you, MSC can accommodate your desire on some of their ships.  Luckily, they also have some ships with a large Yacht Club footprint to satisfy the desire of myself and my DW (and quite a few others, I'm guessing).

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Two Wheels Only said:

The OP of this thread might not get an experience bump up but they won't get bumped down....probably (it's MSC so anything is possible). 

I personally have been bumped down with no reduction in fare. If I don't like it, cancel!

Yacht club Deluxe to a balcony on deck 8.

PXL_20210925_124436611.MP~3.jpg

21 hours ago, hamrag said:

Assuming you booked your flights, hotels etc. independently then MSC have no liability whatsoever for such costs. With regard to ship change, and your other costs, the T&C PDF is your friend!😉

They don't follow the T&C or CLIA passenger rights either.

I took a legal run at that and found out as a passenger you can be screwed over. You would win a suit, but the costs are to prohibited.

Edited by mscdivina2016

2 hours ago, mscdivina2016 said:

They don't follow the T&C or CLIA passenger rights either.

I took a legal run at that and found out as a passenger you can be screwed over. You would win a suit, but the costs are to prohibited.

I might be wrong, but am 'almost certain' you have mentioned this previously.....! 😵