Advice on getting a refund? Canada situation

jillcarolina

So, we were booked on Enchanted leaving 10/8 from NYC to NE/Canada. I was told by Princess that all we needed was negative covid test upon embarkation. (Hubby vaxxed fully. I had 1 shot and unfortunately I had a bad reaction so couldn't get second) Then, I was on a forum and read that I would need Princess exemption. I got back on chat with Princess and they confirmed this. Then I read I would need exemption paperwork for Canada and may be denied boarding at all. I talked to another passenger this happened to. I had our TA call and poor lady was on the phone for 2 days trying to work this out. Princess would not re-book us for Caribbean cruise where we would have no issues. They only would refund 50% at 30 days out. Now I am out over $1300!!! The Sail with Confidence is only in effect until 9/30. I bought insurance but would need medical letter. Idk if I can get one as we don't have an MD only other medical people. Our MD moved. Anyone have any advice on getting a refund? Thinking of contacting credit card co and/or BBB.....

Welcome to cruise critic.

You have a lot of issues that you are trying to sort through.  I hope that I can help, but like all posters, we only think we have the answers.  So you need to use "our advice" and go from there.

Princess is not at fault with the Covid restrictions required by Canada.  You can call ArriveCan at 1-833-283-7403 (7 AM to 8 PM ET/7 days a week).  It is a toll free number.  Canada allows very few exceptions.  I do not know what is allowed.  

As someone else mentioned, If you purchased Princess Vacation Protection....Platinum, you should be able to cancel for any reason.  If you purchased the standard, you may only receive 75% back.  (minus insurance cost)

With Princess Cruise with Confidence expiring at the end of the month, I am not sure if you would quality for FCC.  

I would start looking for another MD.  

You are on a very tight timeline.  Good luck.

2 minutes ago, Paula_MacFan said:

?? Their profile says they've been a member since 2016......

Oops...I really need to read more carefully.  Second thread today.  I only saw post #1.  Regardless, this might be the first time they have encountered this problem.  

Thanks for pointing that out.  I don't understand how someone can remain so quiet for so many years.  If you are seeking help, you should also be willing to give help.

• Like 3

There are two set of requirements, those from Princess which they have control over and those from the governments of various countries which Princess does not have any control over.

The vaccination requirements have been posted on the Princess website so you should have seen them.

• Like 2

Thanks for the replies. I apparently created a profile but did not register in 2016...hence the new designation. I bought Generali insurance as this cruise was booked through a TA not Princess. As I stated, I was told a negative test would suffice. I was given the wrong information not once but twice by Princess. I wouldn't have booked at all if I'd known of this issue. I had to reach out to others and do the research myself, as we all do on here, to find out what's really going. The cruise has been cancelled at this point so just trying to find out who to contact at Princess about this situation...

Sorry for your situation. The TA should have informed you or sent you clear documents in what was required. As you stated you purchased cruise insurance so you should contact them or review the policy as this would seem to me to be your only way to get your funds back. Sometimes credit cards have some form of travel insurance, you might want to check this as well. Good luck.

• Like 2

Be careful and disputing the credit card or contacting the BBB if you ever chose to sail with Princess again. Your TA should have informed you about the requirements and they were posted on Princess' web page. I don't believe the cruise with confidence covers your error, it's for those that test positive or require quarantine during a cruise. 

I would suggest you write a very polite letter to Princess customer service and explain your situation. Ask for a future cruise credit (not a refund which will be denied) and explain how excited you are to think about a future cruise with Princess. Make them want to help you with lots of positive vibs. 

• Like 3

Failure to provide required documentation in a timely manner is not a covered reason for cancellation under anybody’s insurance - not even credit card travel benefits. The best bet for reimbursement is the CFAR provision in the Princess plan. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, jillcarolina said:

Thanks for the replies. I apparently created a profile but did not register in 2016...hence the new designation.  Thanks, that explains your post standings.  I am easily confused.

I bought Generali insurance as this cruise was booked through a TA not Princess. As I stated, I was told a negative test would suffice. I was given the wrong information not once but twice by Princess. I wouldn't have booked at all if I'd known of this issue. I had to reach out to others and do the research myself, as we all do on here, to find out what's really going. The cruise has been cancelled at this point so just trying to find out who to contact at Princess about this situation...

I book through a TA all the time.  She "won't" let me cruise without Princess Vacation Protection.  I did it once and she has been looking after me ever since.  Won't make that mistake again.  What do you mean by Generali insurance?  Is that an independent insurance company?  Does it cover "Cancel for any reason at 100%". ?

Try to be patient with the cancellation and insurance refund process.  It took me almost 4 months to have my claim finalized.  And that was after many calls to the insurance company and emails to Princess.  My sisters bought the upgraded PVP Platinum.  Good thing they did.  They received 100% back minus the insurance cost.  I went on the cruise by myself without a single supplement.  

