Costa by Carnival development

tidecat

3 hours ago, foodsvcmgr said:

If most of these “Italian” features other than the smoking are retained I remain excited to try the concept.

Just continue to be amazed at the lack of details coming from Carnival about the New York sailings, most of all itineraries.

The silence is probably because they are still figuring things out. I would not be surprised if we don't know a whole lot until the ships officially transfer to Carnival. At that time, they may make a big splash by announcing the transfers, the itineraries and 'bookings now open' when that does happen. That would generate another news cycle on the Costa By Carnival concept vs. just rolling out the itineraries now. Maybe we'll hear something around the New Year, in January to pick up a slow news cycle. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, foodsvcmgr said:

If most of these “Italian” features other than the smoking are retained I remain excited to try the concept.

Just continue to be amazed at the lack of details coming from Carnival about the New York sailings, most of all itineraries.

i wonder what is going to happen to  New York next year. Do they have two ships sailing out of NY, the Magic and the Costa ship or does the Magic remain in Norfolk/Florida? 

• 2 weeks later...

Thinking Carnival is testing these two ships. If successful, they'll be turned into the Carnival Venezia & Carnival Firenze. Costa has four ships out of service/not operating: The Magica, Serena, Atlantica & Mediterranea. The latter two were transferred to Carnival China, but the line has yet to start operations. Costa has just 8 ships in total in service now.

2 hours ago, toad455 said:

Thinking Carnival is testing these two ships. If successful, they'll be turned into the Carnival Venezia & Carnival Firenze. Costa has four ships out of service/not operating: The Magica, Serena, Atlantica & Mediterranea. The latter two were transferred to Carnival China, but the line has yet to start operations. Costa has just 8 ships in total in service now.

Look at Cruise Industry News, something interesting there.(which is about what you were talking about) Sorry I couldn't get the link to post...

42 minutes ago, mz-s said:

bacon crisis

I believe you that there is one but... there wasn't on my cruise

Edited by CarnivalShips480

Costa may just keep their active ships in Europe since the Asian market has tanked. Can't imagine Carnival China takes off, so maybe those two ships actually get turned into Carnival Atlantic and Carnival Mediterranea? They do have two new builds currently being constructed.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, toad455 said:

Costa may just keep their active ships in Europe since the Asian market has tanked. Can't imagine Carnival China takes off, so maybe those two ships actually get turned into Carnival Atlantic and Carnival Mediterranea? They do have two new builds currently being constructed.

It was reported in the earnings call that the European cruise market is still soft, while the North America market is booming. Not sure there would be a need for it, expanding the North American market seems to be where the money is. 

44 minutes ago, cruisingguy007 said:

It was reported in the earnings call that the European cruise market is still soft, while the North America market is booming. Not sure there would be a need for it, expanding the North American market seems to be where the money is. 

This allows Carnival to put the ships where the market is strong and if the market comes back in Europe, no harm done. If not, they can stay as a "Costa by Carnival" concept or convert over to Carnival like the Luminosa. It's an inventive way for Carnival to replace the gap left by the Fantasy class vessels and avoid over-serving other markets in my opinion.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, CarnivalShips480 said:

They could also completely converted to Carnival ships and then if the Europe market picks up, then they can go back and still be Carnival ships

They could but historically Carnival seems to be happy to let their sister brands hold down the European market outside of a few specialty sailings.

• Like 1

Maybe if they released schedules a little sooner they would not have discount so heavily and then complain about weak revenues.

For a new concept due to begin sailing from NYC in about six months time, I can’t see any benefit for them to be waiting so long to firm up details and open the books.

1 hour ago, foodsvcmgr said:

Maybe if they released schedules a little sooner they would not have discount so heavily and then complain about weak revenues.

For a new concept due to begin sailing from NYC in about six months time, I can’t see any benefit for them to be waiting so long to firm up details and open the books.

The first ~6 months of sailings or so may not get the full run-up from an extended booking window, but anything sailing from New York commands some premium already. Typically fares start out cheaper and work their way up anyway, so anything for April 2023 should start out higher than April 2024 or April 2025.

• 2 weeks later...

Got tired of waiting so I booked a 5 night Bermuda in May on Liberty of the Seas.

Paid an extra hundred for refundable deposit so I can switch to Costa if they eventually offer something better or more interesting.

But no details since the initial concept announced in June has turned me off.

Was concerned about availability and prices tightening up if I didn’t pull the trigger on something.

I wonder how many other bookings Carnival has potentially lost by their foot dragging?

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, CruiseAdict218 said:

So it seems the two Costa ships, will now be styled as Carnival Venezia and Carnival Firenze, both featuring the blue bow as well. However they will keep the yellow Costa funnel and will be year round.

5DA217E7-CB6B-4C0A-A092-C9D09058DC8C.jpeg

Bizarre

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, CruiseAdict218 said:

So it seems the two Costa ships, will now be styled as Carnival Venezia and Carnival Firenze, both featuring the blue bow as well. However they will keep the yellow Costa funnel and will be year round.

5DA217E7-CB6B-4C0A-A092-C9D09058DC8C.jpeg

Yet the livery name is COSTA VENEZIA, according to the rendering. 

6 minutes ago, CruiseAdict218 said:

Yep, last minute change, I think. 

My sense is it will be a hybrid of what they did with the Luminosa; they will become part of the Carnival fleet BUT WITHOUT any Carnival branded onboard venues, thus saving renovation costs. They will use the existing venues as is (except for certain amenities that were China market specific - not sure a hotpot restaurant is going to get many reservations from Carnival cruisers). Only my guestimate. 🤷

Edited by kwokpot

58 minutes ago, WheresWalter said:

Here's a better look at the livery. I like how they are using the Carnival blue livery but with Costa yellow stripe. And they added the Carnival name down the side. image.thumb.jpeg.bd5f026b3f4027a03ed6b640345d2813.jpeg

Very much looking forward to trying out Firenze! Looks great! 

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, cruisingguy007 said:

Very much looking forward to trying out Firenze! Looks great! 

I really am too. Kind of nice to not have to go to Europe to try out these ships. Though I do plan to fly across the pond at some point to try out P&O. That looks like another fun cruise line! 

• Like 1

On 9/10/2022 at 11:22 AM, CarnivalShips480 said:

Carnival will make these two Carnival ships and rename them Carnival Venezia and Carnival Firenze.

Why do I say this when we heard they would be Costa ships in Carnival's fleet? Take a look at these Carnival owned websites:

About CCL (carnivalgrandport.com) 

go down to Carnival facts. Says this: 

UPCOMING SHIPS:

Carnival Luminosa – 2022; Carnival Celebration – 2022; Carnival Venezia – 2023; Carnival Jubilee– 2023; Carnival Firenze – 2024

50 Years of Fun: Carnival Cruise Line’s History | Carnival Cruise Line News (carnival-news.com)

For 2022 it says: Plans to launch a new concept: “Choose Carnival, Italian Style,” were also announced with two additional ships from sister brand Costa Cruises joining the Carnival fleet, Carnival Venezia and Carnival Firenze.

Also notice how it says "Choose Fun, Italian style" and not "Costa by Carnival" so the ships would just be Italian, not Costa anymore.

I called it before, but no one believed me. Now everyone can see that they will be Carnival Venezia and Carnival Firenze.

• Like 2