UA Class of Service Question...

Bo1953

Hello all - My question is about mixing class of service on UA the following non-stop flights using FBC:

29 Aug 23    EWR - BCN    UA 120  (Boeing 767-400ER)   Business Class

15 Sep 23    ROM - EWR    UA  41  (Boeing 777-200)   Business Class

My question is, due to pricing I Am considering booking Premium Economy for the return flight....

As these are the only non-stops I could currently find, is this a good move do you think for saving quite  a few bucks?

I do understand that planes and schedules will most likely change between now and then to one degree or another, yet in a perfect world this will remain the same!!! LOL

Thank you for your input and recommendations.

bon voyage

While I'd fly in business class both ways, if I had to choose, I'd probably go with premium economy on the way over and business returning.  The reason for that is that the eastbound flight is over an hour shorter (could be more depending on winds) than the westbound, again, because of winds.  The westbound flight will also be during daylight, so you'll have more time to enjoy the business class food and amenities, not to mention lounge access at FCO before you fly.  

I personally find that eastbound overnight flights tend to offer less restful experiences, even with "flat beds" in business class, due to interruptions for meal service and pre-landing formalities as you approach Europe in the morning.  You won't sleep as well in PE, but you might find that the tradeoff is acceptable.  YMMV of course.  

@Gardyloo, having been in both, the Polaris Lounge at EWR is better than the contract lounge at FCO. A fair bit better.

I would definitely take Business Class going over, both for Polaris Lounge, and for sleeping ability on the lie flat Business class seats. The food isn't going to be that great to stay up all night for.

• Like 3

Honestly, the food is pretty terrible in Polaris, so don’t use that to make your decision.  I would also chose business on the outbound and eat in the Polaris Lounge (which is very nice) and skip the meal on the plane.  I’d rather have the lie flat seat to sleep on the way over.   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hello all, as a follow up, I Am currently booked in Business Class as follows:

29 Aug    UA   #120   EWR - BCN    B767-400ER    NS  1905 - 0900 (+1)

14 Sep    BA   #551   ROM - LON    AB A320    0805 - 0950

BA   #0185    LON-EWR   B777    1100 - 1350*

* - in LON the arrival and departure terminal is five (5), the time between seems it might be an issue for the connection there.

Second Choice airport closer to home (looking for better pricing on this route)

29 Aug     AA    #742    EWR - BCN    B787-8   NS

14 Aug    AA    #719     ROM - EWR    B787-8  NS

Thoughts about the sectors, service, class of service on the airlines in play currently???

I do understand that all of these plans will change, yet will not know the extent until it happens... LOL

TIA and bon voyage

Edited by Bo1953

5 hours ago, Bo1953 said:

Thoughts about the sectors, service, class of service on the airlines in play currently???

All other things being equal, I'd definitely prefer the pair of non-stops simply because they're non-stops. I have a lurking fondness for the 777 for - how shall I put this? - its over-engineered structural integrity, but if in business class this really wouldn't be a big factor.

This is from the point of view of someone for whom air travel is a means of getting from A to B, and who wouldn't go much out of the way just for differences in service levels (but would do so for operational excellence). However, it would be relevant to me that this itinerary is all on oneworld.

I'm assuming that the second line here was intended to read "14 Sep", as in your first itinerary.

9 hours ago, Bo1953 said:

This doesn't look right (excusing the incorrect IATA codes for Rome, FCO). AA don't fly internationally from EWR, those flights are to and from Philadelphia.

AA742 is from PHL-BCN.

AA719 is from FCO-PHL.

32 minutes ago, 6rugrats said:

BA and UA aren’t in the same alliance.  If you chose this set, where will you book it?

Airlines don't need to be in the same alliance for you to book a roundtrip on them, pretty much any OTA will do this. 

Hello all - thank you for pointing out my errors... LOL

Much appreciated, for sure.

The corrections are as follows:

14 Sep    BA   #551   FCO - LHR    AB A320    0805 - 0950

BA   #0185  LHR - EWR   B777    1100 - 1350*

* - in LHR the arrival and departure terminal is five (5), the time between seems it might be an issue for the connection there.

29 Aug     AA    #742    PHL - BCN    B787-8   NS

14 Sep    AA    #719     FCO - PHL    B787-8  NS

@6rugratsI prefer PHL because it is much closer to home for us, the difference in fare is, currently, $1,250 pp. I will keep checking fares, though as there is enough time to book. I have initially booked through Flights By Celebrity.

Thank you all for your insight and input...

bon voyage

4 hours ago, Bo1953 said:

Hello all - thank you for pointing out my errors... LOL

Much appreciated, for sure.

The corrections are as follows:

14 Sep    BA   #551   FCO - LHR    AB A320    0805 - 0950

BA   #0185  LHR - EWR   B777    1100 - 1350*

* - in LHR the arrival and departure terminal is five (5), the time between seems it might be an issue for the connection there.

29 Aug     AA    #742    PHL - BCN    B787-8   NS

14 Sep    AA    #719     FCO - PHL    B787-8  NS

@6rugratsI prefer PHL because it is much closer to home for us, the difference in fare is, currently, $1,250 pp. I will keep checking fares, though as there is enough time to book. I have initially booked through Flights By Celebrity.

Thank you all for your insight and input...

bon voyage

I am not any kind of flight expert but I will always take non-stops over connecting flights.  (Plus, that LHR time seems really tight.)  I did the FCO to PHL on AA in June.  Things ran smoothly and we actually landed over an hour early. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, mchell810 said:

I am not any kind of flight expert but I will always take non-stops over connecting flights.  (Plus, that LHR time seems really tight.)  I did the FCO to PHL on AA in June.  Things ran smoothly and we actually landed over an hour early. 

It's T5 to T5 so it's really not that tight.

BA have Fast Track security for those in premium cabins that are connecting and there's also the ability to reclear security in T5B and T5C if you are on a tight connection. 

• Thanks 1