Currency needed in Australia & New Zealand

Hello, we are spending 3 days pre-cruise in Sydney, stopping in Melbourne, and making several stops in New Zealand ports. I would like to have some local currency to cover some costs I might not put on a credit card, such as tips. I can use an ATM if I need more. How much currency should I start with for each country?

2 hours ago, etowntraveler said:

Hello, we are spending 3 days pre-cruise in Sydney, stopping in Melbourne, and making several stops in New Zealand ports. I would like to have some local currency to cover some costs I might not put on a credit card, such as tips. I can use an ATM if I need more. How much currency should I start with for each country?

Tipping is not customary as Australian are payed a wage and on weekends / public holidays a 15 % fee will be included in price as are taxes . Nearly all merchants have " tap and go " either visa or mastercard and pay by phone also . American Express , Diners card are not widely accepted and if they are have highest fees . How much Au or NZ dollars you need depends on tap water or champagne taste . ATM will only have the local currency . Spend away and enjoy .

2 hours ago, Hogbay said:

Tipping is not customary as Australian are payed a wage and on weekends / public holidays a 15 % fee will be included in price as are taxes . Nearly all merchants have " tap and go " either visa or mastercard and pay by phone also . American Express , Diners card are not widely accepted and if they are have highest fees . How much Au or NZ dollars you need depends on tap water or champagne taste . ATM will only have the local currency . Spend away and enjoy .

In Sydney, you can even use your credit card on public transport (adult fares).  However, for three days in Sydney, you might like to have some Australian dollars.  

I don't know about the US, but in Australia you can use your credit card for just about everything, even small purchases, and ATM's abound.

The main question I would see is what your credit card charges for international transfer fees.

When we're over seas we use a travel card with multiple currencies, and use it for ATM withdrawals.

If on the other hand your card does not charge unreasonable transaction fees, use that.

Here in Australia I only ever carry about $50aud with me at any one time, and very rarely use any of it.

Regards

Edited by Ozwoody
  • Like 1

Make sure you have a no or low fx fee debit and credit card. Australia (and I believe NZ) are largely cash free. Keep maybe $100 of each currency in your wallet/purse just in cash.

BTW I've had a $50 note in my wallet for 6 months!

Edited by Galesa
Add
  • Like 1

I’d suggest minimum $100 each and then just use ATM if you need more, but check with your bank if they have a partner bank here tha5 will see you pay less fees, also make sure your card will work with out ATMs

46 minutes ago, Ozwoody said:

I don't know about the US, but in Australia you can use your credit card for just about everything, even small purchases, and ATM's abound.

The main question I would see is what your credit card charges for international transfer fees.

When we're over seas we use a travel card with multiple currencies, and use it for ATM withdrawals.

If on the other hand your card does not charge unreasonable transaction fees, use that.

Here in Australia I only ever carry about $50aud with me at any one time, and very rarely use any of it.

Regards

Agree. I rarely have more than $10 in my wallet. About the only time I use cash is to perhaps buy a newspaper. Anything else is tap and go. I now have a new phone and will look into using it once I've come to grips with the technology and am confident in the security.

Edited by lyndarra
typo
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, MMDown Under said:

Just as a precaution, when I was last in London, both my credit cards stopped working.  I was glad of my cash!

That's why we have three types of cards with us when we travel, CC; Savings Cash Card; and a travel money card. with each of us having a card for each, in case something goes wrong for an individual card.

Which it did once, and was glad of the back ups.

• Like 1

You can pay with your card for even small amounts in Australia, but don't do it unless you have a card that specifically does not charge for foreign exchange.   Many cards charge an upfront fee of 3%, or worse, a flat transaction fee of $5 or something, plus they usually give you a very poor exchange rate. Check the fine print on the terms and conditions for your card - the foreign exchange transaction costs will be hidden somewhere in there.  If you use a credit card to pay for small things ,like a $5 coffee, you will find the add on costs can be substantial.

The same with a debit card for withdrawing cash - check the foreign exchange transaction costs.

I can't remember the last time I carried cash. You won't need any.. but grab $100 of Aus and $100 of NZ in case. Won't cost you much in $US to get.. and if you've still got them at the last port in each respective countries.. spend it there. 

2 hours ago, Over from NZ said:

As for tipping; apart from the people receiving the tips (who won't be expecting it.. but nobody says no to free money lol); most Aussies and Kiwis wish you wouldn't tip when here! 

Unless they go well over just good service, then its up to you, but if someone goes well out of their way to make my visit, then I reward excellent service.

12 hours ago, etowntraveler said:

It is always handy to have some local currency for small purchases in different countries. I will often see if I can obtain before departure maybe $100 worth of the local currencies for the very first day I arrive. After that it is easy to get local currency from Banks and money exchanges. 

I usually carry a bit of cash but as others have said rarely use it.  Especially since the pan**** most retailers and service providers actually prefer card or phone payment over cash and tapping is widespread.  Good advice from others about checking international transaction fees and whether your cards will work here.

For context about why Aussies don't like people to tip (unless they are the person being tipped) the national minimum wage is currently $21.38 per hour and if you are casual, you get at least 25% more than that.  (This doesn't apply to teenagers and people under 21 though)  image.png.319bc2832685ae053d9401d412fa4a0d.png

My daughter works as a casual in a pet store and regularly carries heavy items out to cars but she would not know what to do if someone offered her a tip!  People close to tourists would know but would not expect it - although if they heard an American accent they would be perhaps hopeful.     

Edited by lucymorgan
  • Haha 2

12 hours ago, etowntraveler said:

How much currency should I start with for each country?

The "how much" is a bit hard to answer - but whatever it is, try to get the smallest notes that you can. No point in bringing a $100 Australian note with you 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, bazzaw said:

The "how much" is a bit hard to answer - but whatever it is, try to get the smallest notes that you can. No point in bringing a $100 Australian note with you 

Absolutely!  The only reason most Aussies see a $100 note is when 'grandma gives you one for Christmas' or something like that.  😄

• Haha 2

I consider it courtesy to use cash for small purchases at small businesses. Some businesses may have a minimum amount for card purchases or a credit card surcharge. This is because banks tend to screw small businesses with transaction fees.

$50 in small notes would be more than enough to last you until you get to an ATM.

Any left over cash can be donated to charity or a young relative.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, grozzy1 said:

I consider it courtesy to use cash for small purchases at small businesses. Some businesses may have a minimum amount for card purchases or a credit card surcharge. This is because banks tend to screw small businesses with transaction fees.

$50 in small notes would be more than enough to last you until you get to an ATM.

often when we have a small amount foreign petty cash money over towards the end of a cruise, we add it to any tip we were giving to a crew member. Quite often they cruise in those same areas, and it gives them some local petty cash, they can use.

17 minutes ago, grozzy1 said:

In NZ (and would assume Australia), banking the cash would be more costly than the minimal eftpos charge.. and if c/card surcharges are an issue.. businesses pass that on which is becoming more prevalent). Cash is on the way out. 

• Like 1

Why you need cash in Australia.  Today's shopping experemce.  Visited Harris Park, Parramatta.  First shop minimum with card was $10 (coffee and baklava cost $5).  Indian vegetable curry cost $6 cash only no card.  Very popular Indian street food. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, grozzy1 said:

BTW. Smallest Aussie note is $5.

1 hour ago, lyndarra said:

BTW. Smallest Aussie note is $5.

Further to that above, all our notes are plastic, different colours, and all different sizes, and all of them larger the the US green back..

Just to make it difficult for our American friends.🤣