Cut backs i noticed on breeze.

seaman11

On 9/14/2022 at 4:48 PM, Itried4498 said:

Many, if not most, of the cutbacks are due to cost, not staffing.  You won't convince me that Carnival can't find adequate staffing for late night dining options.  Trimming deli and pizzeria hours and eliminating the buffet option ultimately save millions of dollars - and generate some income from room service orders.  Most people have already had multiple meals and snacks, and are eating out of compulsion, so it's an easy cutback with little backlash.

It also takes extra staff to prep and cook the additional items, clean the additional pots and pans. It takes additional staff to cook and run the room service orders that people will order and not eat. They didnt pay extra for it so who cares if we eat it or not, right? The amount of uneaten "free food" left around the ship was astounding to me on our July cruise. By adding an additional cost, it will lower the demand and lower the staff needed. Those staff can be moved to other areas. Its not rocket science. 

• Like 2

The thing that bothers me the most is poor execution on the ship.  It usually doesn’t cost any more to do something right.  Example - I have been on three cruises this year, and with the exception of the specialty restaurants, my food was never hot (both in the MDR and the buffet).  Carnivals lido buffets are downright sad.  It doesn’t cost anything to open more stations, spread the people out, plan for your rushes in a timely manner, etc. I’m quite sure with the YTD in the MDR opening at 5:15, that is when the buffet food for the evening is executed.  When I say the food is not hot, I’m not exaggerating.  In hindsight, I now question the food safety in regards to the temperatures (must be hotter than 140 Fahrenheit to prevent bacteria growth).  I believe the ships are full staffed, or close to it. That seemed to be the sentiment I got from the crew on my cruise last month. I don’t blame the crew for this. It’s a management problem in my opinion.  The Playlist shows are now tired.  Even if it’s you’re first cruise and you’ve never seen one of the playlist shows you’d probably agree the execution is poor.  Again, not the staffs fault in my opinion. But it shouldn’t really cost more to do these things right.

1 hour ago, coffeeboy77 said:

The thing that bothers me the most is poor execution on the ship.  It usually doesn’t cost any more to do something right.  Example - I have been on three cruises this year, and with the exception of the specialty restaurants, my food was never hot (both in the MDR and the buffet).  Carnivals lido buffets are downright sad.  It doesn’t cost anything to open more stations, spread the people out, plan for your rushes in a timely manner, etc. I’m quite sure with the YTD in the MDR opening at 5:15, that is when the buffet food for the evening is executed.  When I say the food is not hot, I’m not exaggerating.  In hindsight, I now question the food safety in regards to the temperatures (must be hotter than 140 Fahrenheit to prevent bacteria growth).  I believe the ships are full staffed, or close to it. That seemed to be the sentiment I got from the crew on my cruise last month. I don’t blame the crew for this. It’s a management problem in my opinion.  The Playlist shows are now tired.  Even if it’s you’re first cruise and you’ve never seen one of the playlist shows you’d probably agree the execution is poor.  Again, not the staffs fault in my opinion. But it shouldn’t really cost more to do these things right.

Execution still costs money.... hiring better PlayList cast and sending them to Florida for longer to learn the shows.  More galley staff so the waiters don"t spend half the night waiting in the galley for food.  More MDR teams with fewer tables each so the waiters can make more trips to the galley and bring back plates for fewer tables, so your food isn't getting cold on the waiter station waiting for someone to serve it to you, because after dropping off your food the waiter had to go back to wait for more food from the understaffed galley.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ballarinamom said:

It also takes extra staff to prep and cook the additional items, clean the additional pots and pans. It takes additional staff to cook and run the room service orders that people will order and not eat. They didnt pay extra for it so who cares if we eat it or not, right? The amount of uneaten "free food" left around the ship was astounding to me on our July cruise. By adding an additional cost, it will lower the demand and lower the staff needed. Those staff can be moved to other areas. Its not rocket science. 

No, it's not rocket science.  The late night buffet options were always prepared in advance, during cooks' downtime, and reheated during the late hours.  Dishes are cleaned throughout the overnight - most of it is automated.  Even with the deli closing early and the late night buffet discontinued, there's multiple busboys walking around the Lido deck, usually congregating because there's not much to do.

This is a pure cost cut.  You're trying to justify it by noting the food waste, but that doesn't change the fact that it's a cost cut.  There are many times we have skipped dinner and enjoyed a late night snack, and I'm sure others have too.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Colorado Beach Bum said:

It’s either cost cutting or price increases.  Every industry and most of us consumers are having to make difficult decisions.  Inflation is hitting everyone. 

I agree with that - the industry is struggling to raise prices, so Carnival retorted to cutbacks.  But let's not pretend its due to "staff shortages," which is the narrative of the fanboy/girls in this thread.

