General Dawn Questions

alwalaska

I haven't been on the Dawn since the refurb in 2016, plus, I can't seem to remember much about the ship itself from our most recent Dawn cruise.

Are there outdoor games available like ping pong, shuffleboard, etc?

Which lounges have evening entertainment?  We usually enjoy the singers or guitar players that they have had in the past.

Is there a card/game room?

Do they still have daily puzzle sheets available in the library to pick up each morning?

Thanks!!

54 minutes ago, alwalaska said:

I haven't been on the Dawn since the refurb in 2016, plus, I can't seem to remember much about the ship itself from our most recent Dawn cruise.

Which lounges have evening entertainment?  We usually enjoy the singers or guitar players that they have had in the past.

Do they still have daily puzzle sheets available in the library to pick up each morning?

Thanks!!

Yes.

Just about all of them.

Yes.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, alwalaska said:

Thanks!!

Don't forget to spend some time admiring the art on the walls of the Venetian Restaurant. An experience one must savor for themselves. I know I'll never forget it!!

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, cruiserbear55 said:

Don't forget to spend some time admiring the art on the walls of the Venetian Restaurant. An experience one must savor for themselves. I know I'll never forget it!!

Interesting.  I don't think I had heard of them.  Is the Venetian the "pants required" main included dining room?

12 hours ago, alwalaska said:

All of the lounges have music in the evenings. 3 or 4 lounges will be having something going on at the same time. You won't be bored.

10 hours ago, susiesan said:

All of the lounges have music in the evenings. 3 or 4 lounges will be having something going on at the same time. You won't be bored.

Thanks.  I'm not worried about being bored, I just was wondering since some of the lounges on the Dawn do not seem very entertainment friendly.  Also, I didn't know if post restart was still the same as pre-COVID cruising.   One of my favorite lounges went away in a refurb to make room for more suites.

Part of my questions are because I am trying to put together a photo scavenger hunt for our M&G group, but couldn't find enough recent photos to figure out what was still there and what wasn't.

2 hours ago, alwalaska said:

Thanks.  I'm not worried about being bored, I just was wondering since some of the lounges on the Dawn do not seem very entertainment friendly.  Also, I didn't know if post restart was still the same as pre-COVID cruising.   One of my favorite lounges went away in a refurb to make room for more suites.

Part of my questions are because I am trying to put together a photo scavenger hunt for our M&G group, but couldn't find enough recent photos to figure out what was still there and what wasn't.

There is a site called Cruise Deck Plans. If you go there, click on NCL and bring up the Dawn deck plans. All of the public decks have the different venues identified and mapped out. You’ll also see small cameras in different sections of each venue. Click on any camera and it will give you a view of the room from that angle. We haven’t been on the Dawn since2018, but the pictures seem to be as remembered.

No "Formal Night" on any Norwegian ship.  There is a "Dress Up or Not" Night.  Pre- Covid, the Captain was availavle for pictures that "Night".  Not sure if ths is happening now or on all ships yet.

There are usually one or two comedians on board.

17 hours ago, alwalaska said:

Interesting.  I don't think I had heard of them.  Is the Venetian the "pants required" main included dining room?

Pants are required in all public areas.  Some will allow short pants some only long, but you must wear pants (thank God)_.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, victory2020 said:

Did they have a "formal night"? Should I bring something dressy? Also, were there comedians?

1 hour ago, www3traveler said:

No "Formal Night" on any Norwegian ship.  There is a "Dress Up or Not" Night.  Pre- Covid, the Captain was availavle for pictures that "Night".  Not sure if ths is happening now or on all ships yet.

There are usually one or two comedians on board.

Like www3traveler said, no formal nights.  Some ships actually have a "comedy club" type location, but the Dawn does not have this, but again like www3traveler said, one of the performers onboard is usually a comedian and typically does both a large main show and sometimes a smaller show in another location. 

I may miss some things so if others want to add, please do. 

Games on the Dawn:  shuffleboard, deck 7 starboard.  Outdoor Chess, checkers, deck 13 behind Cagney’s, starboard.   Basketball court up one deck.  Golf driving cage Deck 13 port.  Can’t remember where the pong pong is. Either 13 or 7 

Pool, 4 hot tubs and one all the way foreword. 

You are correct the forward area on deck 12 is now suites. That conversion is many years old, no forward lounge. 

