Kahului to Lahaina

mirglip69

46 minutes ago, mirglip69 said:

Hello friends....Docking at Kahului at 8:00 and looking to book a whale watching excursion at 10:00AM in Lahaina. First time in Maui. Is this doable via taxi or Uber?

Why don't you do a whale watch out of Ma'alaea Harbor instead of Lahaina (7 miles versus 23 miles)? The whale watching excursions go out of both ports, so Ma'alaea would be closer and more cost and time effective.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, CruiserBruce said:

Yes, you can make it to Lahaina, but Ma'alaea is much easier.

Unless you want to spend time in Lahaina afterwards in which case I would say its much better to just rip the bandaid off and take an Uber from Kahului rather than try and get another Uber from Ma'alaea which takes more time and is more difficult. 

There's a lot more to do and see and do (and eat) in Lahaina after a 10am whale watch in Lahaina than Ma'alaea. If it's the OP's first time to Maui they should take that into consideration. 

• Like 3

• 5 weeks later...

I'm also a first timer in Maui and will be docked in Kahului but want to go whale watching.  How long should we allow to get to Lahaina from Kahului?  And what would be the approximate cost for 2 people?

I'm tempted to do one of the NCL whale watching tours but would love a smaller boat and those seem to go from Lahaina. 

2 hours ago, frisbeewife said:

I'm also a first timer in Maui and will be docked in Kahului but want to go whale watching.  How long should we allow to get to Lahaina from Kahului?  And what would be the approximate cost for 2 people?

I'm tempted to do one of the NCL whale watching tours but would love a smaller boat and those seem to go from Lahaina. 

Sail from Ma'alaea Harbor on your whale watch...about 25 minutes, not from Lahaina, which is 45 minutes minimum.

• Like 1

On 11/17/2022 at 1:20 PM, mirglip69 said:

I posted this originally and after seeing the comments and doing little more research, we ended up booking a tour out of Ma’alaea as many suggested. 

Was wondering did you book through NCL or private? What is your sail date if you don't mind me asking.  We are booked on Whale Watching out of Ma'alaea.  Our sail date is 12/03/22

On 11/17/2022 at 10:48 AM, frisbeewife said:

It is true that most of the smaller zodiacs go from Lahaina, but I agree with Cruiser Bruce. Ma''alaea  harbor is going to be much easier with less room for problems. There is only one road across the island from Kahalui to Lahaina (the 'Pali') and even the slighted fender bender can back that hwy up for hours upon hours. I would not want to be on a firm time schedule with that road in play.

On 11/19/2022 at 11:59 AM, teamwanderer said:

Was wondering did you book through NCL or private? What is your sail date if you don't mind me asking.  We are booked on Whale Watching out of Ma'alaea.  Our sail date is 12/03/22

Were sailing Carnival Miracle January 8th. We booked direct through Pac-Whale Eco Adventure.

We will be on the Miracle January 8th. I, too, have booked our whale watching through Pacific Whale Eco Adventure. Are you planning to Uber or use the bus system to get to Ma'alaea? I don't have the details worked out, yet, but it looks like the bus system is doable (and cheap)!