Ship Not Moving… New York

js

9 minutes ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

Is she empty?

Yes she is.  She was making her way to Port Canaveral for a 9 night leaving on Thursday but we all just got the email that NCL cancelled the whole cruise.  A lot of us thought they might just make it a 7 night and leave Saturday.  A lot of people scrambled with new flights or long haul drives to make it down here before the storm hits.

I was wondering why Getaway stopped in her tracks in the Narrows just before the Verrazzano Bridge .... she arrived in MCT (New York) at 7 am this morning, departed at 12:30 pm to sail with crew only (no passengers) to Port Canaveral but after an hour's sailing she stopped in the harbour at 1:30 pm.

Sad that the above happened, but no dice for Getaway and her passengers to be able to sail out of Port Canaveral where the airports close to PC are going to be closed. Also, according to Windy the seas on both sides of Florida are expected to be very choppy (20-30 ft) on Thursday afternoon/evening. No chance.

Now, it's a wait and see where Getaway will spend the 9 days before her next cruise out of PC on Oct 8th.

Bermuda has a free berth after 5pm tomorrow until Sunday 8am ..... 

3 minutes ago, schmoopie17 said:

September 22. New York to Bermuda.

This cruise was diverted to Canada due to the Hurricane Fiona. It was a 5 day cruise and today is their debarkation date. The Getaway no longer has any more New York cruises this year. 

The 9/22 Cruise was SUPPOSED to be to Bermuda.  Because of Fiona there was an alternate schedule of Newport, Portland and St. John’s.  The ship disembarked this morning and was deadheading to Port Canaveral.  With Ian they were unsure if that was going to happen.  The Maitre’d in The Haven this morning told me that they were still going to PC after they had a managers meeting last night.  Being back home and nowhere NEAR the ship I just reported what I knew at the time!

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

Is she empty?

Yes, we just got off the ship this morning. The crew was looking forward to an empty ship and two days off.  I asked at breakfast this morning if they were still going to Florida due to the hurricane and the crew said they had not heard anything different.  

I was on the 5:45PM Staten Island ferry heading from lower Manhattan to Staten Island and it was a traffic jam in the harbor with the QE2 aircraft carrier (and security cordon), the inbound Getaway, and a huge container vessel.

I was scratching my head wondering what the empty Getaway was doing inbound this late in the day.

Looks like cruise critic solved the mystery!

IMG_3909.jpg

• Like 1