Dining in The Restaurant at lunch

Genoabay

3 minutes ago, CruiserfaeFife said:

On Ovation pre-COVID we enjoyed the bento box-style lunches in Sushi. Hoping this restaurant will still be open at lunchtime when we board in January. IIRC Encore also has Sushi, but not the smaller ships. 

I am envious of those of you who enjoy sushi.  While not a picky eater, I don't sushi.  It would be great to have a small restaurant like that, open for lunch, that served another kind of food . 

16 hours ago, sullaRaffaello said:

How about giving the crew who work the casuality self-service buffet crap a break and leave the dining room, which is a necessary component of a "luxury" experience, open.  

I do not disagree with this at all. We are not buffet fans - although I will say that Viking has taken it to a different level than most we have sailed on. This being our first SB cruise, and this being a “luxury” line, I would not expect to find these types of concerns. I would think that having the dining room open on sea days would be automatic. In this thread, and several other, I notice quite a bit of unrest amongst SB fans with a lot reduction of service changes that have been implemented. Add to that, the financial concerns - I am sincerely beginning to wonder if my paid in full luxury cruise is such a wise decision. I should be getting excited about our first post-Covid cruise on SB, not increasingly worried. I know cruise lines in general have really struggled, and it’s not a bed of roses everywhere, but there seems to be a high level of dissatisfaction and concerns on the SB threads in comparison to a couple other lines we have sailed on or are considering. 

Edited by Vineyard View
  • Like 1

On Quest in August, the restaurant was sometimes open for breakfast or lunch on a sea day and sometimes not. The breakfast offering in the restaurant was identical to the offering in the Collonade. The Patio does offer some interesting variety for breakfast.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, kjbacon said:

On Quest in August, the restaurant was sometimes open for breakfast or lunch on a sea day and sometimes not. The breakfast offering in the restaurant was identical to the offering in the Collonade. The Patio does offer some interesting variety for breakfast.

I am curious.  What would have liked to see on the MDR breakfast menu that was not there?  I always found quite a few choices.  My objection to the Colonnade is that we don't do buffets.  We had eggs cooked various ways and the choice of other items if we wished.  Since we haven't cruised post pandemic, I  haven't had the opportunity to do the patio breakfast yet.  I'm looking forward to it.  Pre-pandemic, on the level right. down a flight of stairs from the Colonnade, there were some healthy offerings--smoothies and some other things that I don't recall in detail at this point.  My husband enjoyed that venue for breakfast.  As for me, I am always looking for ambience and like serene.  

On the Quest in August from Dover to Montreal, the Restaurant was open for breakfast on 4 of the 8 sea days and for lunch on all of the sea days.  (I went back and looked at my Heralds.)  We never went to breakfast there.  I think we've eaten in the Restaurant for breakfast once in our days on Seabourn and on that occasion, we were the only ones there.  We did eat lunch there twice on this past voyage and it was very nice, and quite busy.  I can tell you that the menu in the Restaurant has the same offerings that are available to order in the Colonnade but they also offer specials every day that I don't think are the same as the specials in the Colonnade, but I'm not sure, having not eaten in both places for lunch on the same day.  

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Vineyard View said:

I do not disagree with this at all. We are not buffet fans - although I will say that Viking has taken it to a different level than most we have sailed on. This being our first SB cruise, and this being a “luxury” line, I would not expect to find these types of concerns. I would think that having the dining room open on sea days would be automatic. In this thread, and several other, I notice quite a bit of unrest amongst SB fans with a lot reduction of service changes that have been implemented. Add to that, the financial concerns - I am sincerely beginning to wonder if my paid in full luxury cruise is such a wise decision. I should be getting excited about our first post-Covid cruise on SB, not increasingly worried. I know cruise lines in general have really struggled, and it’s not a bed of roses everywhere, but there seems to be a high level of dissatisfaction and concerns on the SB threads in comparison to a couple other lines we have sailed on or are considering. 

I ended up avoiding Cruise Critic for quite awhile part way through my cruise in July/August. I had a wonderful cruise. In our 35 day cruise there was occasional lapses but not anything important and staying in luxury places most of the time, especially for long stays, I find this to be expected.

