Cove balconies-Yay or Nay?

Crusin Karen

Have always had a balcony cabin-aft wraps on spirit class spoiled us forever!  Now that I'm a solo cruiser OV'es are fine.  Have my eye on an 8 day cruise-for $400 extra I can get a cove balcony.  If anyone has had a cove can I ask your opinion?  I'm not in cabin that much-just to sleep, change clothes and shower, But wonder if it's worth experiencing a cove!

• Like 2

I'll let you know! I have my next two booked there and am actually excited because it seems to be a love-it or hate-it situation. I suspect I'll love it but I love the ocean, the smell, the salt and the act of sailing so I'm not hard to please.  The only thing comparative is the sand and surf but that's for port days.  

• Like 2

Guest BasicSailor
1 minute ago, cruisingguy007 said:

I'll let you know! I have my next two booked there and am actually excited because it seems to be a love-it or hate-it situation. I suspect I'll love it but I love the ocean, the smell, the salt and the act of sailing so I'm not hard to please.  The only thing comparative is the sand and surf but that's for port days.  

Actually, there great! With a little more privacy without the Texan leaning over to see what you are doing today 👍

We've always had regular balcony cabins and on rare occasions a suite.  Last year we tried a cove balcony on Magic and honestly neither hated nor loved it, it was just a bit different.  I liked being closer to the water, never had any issues with spray (we were near the aft of the ship), and some of the structural steel provided a nice build in drink holder.  It was a little weird being surrounded by steel, but not really a big deal.

Like everyone else says, look at a deck plan and make sure you're not going to be under the galley.  Other than that I'd say go for it just this once to see what you think.

Edited by groundloop
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I just had a cove balcony on Panorama a few weeks ago and loved it! Be sure to check what is above you though as many of the rooms are under the galley. Also I heard that the coves at the front of the ship get a lot more spray from the water, ours was in the middle and never really got the spray. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

We had one once.  Key word is once.  Most cove cabins have public and/or service areas above them.  We would be woken every morning to tables and other furniture being dragged across the floor.  We will only take a cabin with a cabin above and below.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, kompera said:

I had a cove balcony on the Mardi Gras (09/24 - 10/01), and it was the most quiet stateroom I've ever stayed in!

Mind me asking where you were located? We booked one under the Javablue Cafe since there wouldn't be any lifeboats above.  We are hoping it will be an okay location, but regardless better than an interior room with no balcony at all. 😊

On 10/2/2022 at 10:35 AM, redsox1584 said:

I just had a cove balcony on Panorama a few weeks ago and loved it! Be sure to check what is above you though as many of the rooms are under the galley. Also I heard that the coves at the front of the ship get a lot more spray from the water, ours was in the middle and never really got the spray. 

Did you hear any noise from the galley? We are under it on the Panorama in August. Thanks!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, helene109 said:

Did you hear any noise from the galley? We are under it on the Panorama in August. Thanks!

we were not under the galley, we were under a corner of the dining room and never heard any noise from above. 

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, 13cheermom said:

Mind me asking where you were located? We booked one under the Javablue Cafe since there wouldn't be any lifeboats above.  We are hoping it will be an okay location, but regardless better than an interior room with no balcony at all. 😊

Cabin 5488. We had lifeboats above, which actually provided a bit of relief from the sun, and didn't hinder the view in any way.

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, kompera said:

Cabin 5488. We had lifeboats above, which actually provided a bit of relief from the sun, and didn't hinder the view in any way.

Thank you so much for the info. I was worried about my up coming mardi gras cove room. I was on the Carnival Magic back in May that I had booked after my Mardi Gras booking was made. Got a cove balcony on the Magic and it was a nightmare.The door to the balcony would not close all the way so the ONE night we stayed in it there was a constant whistle from the wind. Not clue what it was but had a horrendous boom and shudder that occurred over 15 times over that night and we had calm seas that night. It was so hard it made my glasses fall over on the counter. I asked for a room change the next morning. If I had stayed in that room I would have also been exposed the fumes that made so many people sick on that cruise. I'm in 5440 on Mardi Gras right down the hall from the room you were in so I have some hope that this will be a better experience then my last cove balcony.

On 10/2/2022 at 2:11 AM, vwrestler171 said:

I wasn't a fan of the cove balconies, I liked being closer to the water, but every day we had salt build up on everything, so we could really just it out there without wiping everything down first.

The salt buildup and the constant wetness are the reasons we will not do a cove balcony again.  Every time we wanted to go out and enjoy the balcony it was covered in either water or salt.