I think most of the entertainment is at 

Bliss Lounge Deck 7, aft 
Gatsby’s Deck 6 

Atrium Coffee area Deck 7 

There is also a few wine bars, one near Gatsby’s and the other aft deck 7 port side. 

The one bar that I found hard to find on the NCL website was an outdoor  bar, at the top of the terraced deck chair levels by the pool. 

The evening shows were juggler, magician and an aerial acrobatic married couple from  Ukraine who were clearly the favorite. There was also a broadway/opera? show we didn’t see. Last night all groups performed together; again the headliner was the Ukrainian couple.

We took the cruised for the Baltic itinerary, and were busy off ship most days.   

On 9/7/2022 at 1:28 AM, cruiserbear55 said:

Neo Pop Expressionism is the way the Park West Art manager explained them to me.  I’m not really a fan, and I know that NCL’s Alain Magnier, who frequently serves as the Dawn GM, and was on board during the renovation when they were installed, was all but apoplectic when he first saw them.  Most of the art consists of copies of old masters portraits, but with bold splashes of red or white paint covering much of each piece of art.  When Alain saw them, he thought some of the workmen has accidentally splashed paint on them, ruining them.  To say that they are an acquired taste is a bit of an understatement.  I’ve sailed on the Dawn several times, including twice since the renovation, but I now avoid the Venetian restaurant, usually dining in a specialty venue or at least in the secondary dining room.  Personally, I can’t stand to look at them.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 9/7/2022 at 4:33 PM, milolii said:

I may miss some things so if others want to add, please do. 

Games on the Dawn:  shuffleboard, deck 7 starboard.  Outdoor Chess, checkers, deck 13 behind Cagney’s, starboard.   Basketball court up one deck.  Golf driving cage Deck 13 port.  Can’t remember where the pong pong is. Either 13 or 7 

Pool, 4 hot tubs and one all the way foreword. 

You are correct the forward area on deck 12 is now suites. That conversion is many years old, no forward lounge. 

I think most of the entertainment is at 

Bliss Lounge Deck 7, aft 
Gatsby’s Deck 6 

Atrium Coffee area Deck 7 

There is also a few wine bars, one near Gatsby’s and the other aft deck 7 port side. 

The one bar that I found hard to find on the NCL website was an outdoor  bar, at the top of the terraced deck chair levels by the pool. 

The evening shows were juggler, magician and an aerial acrobatic married couple from  Ukraine who were clearly the favorite. There was also a broadway/opera? show we didn’t see. Last night all groups performed together; again the headliner was the Ukrainian couple.

We took the cruised for the Baltic itinerary, and were busy off ship most days.   

Thank you so much!!   We are not port intensive on our Dawn cruise.  I hope you enjoyed the Baltic itinerary.  Ours was canceled twice and we gave up for now.

On 9/8/2022 at 1:00 PM, Jerseygich said:

Just seeing this. Are long pants required in the Venetian dining room or would a nice pair of shorts suffice?

Shorts will probably not work.  The wording is quite vague in the recent dailies I found.  It says shorts are allowed in all dining EXCEPT and Venetian is one of the except locations on the Dawn.  I have seen women in dressy capris, but not shorts.  I heard that a man in Bermuda shorts, with the socks and tie that match and all on a Bermuda itinerary who was turned away, so it all depends on who is at the check-in counter that night.

14 minutes ago, alwalaska said:

Shorts will probably not work.  The wording is quite vague in the recent dailies I found.  It says shorts are allowed in all dining EXCEPT and Venetian is one of the except locations on the Dawn.  I have seen women in dressy capris, but not shorts.  I heard that a man in Bermuda shorts, with the socks and tie that match and all on a Bermuda itinerary who was turned away, so it all depends on who is at the check-in counter that night.

Bermuda shorts with knee socks, dress shoes, coat and tie is considered darn close to formal wear in Bermuda.  It’s a shame the folks on the NCL ship were culturally unaware.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, alwalaska said:

That wording doesn’t sound at all vague to me. The staffs decisions as to whether to implement the rules is always fairly random, but the wording seems quite clear that shorts aren’t allowed.

Edited by KeithJenner

5 hours ago, KeithJenner said:

That wording doesn’t sound at all vague to me. The staffs decisions as to whether to implement the rules is always fairly random, but the wording seems quite clear that shorts aren’t allowed.

I'm sorry that I didn't explain well what I meant.  It covers well what is not allowed, it just doesn't talk about what is allowed.

• Like 1