Schiphol today

Larainerenee

36 minutes ago, cunn9004 said:

We will disembark the ship and go straight to the airport.  We have no airline status other than DH being lifetime Silver on Delta but I think our Comfort Plus seats come with some priority?.   We have a 1:00 pm flight - should I be nervous?  We might do "walk off" with our luggage if it would help but that is difficult.  I will arrange transportation ahead of time.  Advise please.

Our Silver Medallion & flying DL One did for us and your Silver/Comfort + should be for you I'm pretty sure..just check the signage and your boarding pass. You should have no trouble with your 1:00pm flight but I would either do self assist if you can otherwise be in the first group. 

We were off a cruise there as I've posted on this thread this past July. It was extremely easy to do self assist as we walked off and got one of the first taxi's...no lines at all. Easy checkin at the DL counter again no line. Really no need to pre-arrange a taxi so many are lined up and it will probably be quicker than finding the pre-arrange one.

Flying back to the US was certainly easier than our experience arriving at AMS when it was a mess and the reason I booked us a 2:30pm return. As it worked out we could have easily done an earlier flight home but better to be safe. There's a great lounge for DL/KLM if you possibly have access.

14 hours ago, cunn9004 said:

We have a 1:00 pm flight - should I be nervous?

Is this for mid-September 2023? If so, nobody has a clue what it's going to be like by then. That might as well be in the middle of the next century so far as planning for airport chaos (or non-chaos) is concerned.

It's probably not worth looking into this again until August.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, PageTurner said:

I will be flying from JFK to BOM soon with a plane change in AMS.  Assuming that I stay in-transit, will I be subjected to yet another security check and perhaps a very long queue??    Thanks in advance for your advice and counsel.

No security check, you can just go from one gate to the other as you will stay in the custom area. 

• 1 month later...

Flying to AMS tonight.  Does anyone know what the current situation is for airport security?  We will be flying out again in four days.  So will need to return to the airport and go through the security line.  . Hoping it has improved. 

6 hours ago, mauimary said:

Flying to AMS tonight.  Does anyone know what the current situation is for airport security?  We will be flying out again in four days.  So will need to return to the airport and go through the security line.  . Hoping it has improved. 

Friends of ours were in Amsterdam last weekend.  They flew back on Saturday evening.  Security was 15 minutes.  

• Like 1

Realize this is a perennial question, and no one knows what the situation will be August 2023 in the airports - but wondering about return flights from our cruise. I'm normally never one to push it, but the best flight home from AMS-PDX leaves at 10:30. I think that's just too early, though I welcome feedback. We tend to want to get home after a cruise, but we could stay another night in Amsterdam. Or we could take a longer set of flights home. Feedback welcome.

5 hours ago, irvington said:

Realize this is a perennial question, and no one knows what the situation will be August 2023 in the airports - but wondering about return flights from our cruise. I'm normally never one to push it, but the best flight home from AMS-PDX leaves at 10:30. I think that's just too early, though I welcome feedback. We tend to want to get home after a cruise, but we could stay another night in Amsterdam. Or we could take a longer set of flights home. Feedback welcome.

We flew back to Portland direct on that Delta flight.  I would never attempt to do this especially on an international flight.  You need time to check in get through Security and Passport control.  What we have done three times  now is spend the night at the Sheraton Hotel located there in the airport. It’s much more relaxing and really takes off the stress. It’s a very nice hotel.  Schipol was extremely busy last summer and many people were missing flights now that more people are once again traveling.  Trying to make a 1030 flight would be risky. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, mauimary said:

We flew back to Portland direct on that Delta flight.  I would never attempt to do this especially on an international flight.  You need time to check in get through Security and Passport control.  What we have done three times  now is spend the night at the Sheraton Hotel located there in the airport. It’s much more relaxing and really takes off the stress. It’s a very nice hotel.  Schipol was extremely busy last summer and many people were missing flights now that more people are once again traveling.  Trying to make a 1030 flight would be risky. 

thanks, this is really helpful. Your idea is intriguing about the airport hotel since we would be onsite for getting up early - I was afraid if we stayed overnight in Amsterdam proper we'd be in the same boat as leaving the ship (though perhaps not if the port is farther). This is probably a dumb question, but would you head to the Sheraton, drop bags, and then go in to Amsterdam for the day? Are there trains? I will research this but just in case you have done it.