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, dog said:

You bought through a TA so they should help you deal with a claim through the Insurance company.

When I had to submit a claim, my TA told me that she was not licensed to do claims.  She offered me guidance and direction, but I had to do it all on my own.  She was not listed on the claim so AON would not discuss anything with her.  I understood all of that.

• Like 2

On 9/11/2022 at 12:08 AM, cruzsnooze said:

Be careful and disputing the credit card or contacting the BBB if you ever chose to sail with Princess again. Your TA should have informed you about the requirements and they were posted on Princess' web page. I don't believe the cruise with confidence covers your error, it's for those that test positive or require quarantine during a cruise. 

I would suggest you write a very polite letter to Princess customer service and explain your situation. Ask for a future cruise credit (not a refund which will be denied) and explain how excited you are to think about a future cruise with Princess. Make them want to help you with lots of positive vibs

I like your suggestion but am afraid that the OP will not get any reaction from Princess customer service. I/we contacted Princess customer service (with polite letters) on a few occasions regarding a Covid claim. So far I/we have not even received an acknowledgement from them that they received the mailings. The first letter was send over a month ago and were CC to several VP's and also included Mrs. J. Swartz.

I/we are still patiently waiting.

Theo

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, cr8tiv1 said:

Thanks.  I hope their policy covers the same or better than Princess Vacation Protection.  

Princess's policy is crappy on medical but does have cancel for any reason which is why I buy 2 policies - one for medical and one for cancel for any reason. 

20 minutes ago, Coral said:

Princess's policy is crappy on medical but does have cancel for any reason which is why I buy 2 policies - one for medical and one for cancel for any reason. 

I have an excellent medical insurance policy.  I buy PVP because of my age (not age discriminatory).  AND it is easier/default.  Whatever the reasons, I learned my lesson and do not travel without insurance.  Glad OP has insurance.  Now the long journey is about to begin in sorting out her claim.

• Like 1

I wouldn't contact your credit card company or the BBB as this is not really the fault of Princess and you'd be setting yourself up for a fight you just won't win.  Everything you would claim can be found in documentation that shows they are not in the wrong here.  

Canada's rules are a bit strict at this point.  My suggestion would be to go to your 'other medical people' to refer you to a doctor that would be able to provide a letter of exemption for you.  While I'm not sure what you mean by other medical people but if one of them is licensed as a Nurse Practitioner, that will be sufficient.  If you have any medical documentation of your adverse reaction to the vaccine, you should take that to a clinic to get an exemption.  Exemptions are pretty limited, though.  

The only other way to actually get your money back at this point is to file a claim with your insurance company and hope you have a Cancel For Any Reason clause within your policy.  

I know it's an expensive lesson to learn but if you wait even longer, you will actually receive less reimbursement that you are currently getting.  Sorry to be the bearer of such bad news.  

• Like 1

On 9/9/2022 at 6:39 PM, jillcarolina said:

So, we were booked on Enchanted leaving 10/8 from NYC to NE/Canada. I was told by Princess that all we needed was negative covid test upon embarkation. (Hubby vaxxed fully. I had 1 shot and unfortunately I had a bad reaction so couldn't get second) Then, I was on a forum and read that I would need Princess exemption. I got back on chat with Princess and they confirmed this. Then I read I would need exemption paperwork for Canada and may be denied boarding at all. I talked to another passenger this happened to. I had our TA call and poor lady was on the phone for 2 days trying to work this out. Princess would not re-book us for Caribbean cruise where we would have no issues. They only would refund 50% at 30 days out. Now I am out over $1300!!! The Sail with Confidence is only in effect until 9/30. I bought insurance but would need medical letter. Idk if I can get one as we don't have an MD only other medical people. Our MD moved. Anyone have any advice on getting a refund? Thinking of contacting credit card co and/or BBB.....

Credit card will find for Princess so will BBB.  The terms of your cruise contact is clear.  Canadian requirements have been pretty clear as well.

Not sure who you talked with when you say Princess gave you wrong information considering that you booked through a TA since Princess will usually not talk directly with someone that has booked through a TA.  Especially since Princess web site has shown Canada as being one of the locations that have required full vaccination. 

If your TA gave you incorrect information, and if you purchased an insurance policy they recommended you might have a claim against the TA.  Especially if you have any documentation on what they told you when you booked the cruise.  

You have not said exactly when you booked the cruise, I would assume recently since prior to a couple of weeks ago full vaccination was clearly required.  So if they told you it would be fine based upon the current rules then they are at fault.

Another issue is you stated that you had a bad reaction.  Unless it was one that required medical intervention or unless your doctor has made a recommendation based upon the reaction, it is unlikely that you will get a waiver.

