Designer jeans - restaurants and chic nights

socktaco

On 10/4/2022 at 8:41 PM, socktaco said:

The celebrity website says designer jeans and elegant top are ok for evening chic, and i presume that means in specialty restauants too. How often are ladies showing up in nice jeans and elegant tops? Really what i want to know is whether i will feel out of place if i do, and i know that's a really vague and subjective question. But im travelling solo and have reserved a specialty restaurant by myself which is a bit of a personal challenge and im interested in everyones thoughts and experiences.

You will be fine. Nice jeans, clean, (not ripped style) gets you into everywhere. Chic night is more like Friday date night.  .

Good for you for travelling solo. Always see many solo travellers.  Check eith Customer Relations as we have seen a night for solos to meet 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 10/4/2022 at 8:41 PM, socktaco said:

The celebrity website says designer jeans and elegant top are ok for evening chic, and i presume that means in specialty restauants too. How often are ladies showing up in nice jeans and elegant tops? Really what i want to know is whether i will feel out of place if i do, and i know that's a really vague and subjective question. But im travelling solo and have reserved a specialty restaurant by myself which is a bit of a personal challenge and im interested in everyones thoughts and experiences.

Actually it doesn’t mean specialty restaurants too.  The dress code for specialty restaurants is always Smart Casual, Evening Chic only applies to main dining.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, ISABELLA said:

In MHO - any jeans are not suitable for Chic Nights. Never seen anyone wear jeans in Specialty restaurants. But you would not be turned away. Unfortunately, cruising dress codes are going down the hill. I dress up, so is my DH. 

We eat in specialty restaurants on every cruise, and wear jeans. I believe in following the dress code rules, and after that, everything else is as you say, and opinion

• Like 2

On 10/5/2022 at 3:23 PM, sjb317 said:

Funny, there were quite a few men wearing shorts, t shirts and baseball caps in the MDR each night on our Summit cruise that ended Monday.  No one seemed to care.

Sherri🙂

Just off Infinity last week. On the way to dinner, there was a gentleman in the elevator wearing jeans complaining that he had been refused entry to the MDR for wearing shorts, and had to go back and change.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, RichYak said:

The notion that one lacks class and elegance because they are wearing jeans is a rather classless and inelegant way of thinking. 

Jeans used to be a work clothes, never an elegant clothes till now.  You are entitled to your opinion. I will stay with mine. 

• Haha 3

46 minutes ago, RedIguana said:

Just off Infinity last week. On the way to dinner, there was a gentleman in the elevator wearing jeans complaining that he had been refused entry to the MDR for wearing shorts, and had to go back and change.

Anyone who wants to wear shorts for dinner should sail with cruise lines that consider that norm. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

35 minutes ago, ISABELLA said:

Anyone who wants to wear shorts for dinner should sail with cruise lines that consider that norm. 

Agree, Celebrity does say no shorts are allowed in the MDR in evening. The unpublished exception is on the first evening. 

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, ISABELLA said:

Jeans used to be a work clothes, never an elegant clothes till now.  You are entitled to your opinion. I will stay with mine. 

James Dean died in 1955. That's 67 years. He and Marlon Brando, among others, moved them from work clothes in the 1950s. If anything, jeans have lost the "rebel" value since everyone wears them. People who need work clothes wear Carhartt or similar, although they've become semi-designer wear as well.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ISABELLA said:

Or people should change their expectations?  Celebrity is a mass market cruise line still masquerading as something more upscale.  If they want to stay in business and attract more passengers, they will need to appeal to a broader market, particularly young people who are used to everything being casual these days.  If people still want stuffy dress codes as part of their cruise experience, perhaps they should be the ones to look elsewhere?

4 hours ago, ISABELLA said:

Since you aren't employed by Celebrity, your opinion doesn't count when on the ship. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

10 hours ago, ISABELLA said:

If by "now" you mean the last 50+ years, then I agree. You are certainly entitled to your opinion, but please consider rethinking it every half century or so.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

On 10/6/2022 at 1:39 PM, ISABELLA said:

In MHO - any jeans are not suitable for Chic Nights. Never seen anyone wear jeans in Specialty restaurants. But you would not be turned away. Unfortunately, cruising dress codes are going down the hill. I dress up, so is my DH. 

I wear jeans every evening at dinner on Celebrity🤪. It's a good thing I dine in Luminae or Blu as Evening Chic does not apply.🤭

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, RichYak said:

If by "now" you mean the last 50+ years, then I agree. You are certainly entitled to your opinion, but please consider rethinking it every half century or so.

Even 10 years ago, jeans were not allowed in MDR on X ships, nevermind 50 years. And thank you for unsolicited advice.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, ISABELLA said:

Even 10 years ago, jeans were not allowed in MDR on X ships, nevermind 50 years. And thank you for unsolicited advice.

10 years ago is a decade ago. Times change, dress codes change. You’re welcome to your opinion but it’s celebrity’s dress code and they’re trying to attract less of you and more designer Jean type with $$$$. 

30 minutes ago, Cruise Junky said:

10 years ago is a decade ago. Times change, dress codes change. You’re welcome to your opinion but it’s celebrity’s dress code and they’re trying to attract less of you and more designer Jean type with $$$$. 

Wow! 

This is debated on every cruise i think about what you can and can not wear in the restaurants. Now i could not care less what anyone wears to go to the restaurants and I do not understand why it bothers anyone at all. Everyone is on holiday let people just enjoy themselfs. Behaviour is more important that what someone wears. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, markeb said:

James Dean died in 1955. That's 67 years. He and Marlon Brando, among others, moved them from work clothes in the 1950s. If anything, jeans have lost the "rebel" value since everyone wears them. People who need work clothes wear Carhartt or similar, although they've become semi-designer wear as well.

People who follow "Celebrities trend" don't have their own sense of style. That is why fashion industry is a Billions$$$  business. BTW, some of the most famous designers do not wear their own brand.

• Haha 1

51 minutes ago, Cebse said:

This is debated on every cruise i think about what you can and can not wear in the restaurants. Now i could not care less what anyone wears to go to the restaurants and I do not understand why it bothers anyone at all. Everyone is on holiday let people just enjoy themselfs. Behaviour is more important that what someone wears. 

To your point, we are going on the cruise as a holiday and/or celebrate special occasion, where people more dressed up. Also, is it OK to wear jeans to a wedding? I understand that is Celebrity decision, but I don't have to like it.

Many people just don’t dress up any more, that’s just the way our society is going. Go to a mass market fast casual eatery and you will see. In my experience, the MDR dress is similar to the Outback or Olive Garden as far as what people wear. 

If someone is wearing something that you don’t appreciate, just think, “Oh, their suitcase got lost. I am glad that isn’t holding them back.”

• Like 2

On 10/5/2022 at 10:41 PM, davekathy said:

We were disappointed that the CC wasn't holding the evening CC HH in the Sky Lounge like they did pre shut down. 

The Happy Hour was at any bar long before shut down.

You can still go for drinks in the Sky Lounge, difference is there are no nibbles.