Azamara touts “complimentary self-serve laundry”

cpristash

You generally meet fascinating people in the laundry room. I met a really lovely professional female basketball player of the LGBT persuasion on a recent cruise. I'm 5'6, and my underwear was at about 6'4 in one of the upper washers. She was very helpful and extremely gracious! But note, an Azamara machine did eat one of my socks back in 2010, Azamara still has not reimbursed me for the loss, and my sock drawer back home remains off balance. And another word of caution. The machines are on deck 7. If you have a veranda room port side or inside near the laundry room, you probably want to change if you can. It gets busy with traffic and noise. As someone posted, soap is provided they ask you NOT to use your own. Laundry service is always available, it is superb, and it is costly. Enjoy your trip!

• Haha 2

19 hours ago, trk_koa said:

Do they still provide the soap? Is it scented?

37 minutes ago, andrcan said:

They specifically say it is unscented.

On Journey right now.  The laundromat soap is provided free of charge.  It is heavily scented [no matter what they say]

30 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

On Journey right now.  The laundromat soap is provided free of charge.  It is heavily scented [no matter what they say]

Another supply chain issue, I guess. Well, better be scented soap than undrinkable wine)

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

22 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

DW says there were two different color pods in the laundromat and she used a different one in each load – and both came out smelling like Pepe LePew!  However, I can now add that the laundry service uses unscented detergent.  

When I boarded Quest in Miami earlier this year I arrived with a soaking wet case courtesy of American Airlines.  No idea how, the new case was covered in black marks and everything was wet.  Several people appeared to have the same issue at reclaim.

The Uber driver was not happy.  Did the best I could to dry clothes overnight with the expectation of using the laundry onboard.

Was chatting to an officer prior to boarding and mentioned the wet case when asked how my journey had been. He said to let them know if I needed anything.
Upon almost immediate delivery I was asked by the room steward if I needed any assistance, said he would take the case away.  Everything was taken away and returned in a much better condition.  No charge was made. Unexpected and very much appreciated. Became another reason to add to the long list of reasons why I love Azamara. 

• Like 11

5 hours ago, RW75 said:

When I boarded Quest in Miami earlier this year I arrived with a soaking wet case courtesy of American Airlines.  No idea how, the new case was covered in black marks and everything was wet.  Several people appeared to have the same issue at reclaim.

The Uber driver was not happy.  Did the best I could to dry clothes overnight with the expectation of using the laundry onboard.

Was chatting to an officer prior to boarding and mentioned the wet case when asked how my journey had been. He said to let them know if I needed anything.
Upon almost immediate delivery I was asked by the room steward if I needed any assistance, said he would take the case away.  Everything was taken away and returned in a much better condition.  No charge was made. Unexpected and very much appreciated. Became another reason to add to the long list of reasons why I love Azamara. 

It’s things like that, that make me love Azamara as well.  
It sounds like your case got dropped in water or sat out in a rainstorm?  

I was just reading last night on a travel web site about a covering that is waterproof that you can put on your suitcase to protect it from scuff marks, as well. It was priced between $11 and $17, based on the size.  I may purchase one, especially after reading your story!   It was on Amazon.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, takemewithyou said:

I was just reading last night on a travel web site about a covering that is waterproof that you can put on your suitcase to protect it from scuff marks, as well. It was priced between $11 and $17, based on the size.  I may purchase one, especially after reading your story!   It was on Amazon.

Stories like this one make me understand why they say “Welcome home!” at Azamara!

Since my college years, I always pack stacks of folded clothes in the plastic shopping bags before putting them into the suitcase. Shirts separately, shorts separately, etc. Better protection, better navigation, easy to pack/unpack. Saved me from trouble a couple of times when my suitcase was delivered wet)

• Like 5

4 hours ago, takemewithyou said:

Genuinely have no idea, certainly looked like a large number of cases in the same condition.  No rain that I noticed. Maybe rain is just too easy an answer to the question of how it happened. 

Over the years there are few things I haven’t tried.  Only occasionally do I ever check luggage and usually ensure an equal distribution of contents between checked and carry on. 

I know plenty of people whom swear by the case covers. Certainly see the value in them now. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, andrcan said:

Stories like this one make me understand why they say “Welcome home!” at Azamara!

Since my college years, I always pack stacks of folded clothes in the plastic shopping bags before putting them into the suitcase. Shirts separately, shorts separately, etc. Better protection, better navigation, easy to pack/unpack. Saved me from trouble a couple of times when my suitcase was delivered wet)

You are so right. Can’t tell you how many times I have been laughed at by travelling companions for using plastic bags when packing.  Suddenly became an issue in Dar es Salaam as plastic bags irrespective of single use variety or not can not be brought into the country.  Nothing a $20 note doesn’t solve. 

Use a packing cube and you’re a genius to someone whom has never seen them, use a plastic bag and you’re a lunatic.  Some people never see the budget option as the best option. 

7 hours ago, andrcan said:

I have done the same since having soaking wet bag and contents which happened at a connection half way across USA. Had the use of a dryer at the hotel we were at, but unfortunately temperature was too high and several items ended up shrunk at the beginning of a journey several weeks long.

As you say, also makes packing easier and clothes tend to not get crumpled. 😀

• Like 1