Are MSC's Voyager's Club membership perks nearly worthless?

Stockjock

2 hours ago, Stockjock said:

What did you get for dinner on the tasting menu?  Were portions tiny?

I chose Butcher’s Cut for my restaurant. Meal consists of a bread, starter, main, one side, and dessert.

The bread selection was superior to any MDR’s bread, which included a bacon and cheese roll. I selected the Caesar salad - the use of shaved Parmesan and Parmesan crisps was a nice addition.  I had a doggie bag for half of my 6 oz filet, cooked to the medium rare I requested. This came with 4 sauces. Perhaps a tomato on the plate?  Brussel sprouts.  Then dessert. 

Eaten al fresco (Seashore) at sunset.  

Portions are reasonable size; for me, too much food (but I routinely share steak at restaurants).  

More importantly, I found it to be very good food.  That seems to be the case of most reports for this restaurant. 

• Like 4

I believe Kaito is also a choice.  I tried it as a lunch on a Sea Day. Well prepared, but I find steak to be a more universal flavor profile than hibachi.  And I have a restaurant at home whose flavors I enjoy. In probability, Kaito is probably superior to what I like. Miso soup, salad, rice, veggies, entree (I think included was a chicken + other protein), sushi and sashimi pieces, and dessert. 

Again, the word “worth.”  I did not sail MSC before I was granted Black / Diamond status. On my first cruise, I had a free meal. Champagne / drinks at the VC Diamond Reception.  Got pulled out of line (a very long queue) to advance for check-in in a hot Miami day.

I do not think anyone who cruises for status is getting their money’s worth - as a financial return. 

But it is a nice perk for doing something I was going to do already. 

My MSC status is based on my Disney Cruise status. As a ROI for what those cruises cost, getting MSC VC perks is a reward - and just a drop in the bucket (or make it a larger container).

And there is also the intangible benefit of loyalty status. It is inherent in many humans. Recognition for something, anything. Getting to move forward.  Board the airplane / cruise ship first. Corporations manipulate this routinely - because it works. 

So, no, MSC VC is not worthless.  I enjoy a free steak dinner (and that 5% off cruise fare, thank you).  Will it make me cruise them more often?  No, that’s the low fares and getting an entire balcony cabin to myself for so much less than a Disney cruise (in a shared interior).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just off my first MSC Cruise aboard Seashore and did Status Match to Diamond.  I appreciated the Diamond line at Check-in, which saved me 20 minutes minimum.  There was also a very short line for Diamond/Gold/Silver at Guest Services (starting after we sailed) which was nice.  I received the bottle of Sparkling wine in my cabin on day 3, along with a chocolate ship and Macarons. The Specialty dinner in Butcher's Cut was the best part of dining on the ship and it was free.  Asked for and received the Robes and Slippers. Being in group 2 to disembark was also a benefit with a 10 am flight from MIA. There were plenty of perks for the Yacht Club folks but they paid 3x-5x what I did so they deserve that. Pleased with my perks but cruising with MSC was just not for me. 

• Like 4

I cruised with MSC for under 200 bucks for 4 days, inside cabin Bella. 

Got all the diamond perks. 
- speciality menu

- prosecco + macarons

- change of seating time and table (I asked nicely 🙂)

- late checkout 2h 

- bathrobe + slipper

- Aurea Spa 1h (but they don’t look on the watch so stay 3h if you want) 

- small gift + pin from voyagers club

- chocolate ship 

- priority boarding for tender boat in Cannes

- free picture taken while during the dinner (they sell it for 15€) at the photo desk

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Heather1972 said:

I’m gold on MSC, almost diamond. Don’t think the “perks” are worth it and I shouldn’t have to ask for my fruit or free gift (a bag). I would be happy to NOT have to ask for a flat sheet to sleep under or washcloths... ugh.  

The sheet issue is actually pretty interesting.  It is simply cultural.  A few months ago, we stayed in a very high-end Prague hotel and there was no top sheet.  They simply used a comforter which has a nice linen cover.   Another thing that is often missing in European hotels are wash cloths.  

Hank

• Like 1

On 9/25/2022 at 7:59 PM, Stockjock said:

What did you get for dinner on the tasting menu?  Were portions tiny?

For the first one I did Butchers Cut. I had the Beet and Burrata salad and it was delicious. I then had the Salmon over a Corn and Barley Risotto. It was tasty and a quite large portion. One issue I did have was that it wasn’t sockeye salmon like it said on the menu. I wasn’t worked up enough about to make a fuss though. Chocolate lava cake for dessert. The meal was good. I would’ve rather had the halibut but not enough to pay extra for it. 