Obviously some on this board didn't have great cruises and I am sorry they didn't. However others like myself had thoroughly enjoyable cruises recently and are looking forward to returning.

I received an email from a friend yesterday who is on Odyssey currently doing the Grand Voyage, they ignore CC. They are having a great time and said with the wine they are finding they have enough good choices in the included they are rarely buying revenue and they have a great wine cellar at home. They only have some minor complaints with some staff in guest services. They have sailed a lot on Seabourn pre-Covid and this is their first post-Covid.

• Like 5

6 hours ago, Vineyard View said:

I am sincerely beginning to wonder if my paid in full luxury cruise is such a wise decision. I should be getting excited about our first post-Covid cruise on SB, not increasingly worried.

I, too, worried whether my first Seabourn cruise, which was on the Odyssey last month, was the right decision.  My worry stemmed entirely from reading complaints on Cruise Critic.  As it turns out, I would have been better off (and would have slept a lot easier) if I wouldn't have read those complaints.

I am picky, especially when it comes to food and to service.  But after 14 wonderful days on board, I can say that the cruise was truly outstanding. 

Do yourself a big favor and don't worry.  If you go with a positive attitude, you should have a great cruise.

• Like 13

Skybluewaters and Frantic36 - thank you both for this. We aren’t really picky either, except maybe with wine - but having read these and all the big issues on Quest, which we are booked on, just amped me up in a negative way. 
I will do my best to take your advice, and sincerely appreciate your input. 

Our last cruise I Alaska, the first 2 weeks of August, the MDR was not open one day for lunch.  We are fine with that as we don’t even go to the MDR for dinner - too slow.  We don’t want a 2 hour dinner.  Our record in the TKG is 35 minutes!  Despite their limited menu, we would eat there nightly.  We have also found we can adapt the E&O menu in the evening to get something that will do, and more importantly, request quick service.

We have completed 3 cruises since December.  None of them have been at capacity.  There was rarely a line at the Patio or Colonade for breakfast or lunch.  Yes, there were service issues but our last cruise saw most of that disappear.  

There are staffing issues:

Last cruise (August) - lots of new staff but they were very well trained.  The April cruise was just a disaster as far as service.

I guess the thing that surprises me the most is a lack of “standard of work” across the Seabourn line as well as an inconsistency of food offerings.

• Like 1

On 10/15/2022 at 10:48 AM, sullaRaffaello said:

How about giving the crew who work the casuality self-service buffet crap a break and leave the dining room, which is a necessary component of a "luxury" experience, open.  

Because 95% of passengers prefer the Colonnade for lunch on port days and only ~10 people show up at the Restaurant.
Closing one venue allows everyone to get an occasional break, as the crew works all venues. 

• Like 2

From memory, MDR lunch served 12:30 -2PM.  This was shortened to 12:30-1:30 a few years before Covid struck.   Pretty dependable to be open sea days.   All items in MDR available in Colonnade.    I enjoy a lingering lunch in MDR which will happen soon on Silver Moon crossing.

Edited by saminina

2 hours ago, LMB01 said:

Our last cruise I Alaska, the first 2 weeks of August, the MDR was not open one day for lunch.  We are fine with that as we don’t even go to the MDR for dinner - too slow.  We don’t want a 2 hour dinner.  Our record in the TKG is 35 minutes!  Despite their limited menu, we would eat there nightly.  We have also found we can adapt the E&O menu in the evening to get something that will do, and more importantly, request quick service.

When we go out to dinner locally, we are not of the mindset to receive quick service. It is an occasion and we enjoy taking our time. Same with traveling. We would never have a goal of dinner being completed in 35 minutes in any venue, let alone a five star location. We absolutely enjoy a leisurely evening. 
We want more than getting something that will do. We want to savor a nice meal and service. I am not saying one position is right, and one is wrong.  I guess it is a great option for those that wish to spend a small amount of time dining in the evenings, and if you can present your preferences up front and have them occur, everyone is happy……except those who would like to enjoy a nice lunch without pop music on sea days. 

