Three things you should never do when booking Oceania

Robjame

3 hours ago, susiesan said:

Maybe my recent NCL cruise was a one off one as to sharing dinner tables. I hope so. If people areafraid to dine with others because of covid it's time to get over it and rejoin the world as it carries on.

or....perhaps you could accept that there are people who have perfectly valid reasons not to share and just accept that.  It really isn't all about you.

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

IF ( and a big if) the ships are returning to full or near full capacities, 

THEN, the opportunities to not share and eat alone will significantly diminish. There are only so many two tops.

For those insisting upon eating alone, the  primary option will be to eat later, after the early wave, or eat in the Terrace that has a quicker turnaround.

I used to find it amazing to see a line forming at the GDR shortly after 6:00 and reaching almost to the elevators by opening at 6:30. I once commented on not understanding why those people were so hungry so to line up so early. I was quickly corrected and told they were most trying to get two tops and not share a table.

We love meeting people and sharing a table but at our last cruise we found it almost impossible to enjoy our meals. Out of the 4 times we shared only once did we have a peaceful enjoyable meal. Controversial political opinions have become the norm in dining venues. We were given a pass since we are Canadians, but otherwise I am sure we would have been tarred and feathered since our opinions varied from the others at the table. 

Even discussing our Canadian situations became battle grounds. 

Not an enjoyable way to have a meal. 

So if we could not get a reservation with those of like minds, or by ourselves, we began to avoid the specialty areas. 

Perhaps a time will come when you are asked your political affiliations before being sat with others. ( tongue in cheek)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Agree.  And that is not "tougue-in-cheek."  Have experienced similar too many times on cruises, to include in buffets.  Too many people parrot what they are given on radical web sites and cable channels.  Have discovered they cannot explain why they feel the way they do, just crudely repeat the pablum.

Note here that I taught national security strategy at the US National War College and enjoy the details...many do not.

Maybe separate by port and starboard?  

Edited by Ride-The-Waves
  • Like 4
  • Haha 2

38 minutes ago, jonthomas said:

We love meeting people and sharing a table but at our last cruise we found it almost impossible to enjoy our meals. Out of the 4 times we shared only once did we have a peaceful enjoyable meal. Controversial political opinions have become the norm in dining venues. We were given a pass since we are Canadians, but otherwise I am sure we would have been tarred and feathered since our opinions varied from the others at the table. 

If table mates  ask us about politics etc

We say we do not discuss politics, religion, Canadian healthcare

If the topic continues  we  excuse ourselves before dessert

JMO

• Like 8

45 minutes ago, jonthomas said:

So if we could not get a reservation with those of like minds, or by ourselves, we began to avoid the specialty areas. 

Perhaps a time will come when you are asked your political affiliations before being sat with others. ( tongue in cheek)

The last time we shared a table with a couple from Canada, Ontario, I think, all they wanted to talk about was gun control and what "we" were doing about it.  I really don't think it is any of their business.  If afraid, then don't come to the states.  Turns out, the husband has a gun in his home.  A bit hypocritical, IMO. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Ride-The-Waves said:

Agree.  And that is not "tougue-in-cheek."  Have experienced similar too many times on cruises, to include in buffets.  Too many people parrot what they are given on radical web sites and cable channels.  Have discovered they cannot explain why they feel the way they do, just crudely repeat the pablum.

Note here that I taught national security strategy at the US National War College and enjoy the details...many do not.

Maybe separate by port and starboard?  

You mean by left or right? 😋

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, ssawjo said:

The last time we shared a table with a couple from Canada, Ontario, I think, all they wanted to talk about was gun control and what "we" were doing about it.  I really don't think it is any of their business.  If afraid, then don't come to the states.  Turns out, the husband has a gun in his home.  A bit hypocritical, IMO. 

Are you equating gun control with no guns?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jonthomas said:

We’ve had the same experience (and are Canadian also), which is why we prefer to eat alone. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, pinotlover said:

IF ( and a big if) the ships are returning to full or near full capacities, 

THEN, the opportunities to not share and eat alone will significantly diminish. There are only so many two tops.

For those insisting upon eating alone, the  primary option will be to eat later, after the early wave, or eat in the Terrace that has a quicker turnaround.

I used to find it amazing to see a line forming at the GDR shortly after 6:00 and reaching almost to the elevators by opening at 6:30. I once commented on not understanding why those people were so hungry so to line up so early. I was quickly corrected and told they were most trying to get two tops and not share a table.

Not sure of others, but our experiences of not having a table for two readily available in GDR have exclusively been on R class ships. Have never had to wait for a two top during our multiple cruises on Riviera and Marina. One big reason we prefer O class. 

• Like 1

It is something we could gather and discuss during those sea days crossing the Pond.

Experienced two wonderful guest speakers on an Azamara cruise Mumbai-Athens.  One was a corporate educator responsible for "educating" executives on other than US cultures and the other a political scientist from a large mid-western US university.  Educational and entertaining.

4 minutes ago, edgee said:

Not sure of others, but our experiences of not having a table for two readily available in GDR have exclusively been on R class ships. Have never had to wait for a two top during our multiple cruises on Riviera and Marina. One big reason we prefer O class. 

Interesting.  This will be our first O experience, however have sailed frequently on Azamara pre-COVID.  Never a problem for us getting a two-top.  We enjoy dining earlyish...

38 minutes ago, Cape Hernlopen said:

Dear Fellow Cruisers:

According to the great American "poet" Bob Dylan there is "no left wing or right wing only up wing and down wing".  I thought that the Oceania demographic was mainly "up wing".

Joel Barry

Up wing as in "getting up there in age"? 🙄 

• Haha 1

Dear RTW and Susiesan:

What Dylan meant by "up wing" was the elite, the financial well off whereas the "down wing" were the poor, downtrodden, economically disadvantaged. Afterall he was the champion of the underclass when he wrote those poignant lines.  I consider that most people on Oceania are financially well off economically and probably well up in years.

Joel Barry

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Cape Hernlopen said:

Dear RTW and Susiesan:

What Dylan meant by "up wing" was the elite, the financial well off whereas the "down wing" were the poor, downtrodden, economically disadvantaged. Afterall he was the champion of the underclass when he wrote those poignant lines.  I consider that most people on Oceania are financially well off economically and probably well up in years.

Joel Barry

Are you speaking of yourself?

What is "well up in years" in your opinion?

Dear LHT28:

If "28" is for the year you were born, you are older than me.  If "28" is your current age, you are younger than me.  That puts me somewhere between 29 and 94 years of age.  In either case, I bet that I can beat you in Pickleball!  For your information, in my opinion 75 or older is "up wing" in age.

Joel Barry

• Haha 1

51 minutes ago, Cape Hernlopen said:

Dear LHT28:

If "28" is for the year you were born, you are older than me.  If "28" is your current age, you are younger than me.  That puts me somewhere between 29 and 94 years of age.  In either case, I bet that I can beat you in Pickleball!  For your information, in my opinion 75 or older is "up wing" in age.

Joel Barry

Well 28 is  the day of the month  I was born on 🙂

I am not quite  "Up wing" in your age opinion

I bet you can beat me at pickleball too as I never play the game