First time Canal ,advice please

Jotravels

2 couples hoping to go on a canal cruise in early Feb/23. One member of the group has struggled with sea sickness in the past. Our two options are the Emerald Princess,15 day, or the Zaandam,14 day. Would there be any advantage to being on the Emerald Princess for increased stability? We’ve sailed neither cruise lines so don't necessarily have loyalty to either. Any advice ,regarding either ship, and motion related issue would be greatly appreciated!

There is more here to decide than ship stability.  In my opinion, Zaandam has better ports - I love Puerto Quetzal, Guatemala for Antigua.  But she also uses the original locks.  Emerald Princess will be using the new locks.  For a first transit, definitely recommend the old/original locks.  EM

• Like 3

While the Emerald Princess being a little longer and a bit wider, that won't be enough to provide any significant improvement to the stability.  There is some thought that a lower cabin as close to the center of the ship possible will provide the best ride.  Here again I think those gains can be pretty illusive and not all that noticeable to someone who is susceptible to motion sickness.  For me, I have found that being outside and being able to view the horizon works better than anything else.

If your group has not been through the Canal before, the original locks would get my vote.

• Like 1

On 9/17/2022 at 8:16 AM, Jotravels said:

2 couples hoping to go on a canal cruise in early Feb/23. One member of the group has struggled with sea sickness in the past. Our two options are the Emerald Princess,15 day, or the Zaandam,14 day. Would there be any advantage to being on the Emerald Princess for increased stability? We’ve sailed neither cruise lines so don't necessarily have loyalty to either. Any advice ,regarding either ship, and motion related issue would be greatly appreciated!

The size of a ship has almost nothing to do with her ability to handle seas, which is primarily impacted by design and scantlings. To provide some perspective, I have worked on 40,000 ton liners (SS Oriana & SS Canberra) easily maintaining 25 kts in seas over 25', which would result in modern mega ships being reduced to about 10 kts. For rolling in beam seas, the stabalisers assist, but ships have nothing to prevent pitching, other than the Master adjusting course and/or speed.

Select the cruise with the best itinerary and bring motion of the ocean remedies.

On 9/17/2022 at 2:44 PM, rkacruiser said:

And, be sure to read The Path Between the Seas before your cruise.  It will provide the background that ought to help you better appreciate what you are seeing and experiencing.  

VERY TRUE!

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

I have worked on 40,000 ton liners (SS Oriana & SS Canberra) easily maintaining 25 kts

Maybe this will bring back a few memories... the Canberra just cleared Pedro Miguel entering the Gaillard Cut northbound.  Don't have a date for the picture, but judging from her flags I say somewhere 1980ish.  Also from her flags it looks like she was North 10Z that day.

Remember the Oriana well, a frequent visitor, but no pictures of my own.

image.thumb.png.999f469a12459443477120feb99d4ef7.png

• Like 3

2 hours ago, BillB48 said:

Maybe this will bring back a few memories... the Canberra just cleared Pedro Miguel entering the Gaillard Cut northbound.  Don't have a date for the picture, but judging from her flags I say somewhere 1980ish.  Also from her flags it looks like she was North 10Z that day.

Remember the Oriana well, a frequent visitor, but no pictures of my own.

Thanks for posting the photo. Great photo. Here are a few of the Sun Princess in the Canal

1534067550_1980-SunPrincessPanamaCanalpassengersonbridgeduringtransit.thumb.jpg.df6d9fc84817948e7742757f7da5bf39.jpg

Sun Princess (Spirit of London) Bridge - Oct/Nov 1980

66405833_1980-SunPrincessPanamaCanalcruisinglookingaft.thumb.jpg.767ac458069646d5d9100b87a46627b0.jpg1316003733_1980-SunPrincessPanamaCanal2.thumb.jpg.2cbcf0671a557a8381c5d89460587d48.jpg

SS Oriana - Nov 1980

481666680_1980-SunPrincessmeetingOrianaatsea.thumb.jpg.3f8b5e81c53c81ae1b88c3009699baad.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...
On 9/17/2022 at 8:16 AM, Jotravels said:

I have struggled with motion sickness my whole life.  After one especially horrible flight, I discovered Bonine and it was life changing.  I’ve gone on 14 cruises, all sizes and types of ships, and never had a problem with sea sickness.  Strongly recommend! 

First time to the Panama Canal, you have to experience the old locks. As for rocking and rolling on the ship, you never know what the sea may bring. I have crossed the Atlantic in the winter, it was a very smooth ride. Other places not so smooth. You would think that the sea would not move those big ships around, but it does. Sitting next to a glacier in Alaska, the ship was still, a big part of the glacier broke off. When the wave reached the ship, you could feel it move. As for the motion sickness, check with a doctor to see what may would for you. Something that works for one, may not work for you.