So, why is it even called "Norwegian" Cruise Line?

snoopysnake

If you are looking for a distinctly Norwegian cruise line, check out Viking.  Owned by a Norwegian family, with Scandinavian decor, art, history, etc on board.  Even a number of Norwegian food options at the small cafe onboard where the owner’s family recipes are served.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, foodsvcmgr said:

Although there are few if any Norwegian references left on NCL, I would respectfully disagree about the other lines mentioned.

Celebrity still has a preponderance of Greek officers.

Princess still has many Italian maitre d’s and an Italian speciality in the MDR nightly.

Holland America still has many Dutch officers, some ships feature a Royal Dutch Cafe and a few Dutch items show up in the MDR.

Yes, that is true about the officers on the various lines.

I was referring to the food offering on board.  HAL offerings are few and far between compared to the "old days" and many of the Dutch traditions that were observed on board ship are gone. An example for HAL is leaving of candy outside cabin doors on December 6, Saint Nicholas Day.

On my Celebrity cruise in February, I boarded the Constellation carrying a very old piece of luggage. It was so old that it still has the stick on luggage tag adhered to the side from my Chandris cruise in 1976.

I was walking passed a ship's officer who was a Greek old timer judging from his physical appearance. He glanced at the sticker, his eyes widened, and he stopped us to tell us that he had started in 1989 as a young seaman for Chandris for the Celebrity division (as opposed to Fantasy division).

Alas, the superb Greek that was always an option on board Chandris/Celebrity disappeared rapidly once the division was sold to Royal Caribbean.

As for the "Italian" specialty in a Princess MDR, it is  more akin to Fazio or Olive Garden than Italy.

1 hour ago, Karaboudjan said:

Do you have a source for that?  The only NCL connection to ocean liners that I can find is them buying and operating the France.  There was a Norwegian American Line but they appear to have been entirely unrelated to NCL/Norwegian Caribbean Line.

NCL was originally known as Norwegian Caribbean Line.  It never was an upscale ocean liner company.

We first cruised on the NCL Starward in 1978. We had already had several cruises under our belts and had come to expect a certain level of service and on board experience.

NCL fell so far short of the other lines we had cruised on (even then was cutting corners) that it took us 25 years to try the line again. Nope, still chinzy.

While it is true NCL did buy the old ocean liner France , renamed the Norway, as a trial to having larger ships in the market, the same lower market demographic still existed as it does today.

14 hours ago, Lakesregion said:

Many years ago NCL was an upscale ocean liner company operating under the Norwegian Flag. Over the years it slide way down in fashion and style. Only in the last few years have they tried to bring back some level of civilization to the uber casual aspects of the offerings.

Hmmmm…not familiar with that version of NCL.  First one I took was on the SS Norway (right before it exploded).  I don’t recall it being upscale.  And, that was an old ship when I sailed her, so she wasn’t focused much on fashion or style.

4 minutes ago, Homosassa said:

NCL was originally known as Norwegian Caribbean Line.  It never was an upscale ocean liner company.

We first cruised on the NCL Starward in 1978. We had already had several cruises under our belts and had come to expect a certain level of service and on board experience.

NCL fell so far short of the other lines we had cruised on (even then was cutting corners) that it took us 25 years to try the line again. Nope, still chinzy.

While it is true NCL did buy the old ocean liner France , renamed the Norway, as a trial to having larger ships in the market, the same lower market demographic still existed as it does today.

Lower market demographic?  Seriously?  Haven’t seen that on any of my NCL cruises, either.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

To further clarify my statements about the 1970s NCL experience, I should explain that NCL was rigid in handling passengers. One felt that cruise staff had imaginary cattle prods to use in directing the flow of traffic in the ship. Examples:

1. This was the days before buffets and other food options existed . The Dining Room was the only option and, as was common , there were two seatings for all meals.  Lunch however was "open." 

While one could go to the MDR for lunch any time during the open hours, one stood in line and you were lead single file to the table that was being filled and the table was filled from one end of a side to the other end before filling the other side from the far end.

This meant no sitting across from others in your party, no saving of seats for latecomers to your party.  No choice in the size of the table. 

2. When one left entertainment that was scheduled to be let out at a certain time, staff was waiting outside to "direct" you to where they wanted you to go. It felt like a chute into a slaughter house.

The rigidity in the NCL experience still exists today. While they have rebranded it as "Freestyle, eat and do what you want when you want," in reality passengers are scrambling to reserved times for meals and entertainment long before setting foot on board. 

How is that flexibility? 

1 hour ago, bookbabe said:

If you are looking for a distinctly Norwegian cruise line, check out Viking.  Owned by a Norwegian family, with Scandinavian decor, art, history, etc on board.  Even a number of Norwegian food options at the small cafe onboard where the owner’s family recipes are served.

Second that.

And a passenger will experience that on board experience that the Haven aspires to without being in a class ghetto.

20 hours ago, snoopysnake said:

Just had my first cruise on Norwegian (on the Pearl) and as someone with half-Norwegian ancestry, I was disappointed not to find ANYTHING on the ship connecting it to Norway.  I didn't really expect to, I just wanted to.  Imagine going to a bar called "O'Leary's Irish Pub" and not finding any Irish things in it?

Uff da!  Couldn't they have at least have some Norway decor somewhere on the ship?  Something Norwegian on the menus or in the gift shops?  If the line wants to have "separation of ship and Norway" then why do they keep the name?

Those of you who are veteran NCL cruisers, has this always been the case?  Was there ever any thing Norwegian to enjoy on board?

BTW, I have been on a cruise to Norway (2012, Vision of the Seas) and hope to return before I am too old!  (My Norwegian grandma lived to be 98, but still...)

On my first NCL cruise there was a "Norwegian Night" in the main dining room. There was a Norwegian item available in each menu category. I remember having something that came with fresh anchovies and being reluctant to try it, but liking it when I did. 

3 hours ago, Homosassa said:

I just got off the Norwegian Joy in a Haven Suite. Totally disagree with your assessment of the current NCL.

• Like 1