Westerdam changes.. additional tip line signing for beverages

bluesplayer

1 minute ago, VMax1700 said:

Did the bartender say 'who' had the expectation?  The particular bartender?  Bar staff in general?  or HAL?   Did he say why they had that particular expectation?

He said he had the expectation that guests should tip him more. I was offended and remember relaying that information in my survey from the cruiseline after the sailing.

2 minutes ago, albingirl said:

He said he had the expectation that guests should tip him more. I was offended and remember relaying that information in my survey from the cruiseline after the sailing.

Thanks!  I would find it offensive too.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, albingirl said:

I would have done the same.  When people start expecting or asking for things that is a huge turn off for me. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 9/17/2022 at 4:50 PM, rkacruiser said:

micromanagement from the "suits" has increased over the years and it does interfere with offering the HAL experience that the onboard crew try to provide.  

Interesting thought.
On one hand, ship’s autonomy allowed staff some creativity to improve their onboard experience (i.e. Prinsendam’s “block parties”, Captain Albert treating pax to a “behind the scenes tour” years ago when a port was cancelled). That creativity also causes the experience to be different between ships, which people also complain about.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

Of course everyone here has tons of experience running a cruise line...

My stepfather and I were on the Niew Statendam from 8/3 - 8/27. We had adjoining  rooms. Neither one of us got a post-cruise survey via email. I asked our travel 

agent if HAL sent surveys to her and she said no. The "suits" should make sure 

that every passenger gets a post cruise survey. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BetsyS. said:

My stepfather and I were on the Niew Statendam from 8/3 - 8/27. We had adjoining  rooms. Neither one of us got a post-cruise survey via email. I asked our travel 

We disembarked Rotterdam on September 11th and by that evening we both had received the surveys.  We even got a nudge reminder on September 14th.

1 hour ago, BetsyS. said:

You could contact hal.  I’m sure they would send you a link. Mine as pretty fast to show as well but one time I had to contact my pcc as my survey was missing.

I’m on the “Testerdam” now, I usually tip when it is unsolicited, but with this new sign for your drink/give me a bigger tip,  is driving me nuts.  It takes twice as long to process your order.  I used to go to the bar, ask for sparkling water or wine, hand my card to swipe and on my way I go.  Now you have to wait for them to print the receipt, put in in a folder with a pen the stand over you hoping for more money..  HAL should just up the gratuity to 20% instead of making the bar staff beg.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, SLC1954 said:

I’m on the “Testerdam” now, I usually tip when it is unsolicited, but with this new sign for your drink/give me a bigger tip,  is driving me nuts.  It takes twice as long to process your order.  I used to go to the bar, ask for sparkling water or wine, hand my card to swipe and on my way I go.  Now you have to wait for them to print the receipt, put in in a folder with a pen the stand over you hoping for more money..  HAL should just up the gratuity to 20% instead of making the bar staff beg.

Ridiculous.  And when the bar is busy, even more fun.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, SLC1954 said:

Now you have to wait for them to print the receipt, put in in a folder with a pen the stand over you hoping for more money..

On Rotterdam recently they had a 'Send a message to the Hotel Manager' form and mail box beside the front desk.  I don't know if Testerdam has a similar facility but I know if it did, I would be filling out a lot of those forms and stuffing his mailbox with complaints.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SLC1954 said:

I did send the hotel manager a note about it.  There’s a box by guest services.  He did respond.  Hope other cruisers supply feedback.  I feel if you want to leave an extra tip you can leave cash (which I did do).  Not fair the cabin stewards cannot leave a form for extra tips as well.  I like the 20% idea…

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bluesplayer said:

I did send the hotel manager a note about it.  There’s a box by guest services.  He did respond.  Hope other cruisers supply feedback.  I feel if you want to leave an extra tip you can leave cash (which I did do).  Not fair the cabin stewards cannot leave a form for extra tips as well.  I like the 20% idea…

You might like it but I don't.  18% for handing my drink to me at the bar is more than enough.  Tip more if you want to but don't force the issue on others. 

