Increase in gratuity?

SkygirlSue

I just booked a cruise and my TA said the daily gratuity rate is $16/day for each person.  I have chosen to pay this at the end of the cruise.

Just curious because I just sailed with Windstar in April and it was $14.50/day.  Any current cruisers who can confirm this new rate?

Thanks!

Since you will pay gratuities, it might be better if it was automatically included in the cruise price.  Unlike many cruise lines that let you use OBC to pay the gratuities, Windstar will not let you use OBC.  It seems that there are people at the end of the cruise unaware that they cannot use OBC for tips. Often they seemed surprised and mad that their OBC has restrictions.  By the time that they realize it, it is often too late to spend that OBC. 

• 5 weeks later...

Gratuities are always a topic of discussion and disagreement as to whether they should be included in the cruise price and also the amount.  In the fine print of every cruise we have taken, it has indicated what the per person daily gratuity is, based on cabin class.  I don't know why people would be surprised about the amount, but can see how OBC usage may not be clear. If you're going to want to use OBC towards gratuities on any cruise line, IMO you should check either prior to sailing or when you board if that is allowed. That way you don't get caught with an unused OBC if the answer is "no".

• Like 1

On 10/20/2022 at 3:04 PM, Redtravel said:

Since you will pay gratuities, it might be better if it was automatically included in the cruise price.  Unlike many cruise lines that let you use OBC to pay the gratuities, Windstar will not let you use OBC.  It seems that there are people at the end of the cruise unaware that they cannot use OBC for tips. Often they seemed surprised and mad that their OBC has restrictions.  By the time that they realize it, it is often too late to spend that OBC. 

To clarify, it is the OBC that you get from Windstar that is not useable for gratuities - that's the OBC that comes from Windstar promotions, Yacht Club, etc. 

The OBC that I get from my agent is a different category (I forget how it appears on the statement at the beginning of the cruise but it has a different name) - it's refundable if not used and can be used for gratuities.