20 minutes ago, irvington said:

Your idea is intriguing about the airport hotel since we would be onsite for getting up early - I was afraid if we stayed overnight in Amsterdam proper we'd be in the same boat as leaving the ship (though perhaps not if the port is farther). This is probably a dumb question, but would you head to the Sheraton, drop bags, and then go in to Amsterdam for the day? Are there trains? I will research this but just in case you have done it.

Of all the things that contribute to delays at AMS, getting there from the city is generally pretty much the least. There are frequent fast (around 15 minutes) trains to/from the airport from Central Station. The Sheraton sits right on top of the airport station, so it is convenient either way, I suppose - if you do stay there it’s very easy to get in to the city. No real need to stay out at Schipol unless you have a very early flight, in my opinion. 

22 hours ago, irvington said:

thanks, this is really helpful. Your idea is intriguing about the airport hotel since we would be onsite for getting up early - I was afraid if we stayed overnight in Amsterdam proper we'd be in the same boat as leaving the ship (though perhaps not if the port is farther). This is probably a dumb question, but would you head to the Sheraton, drop bags, and then go in to Amsterdam for the day? Are there trains? I will research this but just in case you have done it.

On the three occasions we have stayed here since July we have been able to check in and to access our room early apx 09 am.  We checked in on the Bonvoy app.   We last stayed here 1.5 weeks ago and left our extra luggage in storage here at the hotel while we took the train to Maastricht for a few days. 

It is also extremely easy to take the train into AMS Central Station as like Cotswold said the station is right underneath the Sheraton.  There are carts available to help with your luggage to the hotel as well as at the hotel to assist with luggage to the Delta check in counter.  Our Delta flight left out of Terminal 2 and it was a very long way to the gate!  Be prepared for a lot of walking!!

• Like 2

On 12/26/2022 at 8:51 PM, irvington said:

We are also flying back to the States in August with an 11:15 am departure time.  The flights are through Air2Sea and we purchased the transfer from the ship to the airport from Royal. Realizing this is still 8 months away, does it make sense to change the flights to a later time (which I can still do)? Also looking for feedback, but understanding no one has a crystal ball. It's also my understanding that if we miss our flight because of Royal, they will book a new flight for us.  Am I wrong?

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/27/2022 at 1:10 AM, mauimary said:

Thanks for this info--

I'm looking at flights home from Istanbul this fall, and my preferred single connection would also be through AMS on Delta, but would have a 17 hr overnight layover. Probably too short to do any real sightseeing, but maybe a quick train ride into town for a beer and back for a decent night's sleep that's not on an airport bench then?

Question--do you know if luggage that we check in Istanbul will be checked through all the way to MSP--or would we have to claim it, clear Dutch customs, and then check it in again the next morning?  
Thanks!

14 hours ago, quercus alba said:

Thanks for this info--

I'm looking at flights home from Istanbul this fall, and my preferred single connection would also be through AMS on Delta, but would have a 17 hr overnight layover. Probably too short to do any real sightseeing, but maybe a quick train ride into town for a beer and back for a decent night's sleep that's not on an airport bench then?

Question--do you know if luggage that we check in Istanbul will be checked through all the way to MSP--or would we have to claim it, clear Dutch customs, and then check it in again the next morning?  
Thanks!

That I cannot answer but maybe try calling Delta. We flew home via AMS from Cape Town in Dec. on Delta.  We did claim our luggage then rechecked it back in the next day on our flight to Portland OR. It was not a problem. Both last summer and again in Dec we stayed at the Sheraton Hotel at the airport. 

• Like 1