Book by date (for Flexible Cancellation)

aprilsp88

Hi,

In order to qualify for "Flexible Cancellation", one needs to "Book a cruise by September 30, 2022". I called HAL, the agent said it's the initial booking creation date, not the final payment date.

Just want to get your suggestion and experience, what's "book by"? The initial reservation creation date? Or the (final) payment received date?

Thanks,

April

Ok, let me get this straight.

The terms state "Book a cruise by September 30, 2022".

You called HAL and the agent stated that it is the initial booking date that matters.

Maybe there is a bit of a clue there......?😉

Final payment date is not the date you book a cruise, it is the day you make the reservation and receive the Booking Confirmation.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Booking date is determined by initial deposit. Check the invoice of any cruise you have ever booked.

It is also the date recognized by  third-party travel insurance to determine eligibility for time-sensitive benefits such as CFAR and financial default as well as the pre-existing conditions waiver; however, there are policies that will grant the waiver at final payment.

• Thanks 1

Did you put this booking on hold?  If so, you may have to make the deposit by Sept 30th or lose the booking.  I put. a January booking on hold on Sunday (to reserve my stateroom) and called my PC on Monday to make some changes and make the deposit.  I had until Sept 30 to pay the deposit or lose the booking.  The final payment for me is not until November.

10 minutes ago, aprilsp88 said:

Thank you all for the reply. One clarification, I haven't make any deposit ($0 on the booking, but it's already created), I will pay in full when I pay final payment. Does this make any difference?

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, oaktreerb said:

Did you put this booking on hold?  If so, you may have to make the deposit by Sept 30th or lose the booking.  I put. a January booking on hold on Sunday (to reserve my stateroom) and called my PC on Monday to make some changes and make the deposit.  I had until Sept 30 to pay the deposit or lose the booking.  The final payment for me is not until November.

Yes I put this booking on hold, but I don't have to make payment until next week.

• Like 1

It is not officially booked until the cruise line has received payment - whether a deposit or full payment if it is booked after the final payment date. If you want to take advantage of the flexible booking policy, the cruise has to be officially booked, not just on hold.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Babr said:

It is not officially booked until the cruise line has received payment - whether a deposit or full payment if it is booked after the final payment date. If you want to take advantage of the flexible booking policy, the cruise has to be officially booked, not just on hold.

Thanks for the clear explanation. It's a safe just to pay now. Inquiring mind just wonder, the email HAL sent says "Booking confirmation", and the pdf attachment also have "booking confirmation" as title, does this make any difference?

4 hours ago, aprilsp88 said:

Thanks for the clear explanation. It's a safe just to pay now. Inquiring mind just wonder, the email HAL sent says "Booking confirmation", and the pdf attachment also have "booking confirmation" as title, does this make any difference?

To be booked you simply need to make the necessary deposit. The flexible cancellation policy ends December 31 so I assume your sailing is before then.  

14 minutes ago, highscar said:

I booked a January cruise with deposit over a year ago. Payment due  October with no date.    Will HAL notify me when to pay?  

Who did you book with? A TA? Most TAs will remind you. Many TAs will process payments a little early to avoid late payments. 

5 hours ago, Mary229 said:

To be booked you simply need to make the necessary deposit. The flexible cancellation policy ends December 31 so I assume your sailing is before then.  

Yes embarkation is before that, but disembarkation after that.

5 hours ago, highscar said:

I booked a January cruise with deposit over a year ago. Payment due  October with no date.    Will HAL notify me when to pay?  

Did you keep your confirmation e-mail? Final Payment should be in it. My January 7 sailing has a Final Payment date of October 9; I guess that is 90-days...