• Like 2

And whatever happened to the idea that you weren't nickeled and dimed once aboard - I remember back in the dark ages when tips were neither expected nor asked for and it was touted that's what made HAL different from say, Carnival, where apparently you were hit up for tips constantly.  This seems like the nose of the camel and where will it end - Up charges at dinner, paying for extra appetizers in the Pinnacle, one wonders what's next.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

You might like it but I don't.  18% for handing my drink to me at the bar is more than enough.  Tip more if you want to but don't force the issue on others. 

I agree!  I do not like it either.  Makes you feel obligated to tip again after being charged a tip.  I did express those feelings to the hotel manager onboard the Westerdam Sept 4 cruise.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, indybelle said:

And whatever happened to the idea that you weren't nickeled and dimed once aboard - I remember back in the dark ages when tips were neither expected nor asked for and it was touted that's what made HAL different from say, Carnival, where apparently you were hit up for tips constantly.  This seems like the nose of the camel and where will it end - Up charges at dinner, paying for extra appetizers in the Pinnacle, one wonders what's next.

good to know that's the difference b/t HAL and Carnival. Do they still do envelopes at the end deal or do any major US cruise lines do it that way (my preferred) vs nickeled and dimed

2 hours ago, bluesplayer said:

I agree!  I do not like it either.  Makes you feel obligated to tip again after being charged a tip.  I did express those feelings to the hotel manager onboard the Westerdam Sept 4 cruise.

I suffer from tip pressure from within even if service wasn’t great.  In this case I think I’d be able to resist.  I just don’t want anything more mandatory where I can’t make that decision.

2 hours ago, indybelle said:

I don’t mind the auto tip because it hits the people that may miss out.  I remember several years ago I was cruising with a couple.  If I remember correctly the cruise was about 25 days.  He thought $30 was good for the two of them for the dining staff. To me that is exceptionally cheap.  I leave the auto tip in place and more likely than not I will tip the room stewards extra.  I generally eat at specialty restaurants and I think 18 percent is adequate but I’ve been known to tip extra at times as well. Even when hal was tipping not required I still did.

7 hours ago, VMax1700 said:

'Send a message to the Hotel Manager' form and mail box beside the front desk.

Most of the ships have that box on the Front Office Desk.  Might say something about a contact for the Guest Relations Manager.  Many cruisers, I think, are unaware of this person.  She/he is easier to arrange a meeting than the Hotel Director.  

8 hours ago, SLC1954 said:

Now you have to wait for them to print the receipt,

So much for HAL "going green"?  

On 9/19/2022 at 7:50 AM, albingirl said:

He said he had the expectation that guests should tip him more.

If his service warranted an extra gratuity at the end of my cruise, he would receive it.  If not, he wouldn't.  How many bartenders serve me during a cruise?  How many bartenders would meet such a standard?  (None, in my opinion, unless I am a regular patron at their bar, they recognize that, and their service warrants such recognition.)  

36 minutes ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

I don’t mind the auto tip because it hits the people that may miss out.  I remember several years ago I was cruising with a couple.  If I remember correctly the cruise was about 25 days.  He thought $30 was good for the two of them for the dining staff. To me that is exceptionally cheap.  I leave the auto tip in place and more likely than not I will tip the room stewards extra.  I generally eat at specialty restaurants and I think 18 percent is adequate but I’ve been known to tip extra at times as well. Even when hal was tipping not required I still did.

I agree with everything you said. In 1975 I took a 7 day cruise from NY to Bermuda.

Back then, HAL advertised a "no tipping" policy.  Passengers still left cash tips

at end of cruise.  I don't think I got credit for those 7 sea days because it was 

so long ago.

1 minute ago, BetsyS. said:

Back then, HAL advertised a "no tipping" policy.  Passengers still left cash tips

This was an advertising gimmick as Holland America Lines was transitioning to Holland America Cruises.  (Then, years later, returned to Holland America Line.)  It was an attempt to make their cruise offerings different from the major Caribbean cruise lines offering itineraries of similar and cruise lengths at that time.