Bringing Instruments - Guitar for Example

Maleficent's Dad

22 hours ago, tetleytea said:

The kids and the instruments are happy noises.  And I'm usually not particularly trying to focus on anything on the ship (unless I'm actually the contestant on one of the cruise director's game shows).  I can deal.  The sadness comes when the covid comes and the noises are NOT there.

Trust me, a child learning to play the clarinet is not a "happy noise". Ask me how I know 🙂

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

25 minutes ago, KateQ22003 said:

Trust me, a child learning to play the clarinet is not a "happy noise". Ask me how I know 🙂

Because the sound of a child expanding her artistic culture through practice, an essential element to success, is more of a threat to your peace and quiet than it is a witness to your success as a nurturing parent?

Just spitballing here.  

3 hours ago, MotownVoice said:

Because the sound of a child expanding her artistic culture through practice, an essential element to success, is more of a threat to your peace and quiet than it is a witness to your success as a nurturing parent?

Just spitballing here.  

I can spitball too.

Would my procreation from 2am to 4am bother you as I attempt to continue the human race?😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

56 minutes ago, mscdivina2016 said:

I can spitball too.

Would my procreation from 2am to 4am bother you as I attempt to continue the human race?😁

No.  You’re forgetting, I’m not the one having a hemorrhage because of ambient noise on a luxury cruise. 

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, MotownVoice said:

Just spitballing here.  

Oh please! 

• Like 4

On 9/30/2022 at 7:51 AM, tetleytea said:

This conversation about noise and kids reminds me, this is one area where I have evolved as a human being.  I was a peace & quiet guy, but I married a woman who's at home with utter chaos.  She won.  I still need quiet if I'm studying--e.g. if I'm studying mathematical modelling of physical behaviors, I can't do the noise--but I've come to appreciate what I would categorize as happy sounds.  The squirrels and birds outside fighting over the bird feeder.   The dogs trying to feed on the squirrels.  The kids discussing how to beat the Nintendo.   And now, unfortunately, I'm dealing with all the sounds inside a nursing home, and they're not so good.  I've had hard times in my life where my business duties or marital situation meant that I came home to a dark house.  The dog's not barking because...well...the dog's no longer with us.

The kids and the instruments are happy noises.  And I'm usually not particularly trying to focus on anything on the ship (unless I'm actually the contestant on one of the cruise director's game shows).  I can deal.  The sadness comes when the covid comes and the noises are NOT there.

Hey, sounds like a rough stretch.  Keep getting on here and posting and interacting with us.  We're glad to hear your digital voice 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, KateQ22003 said:

13 hours ago, MotownVoice said:

Just spitballing here.  

Maybe KateQ22003 played the clarinet as a child, and was never happy about having to practice, therefore it was not a "happy noise"?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Cruising Lynne said:

Maybe KateQ22003 played the clarinet as a child, and was never happy about having to practice, therefore it was not a "happy noise"?

I actually considered that @KateQ22003was referring to her own past.  That said, I don't really know how a clarinet could be THAT bad.  Saxophone?  Maybe.  Our band director once suggested that the only thing worse than a saxophone might be two saxophones.  I played trumpet and was pretty good at it.  I could have been VERY good at it if I applied myself.  Story of my youth... 🤣

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Cruising Lynne said:

Actually I did, and I liked it but wasn't overly good at it. Anyone who has been around anyone learning to play a reed instrument knows about the horrible squeaking that can happen. With me, it happened a lot! Trust me, it's not a happy sound. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 4

39 minutes ago, KateQ22003 said:

Actually I did, and I liked it but wasn't overly good at it. Anyone who has been around anyone learning to play a reed instrument knows about the horrible squeaking that can happen. With me, it happened a lot! Trust me, it's not a happy sound. 

LOL!  I’ll add that applies to just about any instrument, including a singing voice.

Personally, as a kid I thought I was cool by doing “uncool” things.  Ergo, played accordion for 6-7 years while my friends were head banging to big hair bands.  I was pretty good at it.  But today, I sure wouldn’t want to be around 16-17 year old GG playing accordion.  NO matter how good I thought I was (and was in a zydeco band for a while),  I learned very quickly there’s truth behind the saying “different strokes for different folks”.