• Like 3

16 hours ago, SLSD said:

I am curious.  What would have liked to see on the MDR breakfast menu that was not there?  I always found quite a few choices.  My objection to the Colonnade is that we don't do buffets.  We had eggs cooked various ways and the choice of other items if we wished.  Since we haven't cruised post pandemic, I  haven't had the opportunity to do the patio breakfast yet.  I'm looking forward to it.  Pre-pandemic, on the level right. down a flight of stairs from the Colonnade, there were some healthy offerings--smoothies and some other things that I don't recall in detail at this point.  My husband enjoyed that venue for breakfast.  As for me, I am always looking for ambience and like serene.  

I also prefer a sit down over a buffet and with the longer cruises, more variety would be good.Turkey bacon and turkey sausage was the notable omission since more and more people are not as into pork products. The sliced deli meats on the cold buffet at breakfast were also all pork based and while I did request sliced deli turkey many times, it was still always pork based (like ham and salami). A vegan choice of some kind as a special would have been good. I know the vegan burger was popular at lunch.

Avocado toast on a good hearty grainy bread or Huevos rancheros are both healthy and popular. The Patio had some interesting grain bowls with quinoa and mango as well as breakfast burritos, either or both would have been a nice addition to the indoor venues.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kjbacon said:

I also prefer a sit down over a buffet and with the longer cruises, more variety would be good.Turkey bacon and turkey sausage was the notable omission since more and more people are not as into pork products. The sliced deli meats on the cold buffet at breakfast were also all pork based and while I did request sliced deli turkey many times, it was still always pork based (like ham and salami). A vegan choice of some kind as a special would have been good. I know the vegan burger was popular at lunch.

Avocado toast on a good hearty grainy bread or Huevos rancheros are both healthy and popular. The Patio had some interesting grain bowls with quinoa and mango as well as breakfast burritos, either or both would have been a nice addition to the indoor venues.

Interesting.  Being from Texas, I make huevos rancheros and migas often.  It would not occur to me to look for them on a SB ship. And since I never eat deli meats of any kind, I would not even notice what is or is not offered in that vein.  And,  I'm usually not disappointed if certain things are not available as I have so many other choices. I do always ask for ice tea with lunch and I am sometimes amused when they bring me a TINY glass of it, not realizing that ice tea is often consumed in copious quantities. 

What I am seeing is a difference in expectations and I think having certain expectations which are not met can certain color how you see a cruise line.  

21 hours ago, florisdekort said:

Because 95% of passengers prefer the Colonnade for lunch on port days and only ~10 people show up at the Restaurant.
Closing one venue allows everyone to get an occasional break, as the crew works all venues. 

Those 95% don't belong on an elegant ship.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

On 10/16/2022 at 9:06 AM, florisdekort said:

Giving the crew a break is not an excuse for not opening the Restaurant for both breakfast and lunch.  Seabourn did just fine for many years with the Restaurant open for three meals a day.  Then they dropped to two and now just one.  We were on SB for five weeks this summer and the Restaurant was not open for breakfast or lunch a single day.  Contrast this to Silversea who have their Atlantide restaurant open three meals a day seven days a week.  

A 6-star cruise experience should have a table service venue with full menus for three meals a day.  Seabourn does not and their hamburger, hot dog and fish of the day doesn't cut it.

Closing the Restaurant was financial decision.  The crew are not sleeping below decks or off shopping on their 'break.'  Seabourn just hires less crew, but works them just as hard-if you don't believe me just ask them.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

21 hours ago, SLSD said:

Interesting.  Being from Texas, I make huevos rancheros and migas often.  It would not occur to me to look for them on a SB ship. And since I never eat deli meats of any kind, I would not even notice what is or is not offered in that vein.  And,  I'm usually not disappointed if certain things are not available as I have so many other choices. I do always ask for ice tea with lunch and I am sometimes amused when they bring me a TINY glass of it, not realizing that ice tea is often consumed in copious quantities. 

What I am seeing is a difference in expectations and I think having certain expectations which are not met can certain color how you see a cruise line.  

I think you are right that it is best to have low expectations for SB, especially Quest.

There isn’t enough Kool Aid in the world for me to like their daily buffet only options or to buy into that as a 6* experience.

You are also right not to look for any variety in breakfast options like Huevos rancheros on a SB ship. Others ships yes, SB no.

• Like 2