Cabin mate cancel

Nan_Sea

I hope you have insurance.  

Example 1:  My cabin mate canceled 3 days before cruise.  It left me scrambling since i had no insurance for this short cruise.  My travel agent did her magic and had to do something to lessen my out of pocket for single supplement. So long ago, I don't remember the specifics.  

Example 2/3:  Cabin mate cancelled due to illnesses.  I was covered completely for solo supplement.  I had insurance

Example 4:  Most recently, sisters had to cancel.  Three in room down to one.  I sailed solo with no additional out of pocket expenses.  Insurance picked up everything and refunded sisters @ 100% minus insurance premium.  I made them upgrade to PVP Platinum.  

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, cr8tiv1 said:

Example 1:  My cabin mate canceled 3 days before cruise.  It left me scrambling since i had no insurance for this short cruise.  My travel agent did her magic and had to do something to lessen my out of pocket for single supplement. So long ago, I don't remember the specifics.  

Example 2/3:  Cabin mate cancelled due to illnesses.  I was covered completely for solo supplement.  I had insurance

Example 4:  Most recently, sisters had to cancel.  Three in room down to one.  I sailed solo with no additional out of pocket expenses.  Insurance picked up everything and refunded sisters @ 100% minus insurance premium.  I made them upgrade to PVP Platinum.  

22 hours ago, cr8tiv1 said:

My aunt's friend, due to a fall, had to cancel about a week before a cruise. We called the TA, switched her name to mine, and I sent the friend a check (less the insurance) for her fare. It worked out great for both of us because I got to go on another cruise, and she didn't have to file a claim with the insurance. 

• Like 1

I just asked Princess this question as a client of mine was asking for options before making final payment. This is what I was told:

- For guest that cancels, they would pay whatever cancellation penalty is in effect at time of cancellation, with remainder of funds paid refunded back to original form of payment (Obviously, the amount refunded would be dependent on when guest cancels)

- For guest that would now be sailing solo, once the 2nd passenger is removed from the booking the price for the remaining passenger would be automatically calculated based on the solo rate. This guest would be required to pay the additional cost (the amount would be dependent on the sailing - some sailings have no or very low single supplements, while others have 200% solo supplement)

42 minutes ago, ceilidh1 said:

I just asked Princess this question as a client of mine was asking for options before making final payment. This is what I was told:

- For guest that cancels, they would pay whatever cancellation penalty is in effect at time of cancellation, with remainder of funds paid refunded back to original form of payment (Obviously, the amount refunded would be dependent on when guest cancels)

- For guest that would now be sailing solo, once the 2nd passenger is removed from the booking the price for the remaining passenger would be automatically calculated based on the solo rate. This guest would be required to pay the additional cost (the amount would be dependent on the sailing - some sailings have no or very low single supplements, while others have 200% solo supplement)

This advice sounds like there was no insurance (cancel for any reason) involved.  If you purchased Platinum Princess Vacation Protection, there should be no penalty (picked up by insurance + refund from Princess) or FCC.  Unless the event was not covered.  

8 minutes ago, cr8tiv1 said:

This advice sounds like there was no insurance (cancel for any reason) involved.  If you purchased Platinum Princess Vacation Protection, there should be no penalty (picked up by insurance + refund from Princess) or FCC.  Unless the event was not covered.  

Yes, this was without insurance and for a sailing that is after the cruise with confidence ends. Client wanted to find out what would happen in the event that one guest cancelled, and to weigh the cost/difference of what it would be to get insurance, etc, etc.

That's what I wanted to do on my no insurance cruise.  I had people lined up to take cabin mates spot.  She would not agree to it.  Cancelled at the very last minute.  She lost everything and I had to pay single supplement.  We never cruised again together.  

I have learned that the small amount that you put out for insurance is more peace of mind insurance.  I believe insurance is less than 10% of the cost of the cruise.  Penalties start at 30%.

1 hour ago, partybarbie said:

My aunt's friend, due to a fall, had to cancel about a week before a cruise. We called the TA, switched her name to mine, and I sent the friend a check (less the insurance) for her fare. It worked out great for both of us because I got to go on another cruise, and she didn't have to file a claim with the insurance. 

4 minutes ago, ceilidh1 said:

Yes, this was without insurance and for a sailing that is after the cruise with confidence ends. Client wanted to find out what would happen in the event that one guest cancelled, and to weigh the cost/difference of what it would be to get insurance, etc, etc.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, cr8tiv1 said:

That's what I wanted to do on my no insurance cruise.  I had people lined up to take cabin mates spot.  She would not agree to it.  Cancelled at the very last minute.  She lost everything and I had to pay single supplement.  We never cruised again together.  

I have learned that the small amount that you put out for insurance is more peace of mind insurance.  I believe insurance is less than 10% of the cost of the cruise.  Penalties start at 30%.

Wow 😮 I wouldn’t cruise with them again either. 

• Thanks 1