Edited by ldtr

42 minutes ago, cr8tiv1 said:

I have an excellent medical insurance policy.  I buy PVP because of my age (not age discriminatory).  AND it is easier/default.  Whatever the reasons, I learned my lesson and do not travel without insurance.  Glad OP has insurance.  Now the long journey is about to begin in sorting out her claim.

In my case we buy an annual medical policy and use a CC for travel insurance.  We travel enough that the amount we have saved on not buying travel insurance will more than pay for any out of pocket losses in the future. The potentially high dollar costs, medical and medical evacuation are covered by the annual policy.  

28 minutes ago, ldtr said:

In my case we buy an annual medical policy and use a CC for travel insurance.  We travel enough that the amount we have saved on not buying travel insurance will more than pay for any out of pocket losses in the future. The potentially high dollar costs, medical and medical evacuation are covered by the annual policy.  

Apparently that has worked well for you, but others who may now consider it need to know that credit card insurance is not a true comprehensive policy. It offers limited protection applicable in some situations.

For instance, it does not cover pre-existing conditions. Trip Interruption reimburses unused nonrefundable expenses if your trip is cut short for a covered reason, but it does not cover return transportation - only change fees. Trip Delay is minimal ($500pp) for mechanical delays only - not illness.

Many people find those terms acceptable and enjoy the extra perk as part of their annual fee. The key is to understand how it works and be willing to accept some of the risk.

4 minutes ago, Babr said:

Apparently that has worked well for you, but others who may now consider it need to know that credit card insurance is not a true comprehensive policy. It offers limited protection applicable in some situations.

For instance, it does not cover pre-existing conditions. Trip Interruption reimburses unused nonrefundable expenses if your trip is cut short for a covered reason, but it does not cover return transportation - only change fees. Trip Delay is minimal ($500pp) for mechanical delays only - not illness.

Many people find those terms acceptable and enjoy the extra perk as part of their annual fee. The key is to understand how it works and be willing to accept some of the risk.

Sure.  Each person has to make their own decision.  But I will repeat the amounts we have saved by not paying for insurance will more than pay for any out of pocket losses we face in the future.  Sure coverage is limited but for us it is good enough   Sure if problems occur in the future, just as they have in the past we would face some out of pocket expenses, depending upon the exact situation. However, at this point the costs could be multiples of the total trip costs and we would still be ahead.

Bottom line is that by following that strategy we have saved enough to pretty much self insure for future trips, while still have some protections using the CC.  If we had purchased travel policies for every trip we have taken all of those funds would be gone, instead of still in our bank account.

Actually out trip delay also covers accident and illness provided it is indicated as being required by a medical professional.

1 minute ago, ldtr said:

Sure.  Each person has to make their own decision.  But I will repeat the amounts we have saved by not paying for insurance will more than pay for any out of pocket losses we face in the future.  Sure coverage is limited but for us it is good enough   Sure if problems occur in the future, just as they have in the past we would face some out of pocket expenses, depending upon the exact situation. However, at this point the costs could be multiples of the total trip costs and we would still be ahead.

Bottom line is that by following that strategy we have saved enough to pretty much self insure for future trips, while still have some protections using the CC.  If we had purchased travel policies for every trip we have taken all of those funds would be gone, instead of still in our bank account.

Actually out trip delay also covers accident and illness provided it is indicated as being required by a medical professional.

Obviously, you have weighed all the possibilities and developed a system that is right for you. Many combine annual medical with CC coverage successfully.

I just did not want others who may be less familiar with travel insurance to think that it was a less expensive solution to all their problems. Pre-existing conditions catch a lot of people unaware. They don’t understand the definition, the look-back period, or even if it applies to them.

On 9/10/2022 at 10:50 PM, dog said:

You bought through a TA so they should help you deal with a claim through the Insurance company.

Unless the OP purchased a cancel for any reason policy, an insurance claim would be a total waste of time.  As far as I can tell, Generali travel insurance only offers the optional 'cancel for any reason' add on with their most premium plan and it is a costly add on that only covers 60% of loses.  Odds aren't good that the OP selected those options.  I have read through countless travel insurance plans over the years and the OP's reason for cancellation is not coverable by any travel insurance I have ever seen (outside of cancel for any reason policies).  The insurance company will see this as the OP's mistake though I personally feel that the TA majorly failed the OP in this situation (granted I don't know what conversations took place between the OP and TA so I can't place the blame entirely there without all of the details).

The fact is that Princess had the correct information for Canada published and easily accessible on their website.  It is also always ultimately the traveler's responsibility to check the admissibility requirements for every country they plan to visit and this does not just apply to COVID times.  If using a TA, the TA should be assisting with this or at very least advising their clients to check the government websites of each country for the requirements.  Unless the OP has it in writing that Princess provided them incorrect information, then it is just a 'he said she said' situation and I can't see those conversation making any difference in the outcome. With something this important, you really need to verify requirements in writing, it is too easy for information/details to be missed, mis-conveyed, or mis-understood over the phone.  

• Like 1