Sushi on Five menu

patty1955

1 minute ago, patty1955 said:

It looks like there are two different menus for Sushi on Five (at least on Summit.) The website has a prix fixe and the app has an al a carte menu. Does anyone know which is correct?

Also, is the $12 wasabi worth it? Thanks!

We did it in February several times it was a la carte , I don’t think we had the wasabi , but we tried several things in the menu and liked everything, my favorite was the lobster dumplings. Wife loved the sushi.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, George C said:

We did it in February several times it was a la carte , I don’t think we had the wasabi , but we tried several things in the menu and liked everything, my favorite was the lobster dumplings. Wife loved the sushi.

Thank you. My husband loves sushi but $12 wasabi makes me cringe. I'm thinking of taking my own.

4 minutes ago, Cruise Gopher said:

$12 for Wasabi? What am I missing here, why are they charging for wasabi?

I'm sure the sushi rolls come with complimentary 'regular' wasabi and ginger but this is freshly-ground wasabi root prepared tableside by a server, a la tableside guac. Interestingly on the app for my sailing next month, it shows as $10 vs $12.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Most “wasabi” you get at any sushi restaurant is not genuine wasabi.  We love Sushi on 5 and one time my husband did get the wasabi prepared tableside.  It takes a long time for them to grate it for you.  My husband said it was delicious and worth the cost but not something you would have every time.  The poor waiter was tired after making it!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, bjahil47 said:

1 hour ago, OrcaGirl said:

I'm sure the sushi rolls come with complimentary 'regular' wasabi and ginger but this is freshly-ground wasabi root prepared tableside by a server, a la tableside guac. Interestingly on the app for my sailing next month, it shows as $10 vs $12.

1 minute ago, bjahil47 said:

Most “wasabi” you get at any sushi restaurant is not genuine wasabi.  We love Sushi on 5 and one time my husband did get the wasabi prepared tableside.  It takes a long time for them to grate it for you.  My husband said it was delicious and worth the cost but not something you would have every time.  The poor waiter was tired after making it!

Most wasabi is just horseradish. I have a wasabi powder that I use to make our own when we have sushi. It's better that what the restaurant gives us.

We had freshly prepared horseradish once at a restaurant and it was very good. I'm sure freshly prepared wasabi is good too.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, patty1955 said:

It's on the menu on the app

The $12.00 is for freshly grated wasabi, they still give you the reconstituted stuff for free.

My daughter seemed to,think it was worth it, says it tastes so much better than the normal stuff they give you. They gave her a free sample and then Oct curse she purchased it.

4 hours ago, patty1955 said:

The website has a prix fixe and the app has an al a carte menu

Sushi on 5 is definitely a la carte. I think the $35 you are referring to is for those who buy a specialty dining package for multiple nights, those guests can use their package for sushi on five and are given $35 pp toward the a la carte bill. Sushi on five is excellent  we always go for lunch there on embarkation day rather than the madhouse rush of the buffet. Relax and have a leisurely meal and by the time you’re done they are announcing cabins are ready.  

• Like 1

13 hours ago, patty1955 said:

Also, is the $12 wasabi worth it?

If you've never had the real, honest-to-goodness, freshly grated wasabi (or you have and love the stuff), then the $12 is totally worth it.  It's quite something.  If you are not interested in that and are fine with the more commonly found "wasabi" that pretty much is horseradish and green food coloring, then it is not.  Personally, I go back and forth on the subject.

It sounds like you have had the real, fresh stuff, so go where the spirit moves you.  Do be prepared for them not to have it available, though.  It's been a little spotty since the restart and understandably so.

What you DON'T want to miss, though, is the "Caramelized Ginger Bread" dessert.  The ginger bread, itself, is good and all.  However, it's the wasabi gelato that is the real star of the show.  That stuff is amazing.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, letsgogogo said:

Sushi on 5 is definitely a la carte. I think the $35 you are referring to is for those who buy a specialty dining package for multiple nights, those guests can use their package for sushi on five and are given $35 pp toward the a la carte bill. Sushi on five is excellent  we always go for lunch there on embarkation day rather than the madhouse rush of the buffet. Relax and have a leisurely meal and by the time you’re done they are announcing cabins are ready.  

FYI, no more “waiting” for cabins to open.  When you board you go directly to your cabin to get your sea pass cards and drop off any carry on items.  If the cabins aren’t yet ready (1sh) you leave and get lunch, drink, etc.

Between assigned boarding times and the ability to drop off carry one the lunch experience is no longer the madhouse of the past.

• Thanks 1

Table-prepared wasabi is not available at Raw on Five which is the sushi restaurant on Edge, etc.

We tried it and it was good but if counting $'s and having it several times before I would pass.  Fun thing to do.  We do enjoy the menu much more on Sushi on Five but that menu may have also changed recently.

We try this restaurant at least once a cruise but the last time we have a very difficult time getting a lunch reservation due to limited staff.  They were running around going crazy and really not giving their guests proper service.  Evening seems to be better although their selection of available Saki was limited with many choices not available.

We still plan to be there in December.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jelayne said:

FYI, no more “waiting” for cabins to open.  When you board you go directly to your cabin to get your sea pass cards and drop off any carry on items.  If the cabins aren’t yet ready (1sh) you leave and get lunch, drink, etc.

Between assigned boarding times and the ability to drop off carry one the lunch experience is no longer the madhouse of the past.

Ahhh makes total sense. I knew about the sea pass on door thing to drop bags but thought you still had to stay out otherwise until an announcement. I still plan to do sushi on embarkation. It’s just a nice quiet way to kick off that first day. 

30 minutes ago, letsgogogo said:

I knew about the sea pass on door thing to drop bags but thought you still had to stay out otherwise until an announcement.

Most likely, you do.  The attendants likely aren't done with your room.

12 hours ago, letsgogogo said:

Sushi on 5 is definitely a la carte. I think the $35 you are referring to is for those who buy a specialty dining package for multiple nights, those guests can use their package for sushi on five and are given $35 pp toward the a la carte bill. 

You're probably right. This is the menu I was referring to: https://www.celebritycruises.com/content/dam/celebrity/restaurants-and-bars/restaurant-menu/sushi-on-five-menu.pdf

I have never seen the lunch menu before where you make 3 choices and we last sailed in June on Summit.  However, I have found that including Sushi on Five or Raw Five is not a good choice to use as one of your 3 night package selections since we have found we dine there for approx. $60 for two and had more than we could eat.  If you have a multi night package then maybe that would work.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, patty1955 said:

No, I think you are right! Didn’t realize that So5 was doing some prix fixe meals. Not seen this before. Maybe it helps people to make a decision to opt in if they can know just what they’ll spend.