Never doubt a minimum bid!

klfhngr

1 hour ago, Jerseygirl1416 said:

First I want to say I’m glad you’re happy with your upgrade. I am though wondering if we’re looking at the pricing of these Royal Up bids right? I’d think to see if you got a good deal you’d have to compare the cost of the category on the day you purchased your cruise and not on the cost of the category right before sailing because that’s usually a very inflated price. I know when I book a balcony or a spacious ocean view balcony for a 7 day September/October cruise 10-12 months out I usually pay around $1500-$1800. I’d be interested in someone noting the category prices when they book and then the cost with the Royal Up bid. 

The balcony for our sailing was always at about 2500 for two and above. That's why we opted for the Promenade view, also being that we just got back from our May cruise. For us, the price we paid for the Royal Up bid was a steal!

• Like 1

All these success stories with minimum bids...... after a good business  month I thought I would surprise the family and put in two maximum bids for our cruise in May and lost both.

The upgrade fairy has never visited either...... I'm getting a complex 😀

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Tin can said:

All these success stories with minimum bids...... after a good business  month I thought I would surprise the family and put in two maximum bids for our cruise in May and lost both.

The upgrade fairy has never visited either...... I'm getting a complex 😀

Out of 20 cruises, we've won 1 and been upgraded once. That's about it, lol! I never believed in the fairy!

2 minutes ago, klfhngr said:

Out of 20 cruises, we've won 1 and been upgraded once. That's about it, lol! I never believed in the fairy!

I pretty much gave up on the fairy 😀 but from reading the posts here it seems there may still be a bit of luck required  with RoyalUp.

I've no chance, I  can't even pay top dollar for my upgrade 😂

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Tin can said:

I pretty much gave up on the fairy 😀 but from reading the posts here it seems there may still be a bit of luck required  with RoyalUp.

I've no chance, I  can't even pay top dollar for my upgrade 😂

Now that the ships are sailing pretty full again, there is more luck involved.  In fact, it may not only be your good luck in having your bid selected but also sometimes another party’s bad luck caused them to cancel, bring their cabin up for bidding.

I’m in a balcony on my upcoming cruise.  All the JS and suites have been booked for quite a while.  A JS and GS made brief appearances, perhaps due to cancellations, but suite availability looked minimal for weeks. My odds of RoyalUp bid acceptance are low, though a cancellation is always possible so so leave the bids in place.

1 hour ago, Starry Eyes said:

Now that the ships are sailing pretty full again, there is more luck involved.  In fact, it may not only be your good luck in having your bid selected but also sometimes another party’s bad luck caused them to cancel, bring their cabin up for bidding.

I’m in a balcony on my upcoming cruise.  All the JS and suites have been booked for quite a while.  A JS and GS made brief appearances, perhaps due to cancellations, but suite availability looked minimal for weeks. My odds of RoyalUp bid acceptance are low, though a cancellation is always possible so so leave the bids in place.

I think you are right, my two maximum lost bids were on a GS from a JS. If my maximum bid wasn't accepted I can only think that it wasn't the only maximum bid received or they had been all sold.

15 hours ago, Tin can said:

I think you are right, my two maximum lost bids were on a GS from a JS. If my maximum bid wasn't accepted I can only think that it wasn't the only maximum bid received or they had been all sold.

Quite possible.  Nobody knows how Plusgrade determines bidding ranges.  I recall a poster a few months ago whose max bid for JS to GS was startlingly low; that poster likely had plenty of company at max bid.  I would think they would have a very high max bid, leaving room for the big spender who really wants the cabin if it opens up.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Starry Eyes said:

Nobody knows how Plusgrade determines bidding ranges.

This is pretty much the answer to all things RoyalUp- related. No one has their CIA level algorithm. Any reports of past results are anecdotal.

• Like 1

Going way back to the days when the UPGRADE FAIRY would magically upgrade first time cruisers from an interior cabin to a suite, while past passengers enjoyed what staterooms they initially booked, Is it random or some actuarial complex equation? 

Ladys and gentlemen, place your bets. Round and round she goes, where she stops, nobody knows.