For the second one I went with Hola! since we were in Spain, after all. It was ok. The food was a good quality and well prepared, it just wasn’t really what I usually like to eat. Of the tapas selection, the croquettas were the best, and I really liked them. I had the octopus for the main course. And the flan for dessert, which was really fantastic. Best I’ve ever had. It was kind of funny, they have chai tea on the menu, which seems kind of weird for a Spanish restaurant, but I love chai. So I asked for that at the end of the meal. The waiter kind of had a deer in the headlights look when I ordered that, which I thought was a bit odd, because his name tag said he was from India, so it’s not like he’s never heard of it before. Apparently no one’s ever ordered it before though. 😄 After about 15 minutes, I was wondering what was going on. A few minutes later he came out to tell me that they normally use teabags to make the chai and they didn’t have any on board, but the chef was also Indian and he was making me a pot of chai from scratch. How nice was that?? It came out in a glass tea pot with obvious large chunks of ginger and star anise and cinnamon sticks in it. It was fantastic. Really really delicious. We did laugh a little bit about the chai on a Spanish restaurant menu. He said they didn’t understand why it was there either. 🙂

• Like 3

I have studied the menus in depth and the top choice is the Butchers Cut Tasting Menu 😉 with the following options: 

- Bone Marrow (as starter = 14€)

- Lamb Chops (as main dish = 39€)

- Lava Cake (as dessert = 8€) 

=> 39€ tasting menu with single items worth of 61€

Each butcher's menu is served with fresh baked bread rolls.

Picture 1: Bone Marrow 

- very delicious and tasty

- even better than the 15€ one I have eaten at (Naše maso a 4.7/5 star butcher restaurant in prague)

- like snails some of my European friends say, how can you eat something like that. But I swear to you it is so delicious 😆 (it's the most delicious dish on the whole MSC fleet)

F1F426B1-6F99-48CC-87EC-73D7174002B6.jpeg

Picture 2: We picked 1 x lamb chops and 1 x filet mignon with spinach and jalapenos corn. The main dish comes with 4 sauces. You don't have to decide. They will just bring it automatically.

A4E85E17-BB5F-4BD3-AB7D-B70087A126E6.jpeg

Picture 3: The second time we ate at the butchers cut. We shared a menu as only 1 menu was free, because we had separate cabins. 

We ordered a lobster soup and an additional side dish and shared the 400g lam chops + the dessert. 

3C4ACE0B-E835-43DC-A340-5EF8F67EDD76.jpeg

Edited by Aeroplex
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I can't offer much.... We cruised YC on both our MSC cruises so basically had anything and received whatever we wanted.  However...like other lines...MSC has adjusted their pricing for Yacht Club and its now outside my comfort range. However I am glad I had the opportunity to try it out before the word got out what a bargain it was!! 

8 hours ago, MediumB said:

I status matched in as good and am curious about the $50/pp onboard credit. Should I see that in my booking or will that not be visible until I board?

You should be able to see it in your booking confirmation, not anywhere online. (IME)

Edited by carlmm

On 10/16/2022 at 3:17 PM, lcpagejr said:

I can't offer much.... We cruised YC on both our MSC cruises so basically had anything and received whatever we wanted.  However...like other lines...MSC has adjusted their pricing for Yacht Club and its now outside my comfort range. However I am glad I had the opportunity to try it out before the word got out what a bargain it was!! 

There is no doubt the prices have rocketed skyward in recent times! 😒

On 9/28/2022 at 9:18 PM, Aeroplex said:

I have studied the menus in depth and the top choice is the Butchers Cut Tasting Menu 😉 with the following options: 

- Bone Marrow (as starter = 14€)

- Lamb Chops (as main dish = 39€)

- Lava Cake (as dessert = 8€) 

=> 39€ tasting menu with single items worth of 61€

Each butcher's menu is served with fresh baked bread rolls.

Picture 1: Bone Marrow 

- very delicious and tasty

- even better than the 15€ one I have eaten at (Naše maso a 4.7/5 star butcher restaurant in prague)

- like snails some of my European friends say, how can you eat something like that. But I swear to you it is so delicious 😆 (it's the most delicious dish on the whole MSC fleet)

F1F426B1-6F99-48CC-87EC-73D7174002B6.jpeg

Picture 2: We picked 1 x lamb chops and 1 x filet mignon with spinach and jalapenos corn. The main dish comes with 4 sauces. You don't have to decide. They will just bring it automatically.

A4E85E17-BB5F-4BD3-AB7D-B70087A126E6.jpeg

Picture 3: The second time we ate at the butchers cut. We shared a menu as only 1 menu was free, because we had separate cabins. 

We ordered a lobster soup and an additional side dish and shared the 400g lam chops + the dessert. 

3C4ACE0B-E835-43DC-A340-5EF8F67EDD76.jpeg

D1296354-0F9A-47AB-928A-80A76B73924C.thumb.jpeg.926f8ae845c296afa58882616944e9d1.jpeg6B0C34DB-A1DB-4D33-953B-C24B4BB4521B.thumb.jpeg.c6eefb1e06ecac0be7b4cfec1289eeba.jpeg8806DEF7-47F6-49E3-A745-59F692353A35.thumb.jpeg.48d52fd0d8b78d3fe9c7581912b62f0c.jpeg

Diamond Perks 🙂

- priority check in saved 90 min waiting

- wonderful picture taken during Mediterranean Dinner

- no fruits (we took some from the buffet)

Edited by Aeroplex
  • Like 1

• 6 months later...