Britannia.

Funboy

Free at last! Tested negative this morning so free after 6 days of isolation. Various things to take up with P&O later. Latest news is that the captain has announced a large increase in covid on board and masks must now be worn in all public areas! Better late than never and hopefully it may have been done partly because of our actions. It may make cruising a little safer if people take notice.

• Like 8

5 minutes ago, Funboy said:

Latest is a circular from the Director of Health services, Carnival U K. To say masks must be worn at all times due to large numbers of new cases.

Not going too well with this new no testing or masks then.  Ventura also under compulsory mask mandate. Interesting its come from ashore rather than onboard.  

3 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

Not going too well with this new no testing or masks then.  Ventura also under compulsory mask mandate. Interesting its come from ashore rather than onboard.  

That was the latest news. Earlier the Captain made the announcement. I am aware the new rule came in after we complained to the Dr that many people were walking around with the same cough I had. There wer even two people in the shop stood next to us who could not talk for coughing. Whilst P&O will never admit to any numbers I guess they are significant..

Presumably it is now going to impact staff and service levels as well which doesn't augur well with only a couple of weeks left in Europe before the transatlantic to the Caribbean.

Interesting they took action after a customer complaint.  

8 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

Presumably it is now going to impact staff and service levels as well which doesn't augur well with only a couple of weeks left in Europe before the transatlantic to the Caribbean.

Interesting they took action after a customer complaint.  

I don’t think it was just a complaint to be honest. Just around the ship it was obvious there were a lot of cases . It was just that now they have opened their ears instead of ignoring it.

So, what is the answer ?

Personally,  I cannot see the point of compulsory mask wearing whilst walking down a corridor, sitting in the atrium  etc, when you can sit and eat and drink with other passengers with no masks needed at all. Plus, going ashore, no one will be masked in the local bars, museums, shops etc,  so why bother.?

At the very least get back to testing immediately prior to boarding.  By so doing, you will start each cruise with a relatively clean slate.

• Like 5

28 minutes ago, wowzz said:

So, what is the answer ?

Personally,  I cannot see the point of compulsory mask wearing whilst walking down a corridor, sitting in the atrium  etc, when you can sit and eat and drink with other passengers with no masks needed at all. Plus, going ashore, no one will be masked in the local bars, museums, shops etc,  so why bother.?

At the very least get back to testing immediately prior to boarding.  By so doing, you will start each cruise with a relatively clean slate.

We board on Sunday. If we need to wear masks, so be it. 2 cruises so far this year. Life needs to go on with the acceptance that you may catch something and just hope it's fairly mild. If folk aren't prepared to accept that ,there is an obvious solution.🤔

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, zap99 said:

I agree, but if those are the rules when we board, we will go along with it. If it makes some folk more comfortable,  OK, but perhaps they shouldn't be there if they are that worried.

So what do we do? We booked at the time because of the fcc rules. Now they've moved the goalposts, after final balance due, and we're stuffed. Either get on board or lose the full fare. Not much choice really.

Personally I know there is some risk, but I was happy when I booked knowing people were having to test before boarding and mask wearing was compulsory. That's what I signed up to. 

Now we'll do our little bit by wearing masks, even if it is not mandatory, though I doubt many others will.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Trevor Fountain said:

So what do we do? We booked at the time because of the fcc rules. Now they've moved the goalposts, after final balance due, and we're stuffed. Either get on board or lose the full fare. Not much choice really.

Personally I know there is some risk, but I was happy when I booked knowing people were having to test before boarding and mask wearing was compulsory. That's what I signed up to. 

Now we'll do our little bit by wearing masks, even if it is not mandatory, though I doubt many others will.

I really do not understand what your complaint is, the world is changing daily regarding rules, pando are only reacting to what the situation is at any given moment from around the world to which countries they visit.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Bazrat said:

I really do not understand what your complaint is, the world is changing daily regarding rules, pando are only reacting to what the situation is at any given moment from around the world to which countries they visit.

I don’t think it was a complaint more an observation.   Undoubtedly large numbers are now getting unwell, be it mild or in some unfortunate cases worse.  I think the observation is that it's a different ballgame to when the decision was made to cruise and money was parted with.  At that point it was relatively easy to understand - everyone was full vaccinated, took a test and wore a mask in public areas.  If you were unwell in the 10 days before travel or a close contact you and your party would not be able to travel but wouldn't lose your holiday as a full FCC meant you could take it later without financial loss.  If you became unwell during your holiday you were quarantined but again received FCC to put towards another holiday where hopefully you would not get unwell again.

