Is early carryon/luggage drop-off for Platinum/Diamond no longer allowed?

ZoeyVictoria

54 minutes ago, ZoeyVictoria said:

We just boarded the Liberty (evacuating from Ian) and were confronted by a very angry, very rude steward when we tried to drop off our luggage in the closet prior to 1:30.  Is that no longer allowed?

On my last Carnival cruise in February I received an email explaining the status of and how to receive Plat/Diamond benefits. 

For stateroom access it said:

"Due to enhanced cleaning and sanitation, staterooms may not be ready at the time of boarding for the early Arrival Appointments.   If you have not checked your bags, feel free to quickly drop off your luggage while our crew puts the finishing touches on your stateroom.  This will allow you to complete your e-mustering process and start your vacation promptly."

Not sure if they're still sending that email, but if you received it and the steward acted as you said, I'd be complaining at Guest Services.  Whether it's a communication problem (very frequent on Carnival) where the crew don't know what Corporate is telling passengers, or a conduct issue with this steward, someone higher up on the ship (Hotel Director?) needs to know if the result is a crewmember chewing out a guest for something Carnival told them was okay.

Edited by DallasGuy75219
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, ZoeyVictoria said:

We just boarded the Liberty (evacuating from Ian) and were confronted by a very angry, very rude steward when we tried to drop off our luggage in the closet prior to 1:30.  Is that no longer allowed?

You can drop your baggage off in the cabin prior to the cabin being ready. Very rude of that person. Probably had a bad morning. 

Per John Heald, Diamonds and Plats are permitted to drop off their bags. They don't want you doing anymore more than that until after the announcement is made at 1:30 pm that cabins can be accessed. That room steward was just plain wrong. 

We've had two cruises post Covid and one let us in, one was not familiar with the option for us. We were not given a letter at check-in and the person at that desk told us our cabin was ready.
 When we got to the doors we were turned away. I explained what we were told, what we were accustomed, and he let us through.
 Appreciate that on embarkation almost everyone is pressed into service to handle the rush. Some are relatively new to Carnival and to the industry.
 The second time we had zero problems, dropped luggage and had lunch by 11:30AM. Both cruises were from here in Galveston.

I just received the email on Saturday at 11:01 PM, so unless there has been a change in the last 38 hours you shouldn't have had any problems.

funships@carnivalcruiselineemail.com   Sat, Sep 24 at 11:01 PM

Dear Valued Platinum and Diamond Guests,

This communication is being sent to our booked Platinum and Diamond guests.  It is independent from any request our guests might have pending for an exemption to vaccine requirements, and the receipt of this communication is not any indication of the status of your request.

STATEROOM ACCESS – Due to enhanced cleaning and sanitation, staterooms may not be ready at the time of boarding for the early Arrival Appointments.   If you have not checked your bags, feel free to quickly drop off your luggage while our crew puts the finishing touches on your stateroom.  This will allow you to complete your e-mustering process and start your vacation promptly.

Edited by Old Fart Cruisers

Thank you, that is what I thought.  First time I have ever had a problem and the only rude room steward ever, in 79 cruises.  There was another steward who was nice and tried to help without (further) angering the rude one.  He offered to let us leave luggage in the hallway and put it in the room for us.  We declined, put it into the closet while the rude one was yelling that he needed to wipe out the closet, and got out of there.  Hope the nice one is our steward!

While we were waiting to get into the cabin at 1:30, we went to the welcome aboard show and won the raffle for the $180 bottle of champagne!

• Like 2

The key word is "quickly" - don't linger in your room.  They still have work to do.  Having said that, no need for rudeness from the steward.  Like someone else said, he/she may have just been having a bad day.  We've all been there.  Hope you enjoyed your cruise despite it.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Iluvmykindle said:

We had the same problem on the Liberty a couple of weeks ago.  There was a woman in the area between the elevators and the closed hallway doors who said we could not go to our room to drop of a bag.  We are Diamond.  This was on deck 9.

They were very aggressive about telling everyone stepping onto the ship that they were required to go to muster before eating lunch. There was another person asking people leaving the elevator on 9 if they had mustered and telling them to go back down to 4 before they could enter the Lido. 

The nice guy is out steward.  He apologizes for his helper.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, ZoeyVictoria said:

The nice guy is out steward.  He apologizes for his helper.

I don’t think many stewards would be outright rude when part of their income comes from tips/gratuities.

add: congratulations on winning the primo champagne.

Edited by mondello
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Don Kehote said:

Friendly reminder that telling you something you don't want to hear/don't like does NOT equal Rude.  

If he had been telling me I won the lottery in the tone of voice he was using while almost shouting,  it would still have been rude.  

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...

I've been on four cruises since the restart and have always been able to drop off my carry-ons. Usually the room isn't ready so it is just a quick drop off then off to self muster and lunch.  Once, even though the room wasn't ready the cabin steward found our keys so we already had them when opened the doors at 1:30.  I'm cruising again on the Breeze in 19 days and I will definitely drop off my luggage prior to lunch. 

I was told off by a worker in the hallway on my last Carnival cruise (pre Covid). I explained that I was Platinum and that I was just dropping off luggage. He said it wasn't allowed and I ignored him. No way was I going to have my elderly parents haul their luggage up to the lido deck when they didn't have to.

18 minutes ago, johnboy036 said:

I've been on four cruises since the restart and have always been able to drop off my carry-ons. Usually the room isn't ready so it is just a quick drop off then off to self muster and lunch.  Once, even though the room wasn't ready the cabin steward found our keys so we already had them when opened the doors at 1:30.  I'm cruising again on the Breeze in 19 days and I will definitely drop off my luggage prior to lunch. 

Same here - we just usually get an e-mail by now.  Oh well!

Could be he had a few reds and golds trying to sneak their bags into their cabins before you showed up and telling the guy they were platinum (I've seen a few on here bragging about getting away with it). You might have been the tipping point and he didn't care what you told him after chasing away a few that shouldn't have been there. Still no reason for any rudeness, but unless he had a bad day before his shift started I can't think of any other reason for him to act that way. 

• Like 1

On 9/26/2022 at 12:39 PM, ZoeyVictoria said:

80+ cruises and never had a problem on any ship or any cruise line. If I see a room steward I always ask first if he will be ours. I have opend up those very heavy water tight doors. Went to the cabin and dropped off the luggage then just left. Never were we ever told we cound not do that.