• Like 1

On 9/14/2022 at 3:02 PM, mz-s said:

Frankly I don't understand how it's seen as unsanitary to fill your own cup at the water station. Do people think possible germs migrate upstream and infect the dispenser?

No, but I have seen, frequently, that people using water bottle style (drink from the mouth) push the neck of the bottle, which has their germs on it up against the water spout so it does not splash out.  That, my friend, is cross contamination of the spigot.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MagnoliaBlossom said:

No, but I have seen, frequently, that people using water bottle style (drink from the mouth) push the neck of the bottle, which has their germs on it up against the water spout so it does not splash out.  That, my friend, is cross contamination of the spigot.  

THIS!!! I see it too.  The spout is literally where someone's mouth was a minute ago.  How is this so hard to understand?

• Like 2

On 9/15/2022 at 12:42 AM, Socalf1fan said:

WOOOOOAHHHH.

STOP THE SHIP!

Seriously no more self-serve ice cream? I am actually kinda disappointed in this. It was nice being able to get some at odd times or whenever you wanted.

We just got off the Dream and the self-serve ice cream & frozen yogurt were available the whole cruise.  I saw people eating it all times of the day and night, including the morning of debarkation.  I personally enjoy a chocolate chip cookie topped with the chocolate ice cream.  May have been limited (or out) on the Breeze, but it was definitely available on the Dream.

On 9/20/2022 at 5:42 AM, jimbo5544 said:

Does our loyalty level add or detract to our posts in terms of content?   Just asking for a friend….BTW Diamond here….46 Carnival cruises, do not feel there has been constant cutbacks (altho I do not feel I have to mention it in every post, either if I am unhappy or pleased with the product…..maybe I should…) 

Unhappy people living to find something to complain about are usually not disappointed. And then keep sailing on Carnival in case they were mistaken the first few cruises. 🤣

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Currently on Valor. First tine since Covid. I had low expectations but surprisingly things are not too bad. We use to love the pampering of 2 cabin tidies daily. Evening tidy is fine with the cabin steward changing towels and making the bed while we are at dinner. 

I know Heald  would gas light this but BACON EVERY OTHER DAY IS UNACCEPTABLE. After all the years if him denying bacon police, they only have bacon alternating with ham. Obvious cutback and as minor as it sounds, i will let them know in my review. Huge loss at breakfast. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

51 minutes ago, pretzellover said:

*                                       *                                         *

I know Heald  would gas light this but BACON EVERY OTHER DAY IS UNACCEPTABLE. After all the years if him denying bacon police, they only have bacon alternating with ham. Obvious cutback and as minor as it sounds, i will let them know in my review. Huge loss at breakfast. 

Hold my beer!

We just got back from a most enjoyable cruise on the Glory but one thing was so absurd we had to laugh.

We like bacon and over-easy eggs for breakfast. On sea days that was no problem as we would eat at seaday brunch. But after two sea days we had three port days in a row.

So we went to Lido the first port day. They had bacon on the serving line but when we went to the omelet station they were out of fresh eggs. The second day we again went to Lido and there was no bacon to be had but the omelet station had fresh eggs for our over-easy. The third day we went to Lido and there was bacon on the line but they were out of fresh eggs. That third day I complained to the guy at the station saying I knew it wasn't his fault, but Carnival was messing us over and we were not happy. The response, "If you got here when we open at 6 we would have eggs."

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, BlerkOne said:

There are supply chain issues all over. It is well known that there is an egg shortage. Cruise ships are not immune.

Carnival cruise ships aren't immune.  Their competitors have once again managed to avoid such crisis.

Back to the water refill topic.  I didn’t finish my thought.  Even if you use a large mug with the removable top, after putting ice and water in it, it will splash back up on the spigot and contaminate the spout.  Just use a clean cup and pour from that into your bottle.  You may think you have no cooties to spread, but I beg to differ.

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, Colorado Beach Bum said:

That’s a business decision they blamed on supply chain.  They should have messaged it better.  

It 100% is supply chain. That doesn't mean it's squarely ability to get it. Pricing can, in fact be supply chain related issues. Carnival doesn't owe anyone an explanation for any decision they make. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Joebucks said:

It 100% is supply chain. That doesn't mean it's squarely ability to get it. 

We've actually enjoyed cheeses in the buffet that were an unintended upgrade because the supplier (Sysco) was out of the spec cheese usually ordered. I asked a Sous Chef if the excellent cheese was now standard and he explained the reason it was being served. In this case rather than do without cheddar cheese for that week the Panorama's food manager chose to pay more for a higher quality cheese that was available. 

Edited by sanmarcosman
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Colorado Beach Bum said:

So only Carnival has supply issues?  Every business/industry has been impacted by supply chain issues. 

No....the point was NCL and RCCL for example manage to reliably source what are arguably 2 of the most common breakfast items, eggs and bacon, without interruption as they have throughout the restart.

Edited by ray98
  • Like 4