Now it's a lottery.  Yes, everyone is still vaccinated but no one is required to test at any point and it appears virtually no one wears a mask - they are of course at total liberty to do so, nothing wrong in that.   FCC has been done away with so faced with answering a medical questionnaire passengers are in a personal dilemma, do I admit I've had a bit of a cough and know I will be refused boarding or do I just tick yes and go.  If they choose the honest option the P&O algorithm says you're not coming on, no debate no chance to speak to someone medically trained, computer says no. 

The person then has to enter the muddy waters of an insurance claim to retrieve and rescue their holiday costs.  This can amount to thousands of pounds - let's use the cost of my December holiday as an example £8,200 in cruise fare, flight upgrade and seat selection.  The person most likely will have an excess on their policy, generally £75 on the top selling one.  The seat selection cost is not covered in the policy so unless P&O treats it as a refundable extra in the same way as an excursion it will be lost. So for 2 passengers we are looking already at a loss of £152 for seats and £150 policy excess.   

To add to all this palaver you actually have to prove to your insurer you really had or have covid in that 10 days.  Most policies' wording state your proof is a PCR test, you however can't get one on the NHS because UK government policy says they aren't necessary.  So you start to look at the private sector, oh dear my nearest one is 50 miles away,  they cost around £50 and won't test you if you have symptoms so I'd better buy a postal one, oh dear none in stock so it will be a day to get it then you post it and 48 hours later you'll get a result.  Ahh Mrs C you say you had the symptoms a few days back but feel totally well now? We can't guarantee a positive result then.  

Sure enough there's no positive result so back to the insurer.  Sorry Mrs C you have no provable claim I'm afraid so we have no obligation to pay you. Sorry, goodbye and I'm  now standing saying a very expensive goodbye to my £8,200!!!

If however I'd booked a nice all inclusive 2 weeks on the beach in Barbados there would have been no medical questionnaire, no test and I'd be enjoying the beach without a care in the world and eating Christmas Dinner in 30 degrees!

Let's leave quarantine for another day, I'm sure we will be hearing a great deal more from the unfortunates on that one!

In a nutshell we are being asked to play Russian roulette with our money as the cruise lines clearly have just made another blanket decision apparently without consulting and checking with the insurance industry how they will react and apply these new rules - at least that's what my insurers are telling me.

• Like 10

10 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

I don’t think it was a complaint more an observation.   Undoubtedly large numbers are now getting unwell, be it mild or in some unfortunate cases worse.  I think the observation is that it's a different ballgame to when the decision was made to cruise and money was parted with.  At that point it was relatively easy to understand - everyone was full vaccinated, took a test and wore a mask in public areas.  If you were unwell in the 10 days before travel or a close contact you and your party would not be able to travel but wouldn't lose your holiday as a full FCC meant you could take it later without financial loss.  If you became unwell during your holiday you were quarantined but again received FCC to put towards another holiday where hopefully you would not get unwell again.

Now it's a lottery.  Yes, everyone is still vaccinated but no one is required to test at any point and it appears virtually no one wears a mask - they are of course at total liberty to do so, nothing wrong in that.   FCC has been done away with so faced with answering a medical questionnaire passengers are in a personal dilemma, do I admit I've had a bit of a cough and know I will be refused boarding or do I just tick yes and go.  If they choose the honest option the P&O algorithm says you're not coming on, no debate no chance to speak to someone medically trained, computer says no. 

The person then has to enter the muddy waters of an insurance claim to retrieve and rescue their holiday costs.  This can amount to thousands of pounds - let's use the cost of my December holiday as an example £8,200 in cruise fare, flight upgrade and seat selection.  The person most likely will have an excess on their policy, generally £75 on the top selling one.  The seat selection cost is not covered in the policy so unless P&O treats it as a refundable extra in the same way as an excursion it will be lost. So for 2 passengers we are looking already at a loss of £152 for seats and £150 policy excess.   

To add to all this palaver you actually have to prove to your insurer you really had or have covid in that 10 days.  Most policies' wording state your proof is a PCR test, you however can't get one on the NHS because UK government policy says they aren't necessary.  So you start to look at the private sector, oh dear my nearest one is 50 miles away,  they cost around £50 and won't test you if you have symptoms so I'd better buy a postal one, oh dear none in stock so it will be a day to get it then you post it and 48 hours later you'll get a result.  Ahh Mrs C you say you had the symptoms a few days back but feel totally well now? We can't guarantee a positive result then.  

