Culinary Arts Kitchen Classes

flossie009

Just planning the details of specific day on a future cruise and wondered if anyone could tell us the duration of the cooking classes on Splendor.

We are looking at a morning class (10am) on a day when the ship does not dock until midday. 

We are trying to decide how long we might have between finishing the class and going ashore for an afternoon excursion.

We participated in a very enjoyable class on Explorer a few years ago but cannot remember how long it was.

Hope those who have done a class recently, or who have better memories, can help 🙂

Flossie, I can't specifically remember, but seems like our classes on Splendor in November 2021 were about 1.5-2 hours long.  I CAN tell you that you WILL NOT need to have lunch!  We made the mistake of booking a specialty restaurant after an afternoon class.  Never again!  We were stuffed from class.:)  Both fun and good food!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

OK I see the days classes are offered  on my Splendor cruise. I click on the day and it looks like it is added to my cart and tells me my on board credits cover the class. But can I find out what time the class is and what we will cook before I spend the money?

Also does DH have to go into his account  to book a class  if we want to it together?

28 minutes ago, cwn said:

How do you find out the time of day and what kind of food you will be making?

When you click on the day it gives you the price, time and a brief description of the class on offer.

You can then add it to your "cart" and check-out in a similar way that you would when booking excursions

Flossie009, Tried again…I was using my phone and not seeing any information about the classes. Was not having any problems with out and dinner reservations, however.
Tried on husband IPad and made a class reservation for the new world Med cooking class for both of us. Thanks all for help. Sounds like good fun!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

@flossie009We did the "A French Love Affair" class on Splendor last month. The dishes we prepared were fantastic but the class ran a little long. I would allow 2.5 hours if you want to stay until the very end and/or you want to eat and enjoy all the food you cooked. Of course, you can leave early if you have to. You are not allowed to take any of the food you prepare out of the Kitchen. 

@traveljkkk, I believe I counted 18 cooking stations in the classroom. I might be off by a couple.

• Thanks 1

We were on the same cruise as @Jimmcdanieland DH and I each took a CAC.  They were scheduled from 1600-1800 hours for the afternoon classes.  Mornings were 1000-1200 hours.  Depending on the ship's itinerary, there may only be an afternoon offering--except on sea days when two are offered.

I echo Jim's comments that the classes take up the full two hours and more if you want to enjoy what you've cooked.  Also, while you cannot take the food out you can invite someone IN starting 10 minutes before the end of the class.  DH and I took classes solo and then the other came in to enjoy the products.

The other thing I'd caution--given the length of classes--is to select the days of your classes carefully depending on what other activities you want to do afterwards.  We missed the Captain's Welcome Party since the class did not end until after the party started although, according to the scheduled times, there should have been time to make the latter event.  (We missed something else after the second class, but I'm forgetting what it was.)  When we mentioned something on our mid-cruise comment card about the need to deconflict timing, the CD told us it was because the CAC are run by the Destinations team not her Entertainment department.  

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, EmJayDee said:

How long prior to the cruise is the selection of classes available to book? There are no classes shown yet for our cruise in January.

Very strange. The classes for our Dec 2022 cruise opened in August, so 4 months ahead. I was able to book our Culinary Arts Kitchen classes for our Dec 2023 cruise on the Splendor last week. These classes are only available on the Explorer and Splendor.

1 hour ago, RELS said:

Very strange. The classes for our Dec 2022 cruise opened in August, so 4 months ahead. I was able to book our Culinary Arts Kitchen classes for our Dec 2023 cruise on the Splendor last week. These classes are only available on the Explorer and Splendor.

Very strange. We are on Splendor in March and have already booked 2 classes. Some others were already sold out.

Once upon a time (pre-COVID), the Culinary Kitchen bookings would show up as early as the shore excursions...1 year out.  Or at random times thereafter.  I just got in the habit of checking them every few days.  Since they seem to be back in normal operation in 2023, I'd expect the lead time to get longer and longer until back to the ~1 year in advance.

We were able to book our classes for next January on Splendor and next March on Explorer some months ago.

Edited by Portolan

On 11/9/2022 at 11:29 AM, EmJayDee said:

How long prior to the cruise is the selection of classes available to book? There are no classes shown yet for our cruise in January.

All the classes maybe full. On our Dec cruise there none listed now but there were earlier as I booked one.