Formal Night on Prima?

kayjaypea42

Hello all! I was just wondering if there are any formal nights or "Dress Up or Not" nights on the Prima?  Or, barring that, are there any nights where there seems to be more photographers / photo stations out and about?  

Also, what, if any, are the theme nights and when?  Thanks!!

1 minute ago, kayjaypea42 said:

Hello all! I was just wondering if there are any formal nights or "Dress Up or Not" nights on the Prima?  Or, barring that, are there any nights where there seems to be more photographers / photo stations out and about?  

You can dress up any night.  A photographer will find you.

Since COVID, not sure about theme nights.  They used to have "White Hot Party" or "GLOW" night.  Not sure about now, though.  I was on the Getaway this past summer.  Don't recall seeing either/any of those themes announced.  Could have been I just didn't notice them.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MotownVoice said:

There are no formal nights on any ship in the NCL fleet.

Yeah, but they used to have "Dress up or not" night, usually on the first sea day.  Have they done away with that too?  Not complaining if they have, but the question was raised in my family reunion cruise group and I want to make sure that I give them the right info. Thanks!

5 minutes ago, kayjaypea42 said:

Yeah, but they used to have "Dress up or not" night, usually on the first sea day.  Have they done away with that too?  Not complaining if they have, but the question was raised in my family reunion cruise group and I want to make sure that I give them the right info. Thanks!

"Dress Up or Not" doesn't sound anything like a "Formal Night."

It sounds like every single other night on the cruise.  You wanna dress up?  You go.

The closest thing to a dress code as relates to formality is that Business Casual is the minimum for dinner attendance in the two formal dining rooms.

Edited by MotownVoice

1 minute ago, MotownVoice said:

"Dress Up or Not" doesn't sound anything like a "Formal Night."

It sounds like every single other night on the cruise.  You wanna dress up?  You go.

Yeah, I agree, that's pretty much NCL's MO.  But when they stated that there was THAT NIGHT, some people did get dolled up for that one evening, and there usually were a lot of photographers around, more than usual. It was like a signal to say "Ok, so if you're gonna get dressed up, TONIGHT'S THE NIGHT!"  Most people (me included) wore what they were going to anyway, so like I said, I don't care personally if they have it or not.  I just want to make sure I give as accurate of info to my group as possible.

3 minutes ago, kayjaypea42 said:

Yeah, I agree, that's pretty much NCL's MO.  But when they stated that there was THAT NIGHT, some people did get dolled up for that one evening, and there usually were a lot of photographers around, more than usual. It was like a signal to say "Ok, so if you're gonna get dressed up, TONIGHT'S THE NIGHT!"  Most people (me included) wore what they were going to anyway, so like I said, I don't care personally if they have it or not.  I just want to make sure I give as accurate of info to my group as possible.

I can guarantee you that if you showed up for dinner in an elegant gown and jewels on any given, unannounced night not a single person is going to tell you to go back to your stateroom and take that stuff off.

NCL is "do what you want as relates to dinner dress.  be happy.  you're on vacation.  we're not here to make you do anything except ask you not to show up half naked."

I mean that literally is their official policy.

1 minute ago, kayjaypea42 said:

Dude.  I know.  I wanted to know if they still specified a day for Dress up or not like they used to.  I know their policy / attitude re: dress.  Been on quite a few NCL ships, but all pre-covid.  Thanks.

How have I not answered your question?

Is there a night to dress formally?

No.

Can you dress formally whenever you wish?

Yes.

I just got off a 5 day PRIMA cruise and there were no formal or "Dress Up or Not" nights. Photographers took photos in restaurants and there were set ups in a few places where people were getting snapped.

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, kayjaypea42 said:

Dude.  I know.  I wanted to know if they still specified a day for Dress up or not like they used to.  I know their policy / attitude re: dress.  Been on quite a few NCL ships, but all pre-covid.  Thanks.

I think (not sure) that they did have a 'Dress up or not' night on Escape in January.

There were Dress up or Not nights on the Bliss last December, on the Encore in August, and currently on Pride of America, on the second night of our cruise(s), with photographers set up in a couple of locations. Hope that helps @kayjaypea42There were also a couple of theme parties but we didn't pay much attention.

Edited by NikiPinkston

There is nothing formally mentioned in any of the NCL literature, or even by googling until cows begin coming home that mentions "Dress Up or Not."

The Sample Cruise Calendar refers to a "Dress Up and Step Out" night to dine with the captain.  That's as close as you're going to come.

I think it's just Cruise Critic people developing their own culture around the days the photographers are out working.

The very name "Dress Up or Not", by its very nature literally means "There Is No Dress Code.  Wear Whatever You Want."

There will be no organized party, or special streamers over the dining tables on any such night.  It's imaginary.

90A9F79D-6516-4EE6-B0C7-43165D93426D.jpeg 

This was taken from a 2019 Escape Daily.  It was from the first Sea Day.  It was also called "Norwegian's Night Out"  We are not making this ***** up.  If you don't know the answer to a current question or even know what the question refers to, no worries! But don't insinuate that we're fabricating a past phenomenon.

To the others who have answered with your personal experience of the here and now, I do appreciate you and thank you!!

I wish I still had my Dailies from earlier years ago NCL cruises.  There most definitely was a night identified as a night to dress up if you wanted to and oh-by-the-way there would be extra photographers set up to take your pictures.  I have it in my mind that it was nothing more than a marketing ruse on the part of the photographers and might have even been mentioned in the section of the Dailies where other "ads" were placed (e.g Spa promotions).

So @MotownVoice we heard you loud and clear, there is no formal night and people can dress anyway they want, whenever they want.  Got it.  No need to repeat that point again.   My paragraph above is an attempt to answer the other part of of @kayjaypea42's question which asked about "Dress up or not night".  