I certainly wouldn’t want to be around a 30-40-50+ year old playing a uke or guitar while singing believing they’re talented (a dubious claim).  Play for yourself by yourself?  Absolutely.  Assuming others want to hear/see you……that’s a fail!!!!!

Edited by graphicguy
  • Like 3

• 2 months later...

Maybe people just want to quietly practice their chords, notes, and scales in the privacy of their room. It’s very easy to play at a volume as to not offend all of your sensitive ears and refined  tastes. I don’t know what cruises just have random people inconsiderately jamming while walking up and down halls or in public places. Isn’t it just common sense to not disturb others? Why is it the assumption that people who play instruments want you to hear them play?
You know what I don’t want to hear? Loud drunk idiots thinking the contents of their conversation want to be heard by anyone. That seems to be a bigger problem than musical instruments being played at the dinner table. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

34 minutes ago, TedMcg said:

Maybe people just want to quietly practice their chords, notes, and scales in the privacy of their room. It’s very easy to play at a volume as to not offend all of your sensitive ears and refined  tastes. I don’t know what cruises just have random people inconsiderately jamming while walking up and down halls or in public places. Isn’t it just common sense to not disturb others? Why is it the assumption that people who play instruments want you to hear them play?
You know what I don’t want to hear? Loud drunk idiots thinking the contents of their conversation want to be heard by anyone. That seems to be a bigger problem than musical instruments being played at the dinner table. 

These work great....  https://amzn.to/3uRslNS

OP - My son has taken a full-sized acoustic guitar on several NCL cruises as a teenager/young adult.  We always made sure he played quietly and in private areas.  Never had a problem.  He is also a singer and actually won the karaoke contest on one of our cruises.     

A few years back I bought him a travel guitar (also called backpackers  - much smaller and quieter than full sized) for Christmas.  This guitar satisfies his need to play but is much easier to travel with.  It is always with him when he travels.

Hope you have an enjoyable cruise!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, iatag said:

OP - My son has taken a full-sized acoustic guitar on several NCL cruises as a teenager/young adult.  We always made sure he played quietly and in private areas.  Never had a problem.  He is also a singer and actually won the karaoke contest on one of our cruises.     

A few years back I bought him a travel guitar (also called backpackers  - much smaller and quieter than full sized) for Christmas.  This guitar satisfies his need to play but is much easier to travel with.  It is always with him when he travels.

Hope you have an enjoyable cruise!

You mean his DESIRE to play.

• Like 3

On 12/15/2022 at 12:54 PM, TedMcg said:

The problem is, she craves attention… Trust me when I say that she doesn’t want the privacy of her room to practice.  (Good for your son, though!).  What I envision is her pulling out her guitar back in Spice H2O and starting to strum and sing.  Maybe even trying the atrium for an audience.  That’s her personality.  While it works in some venues, I don’t see it as appropriate behavior on board a ship that has a plethora of paid professional musicians. I guess we’ll see.  Hopefully I am wrong!!

There have been some great (and rather interesting) responses here.  Thanks all for your input!

• Like 3

I often would ask for a time where I could use a piano and was granted one. One time a bar worker unplugged a piano I was using (it was a digital electric) and I politely called the front desk and explained I would cancel my next two cruises if it wasnt plugged in. Problem solved.

• Haha 1

I would be all for someone bringing a guitar/keyboard. When you are a successful musician, it is important to not go a week without playing, also is something really important to  you.

I mean, there are always people that like going on cruises just to have something to complain about, maybe its jealousy or whatever.

Someone on the balcony next to me had to practice some choral arrangements, I said go for it- I understood how important music was to them.

On 9/25/2022 at 3:02 PM, MoCruiseFan said:

That would totally ruin the whole Haven experience.  The sad cat is that a vast majority of people who play actually think they are a LOT better than they really are.

I am sure it would TOTALLY ruin someones cruise. I mean, they would probably have to call their butler about it.

• Haha 1