Panorama trip cut short?

Matco

Anyone currently aboard Panorama? Looks like the current sailing is being cut short due to hurricane Kay. Looks like they were in Cabo first and then went to Mazatlán for a bit skipped Puerto Vallarta and are now headed to long beach or possible Ensenada as a substitute? I was trying to pull up the bridge cam but is seems they are down. She is in some pretty rough seas currently, looking like 7+ meters or 22+ feet, rain and wind. Just curious if anyone on board could share some info or pictures 

• Like 1

I saw that Carnival Magic is losing a day in Bermuda due to hurricane Earl also. Hopefully the ships affected can stay away from the worst effects and be safe.

It’s never good to have your itinerary changed, but it’s always better to put safety first. I’m sure some will find a way to blame Carnival for the hurricanes, lol.

• Like 4

They will miss a port call. Don't think they will return early however. They could do a quick stop in Ensenada early on Friday (or maybe even Catalina Island) or they will just do donuts in the water up near Long Beach until Saturday morning.

Cruising the Mexican Riviera in Sept/Oct is always dicey because the storms/hurricanes that form near Acapulco tend to hug the coastline more and eventually curve eastward. Sometimes hitting PV or Mazatlan. And rarely even Cabo (like Hurricane Odile did in 2014). Most times, they will hit a lightly populated area between PV and Mazatlan or else somewhere in the middle of the Baja Peninsula. Cheap time to cruise but it's generally very hot and very humid in those 3 ports during Sep/Oct. Weather patterns change in early November and it becomes simply delightful.

Should mention that hurricanes/storms do also form off Acapulco in July/Aug but for the most part they tend to head north and west towards Hawaii. Those have less of an impact on cruising to Baja.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, vwrestler171 said:

They are stopping in Ensenada.  Lost their port stop in Puerto Vallarta.

At least the weather will be nice, Ensenada is dicey around this time as it can be overcast, rainy or cold but we had great weather and it'll continue for a while so that is a plus for those onboard. Better to be safe than sorry.  

SoCal has rain coming on Friday. Ensenada currently has a 79% chance of rain on Friday. RCCL's Navigator of the Seas left San Pedro (LA) on Wednesday (on a 5 day) and it looks like she's just hanging out off San Diego doing donuts in the ocean waiting for the storm to pass. Her only choice will be to visit exotic Ensenada on Saturday and then return home.

Great website for tracking storms in Baja and further south.

http://www.eebmike.com/

I'm currently on Panorama.

Our itenerary has changed several times. We did go to Cabo and Mazatlan (but not on the days expected).  Puerto Vallarta was cancelled, and we were planning to go to Ensenada tomorrow instead. It was announced earlier today that winds will be too high to dock, and we will instead have another day at sea and return to Long Beach as planned on Saturday.

The weather has only been bad the last 2 days (which have been days at sea) windy/rainy - we had one day (well mostly evening and overnight) where the seas were pretty rough.

The upper decks are closed (we can't go up to serenity) and pools are drained (they were splashing all over the deck). 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

35 minutes ago, SDPadreFan said:

You have company. Navigator of the Seas and Sapphire Princess are in your area doing donuts with you. Kinda surprised none of them went to Catalina Island to give the passengers something.

I think those ships are too big for Catalina. Does Catalina have a tender service or do the ships that regularly call there use their life boats? We are sailing on the Radiance in January and there are a lot of comments on long lines to get on and off the ship in Catalina. I think it would be impossible with 4000+ passengers on board. 

16 minutes ago, LaRue1975 said:

I think those ships are too big for Catalina. Does Catalina have a tender service or do the ships that regularly call there use their life boats? We are sailing on the Radiance in January and there are a lot of comments on long lines to get on and off the ship in Catalina. I think it would be impossible with 4000+ passengers on board. 

Agree that it would be difficult for Navigator and Panorama, but Sapphire Princess only carries about 3200 (a little less than Radiance). Don't think Catalina has it's own tender service but don't know for sure.

