Where is Oceania docking when advertising Venice 2023

welshfamily

Just researching cruises for next summer. The Sirena is advertising two cruises in July. One Istanbul to Venice ( 17-27) and Venice to Monte Carlo (27-6th august)

Does anyone know where the ship will dock ? 

We do not want to be bussed around the Italian countryside. We also want to make our own travel arrangements and stay for a few days before or after.

Can anyone tell us when Oceania told them where their cruises (advertised as Venice ) would be docking. 

Even though Sirena is a smaller ship not sure she will dock in Venice itself. We sailed from Venice in 2019 down the grand Canal  and no this no longer happens.

4 hours ago, welshfamily said:

Just researching cruises for next summer. The Sirena is advertising two cruises in July. One Istanbul to Venice ( 17-27) and Venice to Monte Carlo (27-6th august)

Does anyone know where the ship will dock ? 

We do not want to be bussed around the Italian countryside. We also want to make our own travel arrangements and stay for a few days before or after.

Can anyone tell us when Oceania told them where their cruises (advertised as Venice ) would be docking. 

Even though Sirena is a smaller ship not sure she will dock in Venice itself. We sailed from Venice in 2019 down the grand Canal  and no this no longer happens.

I think you meant that the ship sailed along the Giudecca Canal.

No "ship" is able to sail along the Grand Canal.  It would be full of gondolas and water taxis, etc., and some of the slightly larger public boats, which are for local transportation.

(A "ship" could not fit under the Rialto Bridge, for example.)

GC

We have a cruise booked on The Riviera in April, 2023 that was supposed to end in Venice. We will now end in Trieste. We were "officially' told about the change about two months ago and given $250 OBC for our troubles. The cruise is now listed as Rome to Trieste. 

On the Riviera return to sailing cruise last October, Venice became Trieste but everyone still flew into Marco Polo airport and then were transported to Trieste. While Trieste is not Venice, you can still enjoy Venice as many days as you like and Trieste was really an enjoyable new port to tour. 
Enjoy,

Mauibabes

@welshfamily Our October 2021 cruise ending in Venice became Trieste. They provided buses to Marco Polo at the end of the cruise and we then took a water taxi from the airport directly to our hotel in Venice to enjoy a few post-cruise days there. It was such a memorable trip - maybe not quite as memorable as our sail away from Venice on Riviera in 2012... but memorable nonetheless. Trieste was also an interesting city that we probably would not have visited otherwise. However, COVID restrictions prevented us from exploring on our own at that time.

Thinking about booking a cruise on the Nautica for October 2023. The Oceania website still says that the cruise ends in Venice but I understand that Oceania is currently using the port in Trieste because of the ban on the Port of Venice. 

has anyone heard anything about the ban possibly being lifted sometime next year.

thanks so much

I've noticed several cruise lines listing Venice for next year.  I'm not sure if part of the situation is hope that the regs may be modified to let some of the smaller ships (such as R-class Oceania/Azamara) dock at Maritima.  It could also be an expectation (hope) that the local authorities will get around to dredging/finishing the other two berths at the Mestre/Fusina ferry terminal (again for smaller cruise ships).  Or even that more dock space for larger ships will be available next year in Mestre (MSC was able to use this consistently this year, but I think they owned/controlled one of the container ship docks in Mestre.

Looking at satellite photos on Google maps, it appears that at least the Fusina work has been completed so that up to four ferries and cruise ships can dock there.  There's also signs of some work up on the Industrial North canal area (by the shipyard), but I'm not sure if that is passenger-related or not.  My guess is that there will be more of the Oceania/Azamara/Viking/Seabourn class of ships using Fusina next year (and calling it "Venice").  Still an awkward situation with security and baggage handling at Maritima and maybe 45-minute shuttle to the ship, but not as far away as Ravenna/Trieste.

1 hour ago, Cal El said:

Thinking about booking a cruise on the Nautica for October 2023. The Oceania website still says that the cruise ends in Venice but I understand that Oceania is currently using the port in Trieste because of the ban on the Port of Venice. 

has anyone heard anything about the ban possibly being lifted sometime next year.

thanks so much

The ban will not be lifted next year or any year in the future.  The cruise ship ban happened after nearly 2 decades of controversy (in both Venice and in Rome).  It is likely that a new cruise port will eventually be built on the nearby mainland (possibly in Marghera) although, like most things in Italy, it will likely be in our next lifetime.  

Hank

• Haha 1

Thanks all. 
Decided to rule both cruises out as we had no desire to book a cruise not knowing  where we actually need to book flights/ hotels etc to.

