Name a few little creature comforts that you miss while sailing

Travelling2Some

• 11 months later...
On 12/15/2022 at 3:31 AM, pcakes122 said:

Seriously! 😊 Yes, they deliver to your suite so it's there when you get there and you just leave it when you leave.  I rent from Scootaround and they offer 2 types of recliners. One is a regular manual recliner and the other is a motorized lift chair (that's the kind I rent because I am disabled.)  I'm on a cruise right now (sitting in my recliner as I'm typing this lol) and the rental fee was $305 for a 10-day cruise. (I add other insurance and protection fees so my total was $394.)  I'm sure the manual recliner is cheaper, but I don't know the cost. Here's a photo of the types they rent. Screenshot_20221215-031554_Chrome.thumb.jpg.a7a98f5c3194a448028d2df2086cfd99.jpg

Well, I decided to rent a recliner for my upcoming cruise on the Jade but when I called Scootaround they asked the width of the door as the motorized is 34" wide.  They said I had to contact NCL to find out what the width of the door is.  I called the pre-concierge and was told that they wouldn't be able to deliver it as it's not an accessible room even though it is the owner's suite and that the width is only 26 inches.  My hubby and I believe that it's wider than that so we're not sure if they are correct.  I'm wondering if I should find a way to talk to the special needs dept. to see if this is true.  I know you have said you have been in suites but were they all accessible as well?  Have you been in OS with them?

Thanks for any information you can give me.

Lisa

49 minutes ago, cruiseat50 said:

Well, I decided to rent a recliner for my upcoming cruise on the Jade but when I called Scootaround they asked the width of the door as the motorized is 34" wide.  They said I had to contact NCL to find out what the width of the door is.  I called the pre-concierge and was told that they wouldn't be able to deliver it as it's not an accessible room even though it is the owner's suite and that the width is only 26 inches.  My hubby and I believe that it's wider than that so we're not sure if they are correct.  I'm wondering if I should find a way to talk to the special needs dept. to see if this is true.  I know you have said you have been in suites but were they all accessible as well?  Have you been in OS with them?

Lisa

Okay, first I wanted to give you the link to the exact chair that Scootaround rents: Pride Lift Chair.

The chair is 34"wide, however it comes apart in two pieces (without tools.) The back of the chair lifts straight up and off, so even if the door is narrower, they can bring the base and back in sideways (separately.) Then the back just snaps back in.

Unfortunately, I don't have experience in a regular cabin, even the suites that I've sailed in have always been accessible.

Good luck and keep pushing! It is worth it to have a chair that you can be safe and comfortable in during your cruise. 😊

6 hours ago, cruiseat50 said:

I'm wondering if I should find a way to talk to the special needs dept. to see if this is true.  I know you have said you have been in suites but were they all accessible as well?  Have you been in OS with them?

Lisa

Call the NCL Access Desk at 866-584-9756. They can tell you exactly how wide the doors are and whether the chair will fit. Scootaround should also know but check with NCL Access to be sure. 

14 hours ago, cruiseat50 said:

Lisa

Why would you need to ask this?  Why would you *not* call Special Needs?

>> This is "What They Do"!

And if you haven't notified them about your needs/situation, there is no way they can know how to assist, including in emergencies.

We *always* notify "Special Needs", and NCL has a special form to make it easier to communicate.  (Our "needs" are very different from yours, but the principle still applies.). Also, no need to worry about whether some phone rep "made a notation" or not... or even made the *right* notation.

The form is extensive, as different pax can have very different needs.  Just fill out whichever parts applies to you.

As for the width of the special chair?  WHY wait to contact Special Needs just in case it turns out it does not fit?  How would it be better to find this out after you have boarded rather than in advance?

Our approach is:  IF we need help with something, we want to make getting that help as easy for us as possible.  And this almost always requires that we also make it relatively easy for those who might be helping us. Others can't read our minds (in advance or even in person).

GC

8 hours ago, GeezerCouple said:

Why would you need to ask this?  Why would you *not* call Special Needs?

>> This is "What They Do"!

And if you haven't notified them about your needs/situation, there is no way they can know how to assist, including in emergencies.

We *always* notify "Special Needs", and NCL has a special form to make it easier to communicate.  (Our "needs" are very different from yours, but the principle still applies.). Also, no need to worry about whether some phone rep "made a notation" or not... or even made the *right* notation.

The form is extensive, as different pax can have very different needs.  Just fill out whichever parts applies to you.

As for the width of the special chair?  WHY wait to contact Special Needs just in case it turns out it does not fit?  How would it be better to find this out after you have boarded rather than in advance?

Our approach is:  IF we need help with something, we want to make getting that help as easy for us as possible.  And this almost always requires that we also make it relatively easy for those who might be helping us. Others can't read our minds (in advance or even in person).

GC

I see folks are trying to help here, but I don't think people understand the issue. The company that rents the chair has advised that the chair is 34 inches wide. NCL has ALREADY indicated that the door is not 34 inches wide. I'm not saying not to call the Access Department, but they aren't really the ones that can solve the problem.

The poster should work with Scootaround to resolve. I have a lot of experience with them and the general agents will just say, "No, the chair is 34 inches wide and if the door is not 34 inches we cannot rent you the chair." That's the reason I posted the link to the chair specs and mentioned that the chair comes apart in two pieces. Since the chair comes apart, the door doesn't need to be 34 inches wide. Someone needs to just get a supervisor at Scootaround to authorize the rental.

