Gift Cards

bhawks9

Does anyone know where you an purchase discounted Princess Gift Cards?   I have used AARP rewards (which is free to join btw) which offers 10% off and is great when you have to purchase in the thousands of dollars.   They only allow purchase of five a month, and there cart purchase has been down for awhile with no guarantee when it will be back up.   I need to purchase 5 this month and next for a cruise payment due in October.   And if you wondering why I didn’t purchase earlier, I had to buy in June, July and August for my November cruise!  😀   Any ideas would be appreciated!  Thanks!

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, bhawks9 said:

Does anyone know where you an purchase discounted Princess Gift Cards?   I have used AARP rewards (which is free to join btw) which offers 10% off and is great when you have to purchase in the thousands of dollars.   They only allow purchase of five a month, and there cart purchase has been down for awhile with no guarantee when it will be back up.   I need to purchase 5 this month and next for a cruise payment due in October.   And if you wondering why I didn’t purchase earlier, I had to buy in June, July and August for my November cruise!  😀   Any ideas would be appreciated!  Thanks!

I've been looking as well! I bought $4,000 worth last year through All State at 15% off but they only have Carnival, Celebrity, and Royal C this year! 

Understand the trouble with AARP. We too have been purchasing 5 per month per person since July. Had some trouble at the beginning of September as they were having trouble with their system. We eventually got a total of 10 cards but were charged four times instead of two. Their customer service was no help. Dispute in progress with the credit card company.

Hoping things are straightened out by October!

Sorry, don't know of any other source for discounted cards. Checked Costco but all they have is Southwest Airlines, no cruises...

On 9/23/2022 at 2:35 PM, Esjung1 said:

I've been looking as well! I bought $4,000 worth last year through All State at 15% off but they only have Carnival, Celebrity, and Royal C this year! 

Actually, AARP still has discounted Princess gift cards.  But when you go to search you have to choose "redeem" and "all rewards" (NOT member rewards) to find the Princess (and HAL) gift cards.  Still, as others have pointed out, the AARP gift card purchase function is not working on their website right now.  Who knows when AARP will fix that.

Edited by Petersonfcu

Several years ago we were able to buy a $1K gift card for $500 from a private seller who no longer wanted to cruise. I doubt we'll ever come across a bargain like that again.

Here's a site I just found with a small discount.

I suggest you do your homework before spending any $ with them.

https://giftinventory.com/buy-discount-gift.php?card=Princess+Cruises

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Petersonfcu said:

Actually, AARP still has discounted Princess gift cards.  But when you go to search you have to choose "redeem" and "all rewards" (NOT member rewards) to find the Princess (and HAL) gift cards.  Still, as others have pointed out, the AARP gift card purchase function is not working on their website right now.  Who knows when AARP will fix that.

Yep, I just checked and couldn't complete a purchase.  Maybe if I call direct, I really don't need them right now, I've got $300 left from my last purchase and that will probably cover my shipboard account on my October cruise. 

On 9/23/2022 at 7:47 PM, Roatanfans said:

Maybe look at Costco or Sam's Club?  Costco usually sells discount gift cards, guessing Sam's Club does also.

I shop at Sam's. Have never seen Princess cards either in person, or online.

I get my Princess cards from Chase with the reward points... I hope they don't have expiration dates, because I got a couple of them last year and a couple this year.

I have hesitated to sign up for AARP as I don't want to be inundated with (even more than I get now) a bunch of email or texts. I've seen any number of postings online about avalanches of "offers" when people have signed up for AARP. Is this a valid concern?

• Like 1

I was signed up for AARP rewards, which is free and I did see an uptick in emails.  No texts, but they are trying to get me to sign up for AARP membership.   Not overwhelming, usually just hit delete!   The rewards program is great though.  

7 hours ago, Thrak said:

I have hesitated to sign up for AARP as I don't want to be inundated with (even more than I get now) a bunch of email or texts. I've seen any number of postings online about avalanches of "offers" when people have signed up for AARP. Is this a valid concern?

I have been signed up for about three years.  I have never gotten a text from them. I do get about 1 or 2 emails a week and periodic things in the mail. 

I use them to pay for the cruise.   You get e-gift cards sent to you that you enter the info on the Princess payment page.  You have to enter one at a time to pay, but worth it.  As an example, if you buy $5,000 worth (10 x $500 gift cards) on AARP you save $500!  

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, bhawks9 said:

I use them to pay for the cruise.   You get e-gift cards sent to you that you enter the info on the Princess payment page.  You have to enter one at a time to pay, but worth it.  As an example, if you buy $5,000 worth (10 x $500 gift cards) on AARP you save $500!  

True that.  I keep checking and now it appears as if only $100 certs are available.  Add to the tech problem that AARP is having and I can't score those.  Hopefully they'll add back in the $500 denomination soon, but I doubt it'll be this month.  Here's hoping.

10 hours ago, bhawks9 said:

This is genius!  Thanks.

I always get asked in hotels if I have AARP. I don't have it so just now when booking a hotel online I checked the different rates offered. AARP is not showing as the best rate no matter which hotel I choose. What's up with that?

There have been issues with purchasing AARP gift cards for the past few weeks.  Essentially the check out function is not working and you cannot purchase via phone or any other way.  Apparently the site was fixed yesterday for a few hours, but then it went down again.  I just checked, and it is down as I post this.  See the thread on the HAL board linked below.  Also:

• You do not have to pay to join AARP to join the free AARP rewards.  There is however a USA residency requirement.
  • You are limited to purchasing 5 cards per month.
  • All of the cruise line gift cards were always either in $100 or $500 denominations.  The $500 cards for all cruise lines were recently taken off the site. Not sure if they will return.

Edited by Jersey42
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Thrak said:

I always get asked in hotels if I have AARP. I don't have it so just now when booking a hotel online I checked the different rates offered. AARP is not showing as the best rate no matter which hotel I choose. What's up with that?

They may not be the cheapest rate, but it usually does still net a discount...