Appropriate dress for dining venues on Oceania

Sullivans10

1 hour ago, Nashna said:

I'm old enough to remember when ladies did wear hats at formal lunches and always in church.  

I bet they were not baseball caps 😉

My grandmother would not leave the house without her 'at 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, pinotlover said:

It would be nice if this thread was locked along with any other dress code thread for the next six months. 

But  what would we complain about  then 😃

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Nashna said:

It could be.  I always follow the rules, and it never occurred to me that I would be the one to need to be reminded.  I asked about wearing any hat and was told none were allowed.  

We've been on several Celebrity cruises until the food quality diminished too much. At that point we switched to O. Never saw women asked to remove hats on any cruiseline before.

Edited by rbtan
spelling

Just now, AMHuntFerry said:

There's always tipping and the internet if bored and want some mayhem (ducking in case something is virtually thrown at me).

LOL  & lets not forget  all the old people  on O that  just stay on the ship or go to bed at 8pm

Not the right kind of wine

or missed ports

🥤🍷

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, AMHuntFerry said:

There's always tipping and the internet if bored and want some mayhem (ducking in case something is virtually thrown at me).

We tip & surprisingly the internet(on all lines) has actually been pretty good.I never held high expectations on internet when you're moving on a ship.

2 minutes ago, rbtan said:

We tip & surprisingly the internet(on all lines) has actually been pretty good.I never held high expectations on internet when you're moving on a ship.

Nooooo...don't take the bait! I take it back (what was I thinking?) 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

7 hours ago, LHT28 said:

I am old  so I remember freezing waiting for the bus/streetcar  to get to school

Not to mention those terrible little boys with shiny patent leather shoes standing around the girls all looking down at their shoes for some strange reason.😝

1 minute ago, rbtan said:

Not to mention those terrible little boys with shiny patent leather shoes standing around the girls all looking down at their shoes for some strange reason.😝

I am not as old as you I guess  or lived in a different neighbourhood  😃

The girls had patent leather shoes for Sunday school  not to trek to school in snow &  slush

Sorry slow day here

33 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

LOL  & lets not forget  all the old people  on O that  just stay on the ship or go to bed at 8pm

Not the right kind of wine

or missed ports

🥤🍷

At least my money is where my mouth is. I’ve reported on recent cruises, while someone keep posting and it’s been how many years since they’ve been on an Oceania ship! 😂

• Like 2

15 hours ago, redraider1966 said:

Plus 1,000.

Why exactly should a thread be locked? People who aren't interested in the topic don't have to be here. I see tons of threads every day on CC that don't interest me, but I don't post "stop talking, shut this down." If you don't like the topic, move on as I do all the time. ALL. THE. TIME.

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, RJB said:

agree also   Too bad that some people have no taste.  

A shame indeed. I conducted a six week wine seminar starting in January ending before my Marina cruise. First night out, everyone blind tasted a pour of apple juice, pineapple juice, coconut juice, and grape juice in an attempt to hone their concentration and distinguish flavors. Amazing the number of older participants that hadn’t a clue on what they were sampling. The younger students nailed everything.

A lot of discussion here on food quality and tastes by those that would probably fail my simple blind tasting.

16 hours ago, pinotlover said:

A shame indeed. I conducted a six week wine seminar starting in January ending before my Marina cruise. First night out, everyone blind tasted a pour of apple juice, pineapple juice, coconut juice, and grape juice in an attempt to hone their concentration and distinguish flavors. Amazing the number of older participants that hadn’t a clue on what they were sampling. The younger students nailed everything.

A lot of discussion here on food quality and tastes by those that would probably fail my simple blind tasting.

Between 40 and 50 your ability to taste diminishes, taste buds shrink, that accelerates after 60. 

So there is an inverse correlation between age and taste.  It really isn't amazing, it's just biology.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, shepherd really said:

Between 40 and 50 your ability to taste diminishes, taste buds shrink, that accelerates after 60. 

So there is an inverse correlation between age and taste.  It really isn't amazing, it's just biology.

😂

I agree totally. I’ve posted that biological fact in the past, and was fully flamed! 😂

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, pinotlover said:

I would love to take your course.  At a recent baby shower, we were given samples of baby food arranged and numbered on a plate to taste and determine what they were.  It was amazing how many people got them wrong... myself included.    

3 minutes ago, Nashna said:

I would love to take your course.  At a recent baby shower, we were given samples of baby food arranged and numbered on a plate to taste and determine what they were.  It was amazing how many people got them wrong... myself included.    

You are  a brave soul 😄

Also  other things can affect people's taste buds  like smoking/heavy drinking & medications

• Thanks 1

On 3/20/2023 at 7:03 PM, pinotlover said:

At least my money is where my mouth is. I’ve reported on recent cruises, while someone keep posting and it’s been how many years since they’ve been on an Oceania ship! 😂

Or have yet to sail on Oceania but post voluminous musings and opinions based on their "research."

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, LHT28 said:

You are  a brave soul 😄

Also  other things can affect people's taste buds  like smoking/heavy drinking & medications

My spouse has to taste test the sauces at his catering co. a lot of chefs smoke/vape. This can & does affect taste. Most often food is way over salty. If you eat out & the food tastes this way ask if the chef is a smoker/vaper. You'll be surprised how many are.

On 3/25/2023 at 8:42 PM, pinotlover said:

Wow, that is surprising. I'm 59 and I'm very confident I could tell the difference among all of those. Those flavors are very different from one another. Now if I had to distinguish allspice from clove or nutmeg, that might be a little tricky.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, DCGuy64 said:

Wow, that is surprising. I'm 59 and I'm very confident I could tell the difference among all of those. Those flavors are very different from one another. Now if I had to distinguish allspice from clove or nutmeg, that might be a little tricky.

Blind tastings from opaque colored glasses of unknown liquids. Predominantly smelling and tasting. Some get them, others don’t. Everyone that misses them act shocked, believing they would easily get them right.

Like entering a room and being completely oblivious to what’s around you, many people are completely oblivious to what they eat or drink. How much credibility do you give them when they say something is good. 

It’s why food & wine pairings don’t work for many. If your taste buds are so diminished that distinguishing flavors is impossible, it really doesn’t matter what you drink. 

Edited by pinotlover
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, pinotlover said:

How much credibility do you give them when they say something is good. 

Absolutely. Taste is subjective. My wife thinks Chardonnay tastes bitter; I don't. Totally subjective. But saying coconut juice is grape juice isn't subjective, it's just plain wrong. 😆