Just Booked Cruise for Tomorrow!

I just booked a very last minute cruise. After looking at all of the RCI options, I decided to try HAL's new ship, Noordam, 11 nites to the S. Caribbean out of NYC. Got a great price on a great cabin. Never been on HAL, so I will miss my RCI perks, but it will be interesting to see how HAL stacks up against RCI and Celebrity! I better go check HAL postings! :)

How do you book a cruise for the next day when the cruise lines have to turn in their ship's manifest 72 hours before sailing? I didn't think this was possible any longer.

Right... How is this possible?

It's 24 hours for a cruise ship and has something to do with where you are leaving from. I read somewhere that ships coming from overseas have to turn in their manifest 72 hours before docking in the US.

need to go look, brb.

Probably not fibbing. The lines are taking more last minute passengers. he poster has over 400 posts and has been a member since 2004. Most people prone to making stuff up are in and out.

Hmm... He also made similar assertions on four different boards. If you or I were leaving on a cruise tomorrow, would we waste our time making multiple posts here?:confused:

Hard to believe you can book in one day. Way back when ..pre sept 11...you were able to stand at the pier and hope for a cabin. My understanding is those days are long gone. As a side note anyone can write whatever they want as a signature. Not saying the poster has not done all those cruisers but there are many out there who make things up.

Hmm... He also made similar assertions on four different boards. If you or I were leaving on a cruise tomorrow, would we waste our time making multiple posts here?:confused:

Good point. After the week I had at work, I wish I was cruising tomorrow! :p

Have to wait till October, though.;)

From the number of cruises listed, I'm guessing he's a travel agent.

It would seem to me that a travel agent would have made it onto HAL long before his 43rd cruise if for no other reason than to be able to compare the line for his customers. I also doubt that an agent has to worry about not having his RCI "perks". They probably get perks from all the cruise lines.

I'm not cynical. I simply asked a question. After reading the link that you provided, maybe the issue is cruises arriving in US ports have to submit a manifest within 72 hrs. I'm not sure. But this is the first that I have read here about a cruise being booked so close to departure.

It would seem to me that a travel agent would have made it onto HAL long before his 43rd cruise if for no other reason than to be able to compare the line for his customers. I also doubt that an agent has to worry about not having his RCI "perks". They probably get perks from all the cruise lines.

Lol as a former travel agent it always makes me laugh to see what people think of agents and travel. It's incedibly low paying, hardly any time off and you are mostly a go between a phone line and a computer! :p I never traveled less or more cheaply than the 15 years I was an agent!

You can book up to 24 hours before the ship leaves.

Press Release

ICCL Statement: Intelligence Reform and Terrorism Prevention Act

Cruise Ship Passenger and Crew Manifests

Contact: Christine Fischer, (703) 522-8463 or cfischer@iccl.org

ARLINGTON, Va. (December 16, 2004) - The U.S. Congress recently approved legislation that will create sweeping reform of the U.S. intelligence community. The International Council of Cruise Lines (ICCL) is supportive of Congress’ efforts as our highest priority is the safety and security of its passengers and crew. The legislation contained a number of elements related to border security and entry into the United States including a provision that requires cruise ships to submit passenger and crew manifest information to the government prior to boarding.

Currently, cruise ships must submit passenger and crew manifest information to the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) through Customs and Border Protection upon departure from and 24 hours prior to arrival in a U.S. port. This is in accordance to the federal Advanced Passenger Information System (APIS) requirement, and the industry has been submitting these to the government for several years. In addition, the ships must submit Notice of Arrival (NOA) manifests to the U.S. Coast Guard 96 hours in advance of arrival at a U.S. port.

There have been inaccurate reports in the media that crew manifests are not currently required to be submitted. Crew as well as passenger manifest information is submitted to federal authorities in accordance with APIS and NOA requirements. In addition, on cruise ships that visit U.S. ports, foreign crewmembers are required to have a U.S work visa which entails background checks by U.S. embassy staff prior to issuance.

The ICCL seeks to work with the DHS to clarify wording in the bill regarding manifest submission to government agencies “prior to boarding.” “We have no objection to ensuring that the government has a chance to properly compare individual’s names to databases of the federal government, but we hope that is not done in a redundant manner or cause an unnecessary delay in the ship’s departure,” said Michael Crye, president, ICCL.

So he is telling the truth.

You all are so cynical ;)

I've seen GMoney post alot here, so he's no "fibber". And if you check out the Hal boards, they explain how he is able to board in 24 hours....

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=307691

Have a great time! :D

Thank you Carol, CruiseMama and others who came to my defense! I am not fibbing! Man this is a tough crowd! :) And I am most certainly NOT a travel agent! (Although maybe I should be)! :D I will take a picture and then post it upon my return as proof for all of you doubting thomases. You all have a nice 11 days!

People who qualify for interline rates (airline employee) can get some fantastic deals for VERY last miniute cruises. The fact that they dont pay for there airfare makes the deal even sweeter. If not an agent? maybe this is the case???:confused:

Archived