A couple of quick questions before we board the Pacific Encounter

Sparky74

On 9/30/2022 at 6:54 PM, NSWP said:

Formal night on P and O Straya, shorts, t shirts and thongs? Lol. Bogansville on the sea, lol.

Actually, from our recent experience P&O has a better class of ship, better food, and better service than Carnival.Ā 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Aus Traveller said:

Why not? Good question. But it is a fact. P&O UK is a notch above P&O Aust.

More than a notch. P&O UK follow British cruising traditions, dress standards are pretty close to Cunard's. On formal nights if no jacket and tie, you are tipped out of some bars and lounges, i.e. Crows Nest. Tuxedos abound.Ā  Kippers for breakfast. You often see ship's officers dining in the MDR's and they are personable. Most service crew are Indian.Ā  Some great curries.Ā  Ā For comparison I have done half a dozen cruises on P&O, Arcadia, Aurora and Oriana and a couple of P&O Australia, Pacific Sun and Pacific Dawn. Like chalk and cheese.

Edited by NSWP

59 minutes ago, NSWP said:

More than a notch. P&O UK follow British cruising traditions, dress standards are pretty close to Cunard's. On formal nights if no jacket and tie, you are tipped out of some bars and lounges, i.e. Crows Nest. Tuxedos abound.Ā  Kippers for breakfast. You often see ship's officers dining in the MDR's and they are personable. Most service crew are Indian.Ā  Some great curries.Ā  Ā For comparison I have done half a dozen cruises on P&O, Arcadia, Aurora and Oriana and a couple of P&O Australia, Pacific Sun and Pacific Dawn. Like chalk and cheese.

I was trying to be polite when I said P&O UK was 'a notch' above P&O Aust.Ā  šŸ˜

• Haha 1

Whilst P&O Australia has positioned themselves as an entry level cruise line, from our recent experience they have risen in my estimation. I take back what Iā€™ve previously said about it standing for Poor & 'Orrible.Ā 

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

I was trying to be polite when I said P&O UK was 'a notch' above P&O Aust.Ā  šŸ˜

Dare I say it, P&O UK compares well with Princess Cruises.Ā  Just more formal and more British cuisine, kippers, pork pies, Brit beers. Real English bacon not that nuked, cremated streaky American stuff.Ā 

Ā 

On board currency is the GBP, but drink prices are reasonable all the same, but been about 5 years since last P&O UK cruises. I believe like Princess here,Ā  on board gratuities are 'rolled into fare.Ā 

Edited by NSWP

33 minutes ago, Sparky74 said:

Whilst P&O Australia has positioned themselves as an entry level cruise line, from our recent experience they have risen in my estimation. I take back what Iā€™ve previously said about it standing for Poor & 'Orrible.Ā 

Agreed. On our recently cruise on the Pacific Encounter, we felt P&O has moved up-market a bit compared with pre-COVID cruises.

• Like 3

59 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

Agreed. On our recently cruise on the Pacific Encounter, we felt P&O has moved up-market a bit compared with pre-COVID cruises.

Good to hear, might give them another go, any kippers for brekkie?

Ā 

140267_1.jpg

Just now, NSWP said:

Good to hear, might give them another go, any kippers for brekkie?

Ā 

140267_1.jpg

I don't believe they offered kippers for breakfast. šŸ˜ Other than that omission, the food was very good, the staff were attentive and the wine was $10 a bottle less than on Princess.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, NSWP said:

Agree. Seems a pity to call them both P&O. Ā I don't cruise with them when I'm in the UK because they make you book through P&O Aust, at higher rates. Ā I cruised on P&O Chusan on my first cruise and enjoyed it. Ā  I now book direct on small ships or Fred.Olsen and Hurtigruten. Ā 

3 hours ago, MMDown Under said:

Agree. Seems a pity to call them both P&O. Ā I don't cruise with them when I'm in the UK because they make you book through P&O Aust, at higher rates. Ā I cruised on P&O Chusan on my first cruise and enjoyed it. Ā  I now book direct on small ships or Fred.Olsen and Hurtigruten. Ā 

I booked our P&O UK cruises via an Aussie on line T/A.Ā  As you say you cannot book direct with P&O UK from OZ, but through TA or P&O Australia. I found the pricing competitive.

21 hours ago, NSWP said:

I booked our P&O UK cruises via an Aussie on line T/A.Ā  As you say you cannot book direct with P&O UK from OZ, but through TA or P&O Australia. I found the pricing competitive.

That is good. Ā I learnt the difference on prices of cruises and travel insurance when my daughter lived in London. Ā I can't believe before that I just paid the brochure price, with no offer of OBC. Ā 

• 2 weeks later...