Starlink Speed Test posted from first ship to deploy the high speed internet

Celebrity Beyond is the first Royal Caribbean ship and the first cruise ship period to officially launch SpaceX Starlink High Speed internet for guests. The speeds Celebrity brand ambassador Ade is showing via his iPhone exceeded 117mbps. Almost as fast as what I get here at home (125mbps). He did not post the pricing information so we don't know yet if Royal will be requiring a second mortgage to get these speeds. 🙂 If any of y'all are on any RCCL ships that are offering the service with posted pricing, please let us know. It certainly looks promising for remote work from the ship. image.thumb.png.6b0da17c1aeec8d4f4219fad548c5af9.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Biker19 said:

The ping is not that good - O3B levels.

As to be expected because of signal transit time to the Satellites ....4 hops...UP from ship and then down to land and then back up and down to ship on the return trip.....this is why gamers don't play on sat connections 😉

Edited by dodgestang

Ping is a bit high, but for what you are getting, not bad.

I have Starlink in Arizona and I am often as low as 60ms on the ping. I suspect out on the Ocean there is just less coverage so far. 60ms ping makes playing online gaming possible without noticeable lag. So, Starlink is really exciting for the future. I am excited to see where this goes in 10 years.

4 minutes ago, bstel said:

yeah and how many other guests were connected at the same time?  was this on an actual cruise with a few thousand passengers?

Yes, Beyond (and Freedom) have been using the system on high capacity sailings. Only RCI and Celebrity know how many people are connected at the same time. 

26 minutes ago, bstel said:

yeah and how many other guests were connected at the same time?  was this on an actual cruise with a few thousand passengers?

Yes, if you read my first post, this was on the Celebrity Beyond which is currently sailing almost full on the President's Cruise. This test was run on that ship that has deployed the system live to guests.

Why is that picture taken mid test, instead of waiting 10 seconds and showing a picture of the actual results? Pretty suspect to anyone who actually uses the speedtest website to know.

Starlink has been live for guests on Freedom much of the summer. (Beyond is just the first they are maketing, not the first to actually get it.) Most reports of tests put download speeds in the 10-15 mbps range during heavy usage times (evenings, sea days) with better ping than showed there; but upload speeds often down to the 1 to 2 mbps range. That's good enough for working from the ship if you mostly need to access information and send emails/documents; but definitely below what you need for reliable zoom calls.

Sppedtest is recording Starlinks faster than it actually is most of the time.   I would prefer to see a speedtest off the starlink app, but assuming that is not possible on the ship.

We have had Starlink since April and it has been a game changer for those of us who live in rural areas.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Biker19 said:

Zoom calls can work all the way down to current Surf limits (500kb down), though the video may be pixilated.

can work =/= reliable. And it's not the download speeds that are concerning, it's the upload speeds. The tests on Freedom have not consistently shown improvement in upload speeds than current, and often are below what Zoom themselves say is needed for reliable usage.