The most that the NCL Access Department can do here is to confirm what NCL reps already said (that the door is not 34 inches wide.) The NCL Access Department doesn't have any authority over whether or not Scootaround will approve the rental.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pcakes122 said:

I see folks are trying to help here, but I don't think people understand the issue. The company that rents the chair has advised that the chair is 34 inches wide. NCL has ALREADY indicated that the door is not 34 inches wide. I'm not saying not to call the Access Department, but they aren't really the ones that can solve the problem.

The poster should work with Scootaround to resolve. I have a lot of experience with them and the general agents will just say, "No, the chair is 34 inches wide and if the door is not 34 inches we cannot rent you the chair." That's the reason I posted the link to the chair specs and mentioned that the chair comes apart in two pieces. Since the chair comes apart, the door doesn't need to be 34 inches wide. Someone needs to just get a supervisor at Scootaround to authorize the rental.

The most that the NCL Access Department can do here is to confirm what NCL reps already said (that the door is not 34 inches wide.) The NCL Access Department doesn't have any authority over whether or not Scootaround will approve the rental.

Thanks all for the input and I had plans to call the access desk but it was too late in the day and I really wanted help from someone who had first hand knowledge.  

So, I did call them today and they said that the door is 26" so it would not go straight through which I knew but they couldn't/wouldn't validate that Scootaround would deliver and take the chair apart to get it through the door and they are the only vendor that NCL allows to deliver.  I called Scootaround and told the woman what they had said and at first she said they couldn't do it but I think she really just didn't understand how easy it would be to take the back off and carry it in.  I kept working with her and she finally got authorization that it could be delivered. 🥳  Persistence or stubbornness is key. 🙄 

Thanks again Pcakes for this help and hope all your future cruises are with calm seas.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, cruiseat50 said:

Thanks all for the input and I had plans to call the access desk but it was too late in the day and I really wanted help from someone who had first hand knowledge.  

So, I did call them today and they said that the door is 26" so it would not go straight through which I knew but they couldn't/wouldn't validate that Scootaround would deliver and take the chair apart to get it through the door and they are the only vendor that NCL allows to deliver.  I called Scootaround and told the woman what they had said and at first she said they couldn't do it but I think she really just didn't understand how easy it would be to take the back off and carry it in.  I kept working with her and she finally got authorization that it could be delivered. 🥳  Persistence or stubbornness is key. 🙄 

Thanks again Pcakes for this help and hope all your future cruises are with calm seas.

I am so so happy you were able to get this resolved! Have a wonderful cruise on the Jade! 🛳️ I will be relaxing in that exact chair next week on the Oceania Vista and will think of you! 😀

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, pcakes122 said:

I am so so happy you were able to get this resolved! Have a wonderful cruise on the Jade! 🛳️ I will be relaxing in that exact chair next week on the Oceania Vista and will think of you! 😀

@cruiseat50 PS here's a screenshot from the manual regarding splitting the chair in two just in case the delivery people are clueless (lol) 

Screenshot_20231130_191133_AdobeAcrobat.thumb.jpg.a6561bbc6f3f01a3590350c13bfe0551.jpg

• Like 2

Really missed my instantaneous, no-nonsense wifi access and spotify playlists.

+2 on the Weather Channel votes, too. Would just be really nice to know how to dress for an excursion in the variable fall weather of the Mediterranean, and the info the ship delivered was unhelpful. 

• Like 1

On 10/10/2022 at 10:25 AM, Travelling2Some said:

I'll start:  (1) my own coffee and Keurig - don't like Starbucks.  (2) my electric toothbrush.   (3)  my fuzzy slippers that are too bulky to pack.   (4)  real books - preferably hard cover.  (5)  potato chips!

P.S.  This is meant to be a non-serious FUN thread.  If you don't "see the point", think it is "unnecessary", or want to start a dopey argument over nothing, please just keep scrolling and move along.

My tooth brush keeps its charge for 2 weeks, so I take it.

On 10/12/2022 at 11:07 AM, fenny7cats said:

I will miss my nightly long soak in a bathtub reading a good book and drinking a glass of wine - Not looking forward to enduring 11 nights of showers in Jan since they remodelled the club balcony cabin bathroom on the Pearl after I booked it and they ripped out the bathtub!!

seabourn.... a bath tub in every room, just doesn't match NCL for entertainment though. 

1 hour ago, breadandbutter said:

Can't you take some with you?

I take individual vanilla creamers (International Delight) on every cruise. We either take a box of 24 or 48 depending on how long the cruise is and leave the leftovers for the crew at the end of the cruise. I pack them in my carry-on.

• Like 1

Used this for 2 weeks on a land based trip to the Bahamas, not as "convenient" however does almost as good.  Will be with me on my 2 week on Jade!

https://www.amazon.com/My-Bathroom-Butt-Buddy-Lifestyle/dp/B07QV8LJJ5/ref=sr_1_5_pp?crid=1SJR5R8TA2KHH&keywords=bidet+bottle+portable+bidet+sprayer&qid=1701695941&sprefix=bidet+bottle%2Caps%2C282&sr=8-5