There are no roll calls for either of these cruises. 
I know someone will come in with…..not every cruiser reads cruise critic however I believe a lot of people read these boards without logging in. I certainly read reviews on trip advisor etc when researching hotels etc.

Slim pickings for next years Uk summer holidays. Both Marina and Rivera are doing Norway/Iceland. The Insigna is travelling between New York and Reykjavik. 
Assume this is down to Russian conflict and COVID ( ports which would agree in advance to let cruises in). Vista almost fully booked. 

I know it is our choice to only book a year out ( unless it is a special itinerary) but we usually see quite a lot of things opening up as cruises are cancelled. 

13 minutes ago, welshfamily said:

Oh Thank you.

Will  ring TA in morning to confirm. 
We would be quite happy with Trieste. To be honest we would be quite happy to embark at any port as long as we know where it is. Hi 

It will be one of three places:  Marghera/Fusina, Trieste, or Ravenna.  While you could fly in to Bologna for Ravenna, Venice VCE is actually a good airport for all of the possibilities.

I guess it's a shorter hop for you, but coming from the US we always fly in at least 1 day early – so once the embarkation port is finalized we would book our transfer accordingly.  [Actually that's exactly what we did for our Azamara cruise next week:  booked refundable hotel reservations in Venice and Trieste (Then they surprised us with Ravenna! But by then we had switched the Venice option to Padua, and we decided to keep that because we'll never get there again...)]

On 9/22/2022 at 4:35 PM, Cal El said:

thanks so much

Our October 2023 Barcelona to Athens cruise on Riviera had overnight in Venice. We received notice from Oceania in May that we won’t be visiting Venice.  They substituted an extra stop in Croatia and a day in Trieste, and gave us an onboard credit.  Had we not been to Venice before I think we would be disappointed, but we’re happy with the substitutions.  

Edited by LNielsen

2 minutes ago, LNielsen said:

Our October 2023 Barcelona to Athens cruise on Riviera had overnight in Venice. We received notice from Oceania in May that we won’t be visiting Venice.  They substituted an extra stop in Croatia and a day in Trieste, and gave us an onboard credit.  Had we not been to Venice before I think we would be disappointed, but we’re happy with the substitutions.  

You were lucky to get  an OBC  for something so far in advance & out of the cruise lines control

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, LNielsen said:

Never having been to Trieste or Ravenna, I was happy with whichever port we ended up in.  Marghera was not looking like a bargain...

Just now, Host Jazzbeau said:

Never having been to Trieste or Ravenna, I was happy with whichever port we ended up in.  Marghera was not looking like a bargain...

Agree.   We’ve never been to Croatia so adding a fourth port there was a nice surprise and I’ve heard great things about Trieste, we’re pleased with what we’re getting.  

• Like 1

Does anyone have the address for the cruise port in Trieste. We have booked private transport from Venice to there on May 20th next year, but the service's computerized booking would like a more precise address. When we booked it was Venice, but with the change Oceania allowed a $250 OBC. That was nice of them, Nicer for us is that our cruise on the Vista is now the maiden voyage! More free champagne. 

Thanks to everyone for the information. 
Will most likely book the Rome - Venice cruise regardless of whatever port it uses for disembarkation.  Really like the itinerary and may just book the transfers from the final port and stay a night or two in Venice and fly home from there. 

• Like 1

On 9/24/2022 at 9:07 AM, ChadnKate said:

Does anyone have the address for the cruise port in Trieste. We have booked private transport from Venice to there on May 20th next year, but the service's computerized booking would like a more precise address. When we booked it was Venice, but with the change Oceania allowed a $250 OBC. That was nice of them, Nicer for us is that our cruise on the Vista is now the maiden voyage! More free champagne. 

There are two ports in Trieste. The main terminal is at the city center and you could practically walk to the ship from your Trieste  hotel.  But typically, MSC and Costa get the pick of the few berths. The other is the industrial port which requires a cab ride of about 15 minutes. O will not know which port until next year but either way, you will find it easy to get to.

10 hours ago, Aloha 1 said:

There are two ports in Trieste. The main terminal is at the city center and you could practically walk to the ship from your Trieste  hotel.  But typically, MSC and Costa get the pick of the few berths. The other is the industrial port which requires a cab ride of about 15 minutes. O will not know which port until next year but either way, you will find it easy to get to.

Thank you. It’s the second location closer by road to Venice or further away??

13 hours ago, ChadnKate said:

Thank you. It’s the second location closer by road to Venice or further away??

A little further as it's about 15 minutes from city center. We took the train from Venezia Mestre station to Trieste ( about 1hour 50 minutes) and stayed at the Doubletree which I highly recommend. Trieste is a beautiful city in its own right.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1