Sure enough there's no positive result so back to the insurer.  Sorry Mrs C you have no provable claim I'm afraid so we have no obligation to pay you. Sorry, goodbye and I'm  now standing saying a very expensive goodbye to my £8,200!!!

If however I'd booked a nice all inclusive 2 weeks on the beach in Barbados there would have been no medical questionnaire, no test and I'd be enjoying the beach without a care in the world and eating Christmas Dinner in 30 degrees!

Let's leave quarantine for another day, I'm sure we will be hearing a great deal more from the unfortunates on that one!

In a nutshell we are being asked to play Russian roulette with our money as the cruise lines clearly have just made another blanket decision apparently without consulting and checking with the insurance industry how they will react and apply these new rules - at least that's what my insurers are telling me.

Exactly that Megabear. I could not have put it better myself.

4 minutes ago, Neecy1 said:

We're on Iona in 6 weeks and I'm a bit concerned they'll change the goalposts last minute and ask for a witnessed pcr/lft days before again. Is it worth ordering a couple do you think. Any suggestions who to order from? 

I probably wouldn't panic on that score, and if it does happen at short notice you could even get a next day in person test (Manchester). https://man.randox.com/#ardp

8 hours ago, zap99 said:

We board on Sunday. If we need to wear masks, so be it. 2 cruises so far this year. Life needs to go on with the acceptance that you may catch something and just hope it's fairly mild. If folk aren't prepared to accept that ,there is an obvious solution.🤔

8 hours ago, zap99 said:

It does not matter mild or not. If you get it on a cruise you are shut in your cabin for at least 6 days before they will even test you. From our current experience of a totally ruined holiday we will not be cruising again in the foreseeable future.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, jaydee6969 said:

Wow, not a nice response.

There's nothing nice about catching covid from someone who knows they are infected but not isolating when on board a ship, where transmission is probably more likely than in open air.

Though I understand why people are now even more reluctant to report it given what has been discussed earlier in this thread.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, wowzz said:

So, what is the answer ?

As it takes four or five days from infection to showing up on a test, that is by and large useless. Adds more stress and cost. Didn't work in July on Arcadia. That's why it was dropped.

Edited by FangedRose

5 minutes ago, Trevor Fountain said:

There's nothing nice about catching covid from someone who knows they are infected but not isolating when on board a ship, where transmission is probably more likely than in open air.

Though I understand why people are now even more reluctant to report it given what has been discussed earlier in this thread.

Having caught covid whilst on a cruise, I know.  No need for wishing ill on other members of the forum!  (not you, but the original poster)

Edited by jaydee6969

55 minutes ago, Funboy said:

If the latter part of your post is what you believe then you are wrong. It was because of people who ignored the rules and couldn’t give a damn that we have had a whole holiday ruined with no compensation  for the £3000plus cost.It is a totally selfish attitude.You must be fairly well off to risk losing the cost of the holiday AND being prepared to be shut in a box with no contact other than a steward and a phone call daily.I cannot emphasise how angry I am at this type of attitude. Can you show me ANY source that says masks are useless. In an empty corridor the vapour from breath is in the air for a considerable time after a person has passed.

Ooh, get you and your daily phone call! I got one in six days! Arcadia, July.

6 minutes ago, zap99 said:

If I only have mild symptoms, no reason to test is there. Do I test now every time I get a bit of a cold?.

That's your choice. At the time I booked the cruise I'm going on this Sunday the rules clearly stated a test (which had to be certified) was to be taken before departure. This, coupled with the option of a fcc was part of my own risk assessment before booking with some degree of confidence.

I think it was you who said if people are worried, they shouldn't go. Well I for one don't fancy throwing away over 4k, but given the choice I wouldn't be travelling on Sunday.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Trevor Fountain said:

That's your choice. At the time I booked the cruise I'm going on this Sunday the rules clearly stated a test (which had to be certified) was to be taken before departure. This, coupled with the option of a fcc was part of my own risk assessment before booking with some degree of confidence.

I think it was you who said if people are worried, they shouldn't go. Well I for one don't fancy throwing away over 4k, but given the choice I wouldn't be travelling on Sunday.

Same here, when we booked those were the rules. Over the next day or so we will test ourselves. Once on the ship there is no need unless we feel it is necessary. If we develop a bit of a cough ...I would predict a good many folk will develop one as well.

• Like 2

Yet again the observations in my mind complaints about what changed since you booked your cruises, we are still in the middle of a pandemic it is not the cruiselines fault that we are still in the middle of it, those who booked there cruises in the belief that world would be back to normal by now, seam to getting there information from completely the wrong places.