Passport book and card?? Do you have both?

helene109

12 minutes ago, CruizinSusan70 said:

Instead of investing in a passport card, which I feel isn't worth it since we have the book, we invested in Global Entry, which substantially quickens any return via customs from overseas and domestically it includes tsa precheck.

We have both Global Entry and passport cards. Global Entry actually costs us nothing because we have credit cards that pay the fee.

Probably a bit of overkill to also have the passport cards but for some reason I find the 10 year validity comforting.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, helene109 said:

I have had a Passport card for years and when we did our first NCL last month I didn’t see it listed anywhere on their site. We have done Carnival a few times and have had no problems. We have another NCL booked for April.

Have our Passport appointment today. How many of you have the book and card? Just wondering if I am going to miss my card. Thanks!

I just got my new passport, i debated whether to pay the extra $30 dollars to get the card as well. The way things are today and being latino is probably a good idea to carry that card with me at all times, but then decided to just get the passport by itself. Some people have said that getting the passport takes a long time, mine only took 3 weeks, regular mail, not expedited.The rest of my family have the card, they swear by it, is a personal choice. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, spanishguy1970 said:

I just got my new passport, i debated whether to pay the extra $30 dollars to get the card as well. The way things are today and being latino is probably a good idea to carry that card with me at all times, but then decided to just get the passport by itself. Some people have said that getting the passport takes a long time, mine only took 3 weeks, regular mail, not expedited.The rest of my family have the card, they swear by it, is a personal choice. 

I don’t think it makes a difference in timing, my kids just got them in the spring and the books and cards didn’t arrive together.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

As several have suggested, this is not necessarily an "either/or" situation.  The added card does have utility for some of us (as has been described) and is no more a "waste of money" then some of the many other things cruise related that people report spending money for.  Should we talk about priority embarkation fees?  LOL. 🤣

Agree... While we only do Mexican Riviera, and Carribean cruises we saw no need for a PP. (Yes I know in the evnt of leaving a ship for a emergency, etc....) We have cruised numerous times...just using BC and License.... My Passport expired as I no longer do Int'l Business.  When disembarking on our last cruise (3 years ago)...The Immigration officer lectured me for 5 minutes on why didn't I have a PP!! Im not a kid and in my 60's.... I politely listened.to him ranting while the line behid me didn't move lol.... I was very close to "politely" reminding him that my documentation was perfectly acceptable....but instead of forcing the issue....didn;t want to show him up and likely deal with further inspection... So we did get a Card and as my wife said....we can use if for flights until we get our Real ID  once regular licenses are no longer an acceptable flight boarding ID   

Edited by lcpagejr
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 9/23/2022 at 1:49 PM, ChiefMateJRK said:

We've always just gotten both.  It's nice to leave the book in the room safe and slip the card into my lanyard holder along with my NCL card.  Plus, if I were to ever lose one, I have the other as a backup.

Excellent reasoning!  I intended to post that a passport card was unnecessary for myself, as my military ID card already obviates the need for a Real ID driver's licence.  But having a passport card as a back-up, in case something happens to one's passport book is a nice bit of precaution.  Thirty dollars is a trivial amount to pay for a safeguard, if one's passport is lost or stolen.

Much obliged for your post.

• Like 1

I also have both, for similar reasons that others have reported.  I keep the book in the safe & carry the card on excursions.  I also use the card to fly domestically, since I haven't gotten around to getting the Kansas Real ID driver's license yet.  

• Like 1