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, MotownVoice said:

There is nothing formally mentioned in any of the NCL literature, or even by googling until cows begin coming home that mentions "Dress Up or Not."

The Sample Cruise Calendar refers to a "Dress Up and Step Out" night to dine with the captain.  That's as close as you're going to come.

I think it's just Cruise Critic people developing their own culture around the days the photographers are out working.

The very name "Dress Up or Not", by its very nature literally means "There Is No Dress Code.  Wear Whatever You Want."

There will be no organized party, or special streamers over the dining tables on any such night.  It's imaginary.

I totally agree with you regarding the fact that "dress up or not" should just be (and for most people is) what happens every night, but that doesn't mean that "dress up or not" and "Norwegian Night Out" aren't things that NCL has promoted as theme nights in the past.

I have been on many cruises when those nights happen. I generally wouldn't have noticed based on what people are wearing, but from the notices and flyers that were in the freestyle dailies.

It certainly isn't something that has just been made up on Cruise Critic.

However, in my experience on two cruises this year, they don't seem to be happening consistently nowadays. I've not noticed either dress up or not, or Norwegian Night Out on either of those cruises, which I think is a good thing, as most passengers should really be grown up enough to decide these things for themselves.

15 minutes ago, kayjaypea42 said:

This was taken from a 2019 Escape Daily.  It was from the first Sea Day.  It was also called "Norwegian's Night Out"  We are not making this ***** up.  If you don't know the answer to a current question or even know what the question refers to, no worries! But don't insinuate that we're fabricating a past phenomenon.

To the others who have answered with your personal experience of the here and now, I do appreciate you and thank you!!

Thanks for fining that, I had no doubt it existed.  

By the way, @MotownVoice I didn't have to Google till the cows came home, I just Googled "Dress up or not night" and the second result brought me to the NCL FAQ (https://www.ncl.com/ca/en/cruise-faq/what-clothes-should-i-pack) where the 3rd sentence said "We even have special "Dress-Up or Not Night."  ".    Wasn't it you who said: 

44 minutes ago, MotownVoice said:

Just now, PATRLR said:

Thanks for fining that, I had no doubt it existed.  

By the way, @MotownVoice I didn't have to Google till the cows came home, I just Googled "Dress up or not night" and the second result brought me to the NCL FAQ (https://www.ncl.com/ca/en/cruise-faq/what-clothes-should-i-pack) where the 3rd sentence said "We even have special "Dress-Up or Not Night."  ".    Wasn't it you who said: 

Cows do come home pretty quick at milking time...

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

7 minutes ago, PATRLR said:

I wish I still had my Dailies from earlier years ago NCL cruises.  There most definitely was a night identified as a night to dress up if you wanted to and oh-by-the-way there would be extra photographers set up to take your pictures.  I have it in my mind that it was nothing more than a marketing ruse on the part of the photographers and might have even been mentioned in the section of the Dailies where other "ads" were placed (e.g Spa promotions).

So @MotownVoice we heard you loud and clear, there is no formal night and people can dress anyway they want, whenever they want.  Got it.  No need to repeat that point again.   My paragraph above is an attempt to answer the other part of of @kayjaypea42's question which asked about "Dress up or not night".  

There has always been some confusion between Norwegian Night Out and Dress Up Or Not, as NCL tended to use both names. For example, on the Breakaway in 2019 the daily calls it Dress Up or Not night on page 1 of the daily, but Norwegian Night Out in three other places.

Here is a Norwegian Night Out Flyer from the Epic.

Screenshot 2022-10-17 at 19.35.48.png

5 hours ago, kayjaypea42 said:

Last week, the dress code was Resort Casual every night on the Prima. There was one big Caribbean party on the pool deck (even though we were not in the Caribbean). Other big parties were in the Prima Club (Theater) at night after they “removed” all of the theater seating. 

Photographers were set up in the Atrium on several decks every night. And were taking photos in specialty dining restaurants nightly. 

7E9F62F0-D432-4953-8AE4-CC9F1899F9C7.thumb.jpeg.2ca21ad74c04761a2d2d79dd80d9c915.jpeg

BEF991C6-F88F-4DFC-9ECF-9A54454A9E01.thumb.jpeg.966b9dd3bfc0be173aa0cde92b99ec08.jpeg

Edited by BirdTravels

1 minute ago, BirdTravels said:

Last week, the dress code was Resort Casual every night on the Prima. There was one big Caribbean Nights party on the pool deck (even though we were not in the Caribbean). Other big parties were in the Prima Club (Theater) at night after they “removed” all of the theater seating. 

Photographers were set up in the Atrium on several decks every night. And were taking photos in specialty dining restaurants nightly. 

7E9F62F0-D432-4953-8AE4-CC9F1899F9C7.thumb.jpeg.2ca21ad74c04761a2d2d79dd80d9c915.jpeg

That is super helpful! Thank you so much!

42 minutes ago, kayjaypea42 said:

90A9F79D-6516-4EE6-B0C7-43165D93426D.jpeg 

So?   Did you dress up?   Or not?!

The August 28, 2022 Freestyle Daily from Pride of America says, under Theme Nights to Look Forward To, "Join us for a night out on the town" and further states that "it's your night to dress up (or not)."  The dailies I have from our August/Encore/Alaska cruise and from our December/Bliss/Mexico cruise both clearly have Dress Up Or Not Night(s) listed on Day 2. I'll be happy to scan and post them if y'all need proof.  (We do enjoy dressing up a little bit and having our photo taken. We always use one of the photos for our annual Christmas card.)

August 28, image.thumb.png.2985cb831efe7fdb3f839c15eeda28dc.png

Edited by NikiPinkston
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1