• Like 1

We are close to California- I can see land. It looks like today might be a bit better.  It is still overcast windy and drizzly, but they are currently filling the pool and sea is calmer. The track is open and people are using the sport court. 

I'm not sure what happened but we had tender issues in Cabo so I can't imagine trying to tender to Catalina. It took half the day to get everyone off the ship. Fortunately we had priority tendering (platinum) so didn't even realize there was an issue until we came back after lunch and ppl were still trying to get off. At dinner the next day we heard people waited 2 to 3 hours in line to get off. Some decided it wasn't worth it since they might have that much trouble getting back to the ship. Definitely some unhappy people this trip.

Mazatlan was good - we hiked to the historic lighthouse. Highly recommend that excursion.

Edited to add, we have 4200 this sailing.

Edited by csm5986142
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, csm5986142 said:

We are close to California- I can see land. It looks like today might be a bit better.  It is still overcast windy and drizzly, but they are currently filling the pool and sea is calmer. The track is open and people are using the sport court. 

I'm not sure what happened but we had tender issues in Cabo so I can't imagine trying to tender to Catalina. It took half the day to get everyone off the ship. Fortunately we had priority tendering (platinum) so didn't even realize there was an issue until we came back after lunch and ppl were still trying to get off. At dinner the next day we heard people waited 2 to 3 hours in line to get off. Some decided it wasn't worth it since they might have that much trouble getting back to the ship. Definitely some unhappy people this trip.

Mazatlan was good - we hiked to the historic lighthouse. Highly recommend that excursion.

Edited to add, we have 4200 this sailing.

Were the tender issues directly related to the hurricane or something else?  Curious because I booked an excursion on the Miracle sailing on 12/18 and we have a private tour that picks up at 11:20am at the pier.  Thx

On 9/7/2022 at 11:49 AM, Matco said:

Anyone currently aboard Panorama? Looks like the current sailing is being cut short due to hurricane Kay. Looks like they were in Cabo first and then went to Mazatlán for a bit skipped Puerto Vallarta and are now headed to long beach or possible Ensenada as a substitute? I was trying to pull up the bridge cam but is seems they are down. She is in some pretty rough seas currently, looking like 7+ meters or 22+ feet, rain and wind. Just curious if anyone on board could share some info or pictures 

I would love to be on that cruise. Nothing like a hold on hard cruise!

41 minutes ago, Colorado Cruzer said:

Were the tender issues directly related to the hurricane or something else?

Sorry I have not heard, but we were not supposed to be in cabo that day, so i think they were scrambling. Plus at that point, the hurricane was heading towards them. Just unfortunate timing I think.

14 minutes ago, asalligo said:

Its not too bad - I have never slept so well on a cruise, the ship just rocks me to sleep.

On the downside, one of our favorite food venues has been closed pretty much the whole cruise - Fresh Creations. It's located on the serenity (15) which has been closed for days.

3 hours ago, Colorado Cruzer said:

Were the tender issues directly related to the hurricane or something else?  Curious because I booked an excursion on the Miracle sailing on 12/18 and we have a private tour that picks up at 11:20am at the pier.  Thx

Tendering in Cabo is always a mess and always takes a long time in general but the Miracle has less passengers and you should be fine at 11:20, it can take hours on the larger ships, they were still calling folks after 1:00 on our last Panorama trip in April. 

6 hours ago, asalligo said:

Yes! The Mexican Riviera is notorious for rocking and rolling, especially on the return North up the Baja Peninsula. I love it as long as you don’t go on the upper decks where the wind feels like you are in a hurricane. Our first cruise was on the original Jubilee in 1991. Boy, those smaller ships gave you quire a ride! On the last day it was crazy, the hubby was sick in bed due to the Montezuma ailment but drug himself out of bed in the late afternoon because he was determined to not spend his last day in bed. As we were waiting for the elevator a lady threw up in the fake potted plant. He looked at me, that’s it, I’m out and back to bed he went, lol! The whole ship smelled like puke but I had the best day wandering around feeling bullet proof and quite proud of myself! I love being rocked to sleep and find the rough seas exciting, going on the Panorama next month, looking forward to the ride home! 

• Like 2