Pool chair hogs ?

doowopbob

42 minutes ago, Mimiya11 said:

Mmmm... so am I chair hog?  We put our stuff down, go to breakfast or lunch and come right back?

Our first Viking cruise will be in March, guess all cruise lines are the same in this regard.  Sigh....    

Come right back? Give us a break. To answer your question ----- yes.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 3

48 minutes ago, Mimiya11 said:

Mmmm... so am I chair hog?  We put our stuff down, go to breakfast or lunch and come right back?

Our first Viking cruise will be in March, guess all cruise lines are the same in this regard.  Sigh....    

I don’t think you are if you are gone less than 30 minutes.

It’s the people who put their items down early in the morning and don’t return until after lunch or several hours later. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mimiya11 said:

Yes. Would you start your car the go have a meal? What about someone eating breakfast who then wants to sit outdoors for a while. You are just trying to beat them out without actually having to occupy the chair. Piggish.

• Like 15

2 hours ago, Mimiya11 said:

Definitely a chair hog. What you are doing knowingly is preventing someone else from using that chair while you are not using it and are away eating whatever meal.
Why do you do this? Because you are concerned that that chair will not be available after your breakfast. In other words someone will be using it. Why is it yours?

• Like 15

Seems to be a topic more at home on Carnival or HAL.  Simply bad manners.  Selfish and grabby.  Hope their stuff gets lost for good.  Viking please enforce the "No Hogs" ruling.  If there is not such a ruling, make one!.

• Like 13

3 hours ago, Mimiya11 said:

Here is my take on this...we don't "reserve" anything, personally it seems so self centered.  Why do people think it is acceptable to keep seats for their own use, when others would like to sit down also. We all paid for the cruise.  If we had a couple seats we did not want to give up and wanted to eat, one of us would go at a time and get our food and bring it back to where we were sitting and eat. We've done that with bathroom breaks....one of us stays and the other one goes and comes RIGHT back. 

So if you had reservations at one of the restaurants and were seated, then decided you wanted to go see a show first, would you put your glasses and sweater down across your seats and come back later? 

Sorry...I've just never seen this as being anything but people who feel entitled. 

• Like 16

It’s so sad to read this post. We’re not on our first Viking cruise yet, but hoped after many years of P&O, when we move to Viking, we’d see the end of hogs 🐖 reserving sun beds, etc.  The sun bed is not for your sole use, it’s to share. If you’re not on it, it should be available for anyone. 

• Like 10

16 hours ago, WNcruiser said:

Definitely chair hogs on the Star this week! Books and personal items on the chairs by 7 AM on sea days. With only 24 loungers available at the infinity pool, they go fast. 

07789EBB-AEE0-42BA-B256-8F6CF7D8F665.jpeg

I find this particular photo especially offensive. The hog is not even trying to really pretend they were sitting there and just left for bio break or to grab a drink. I would have NO PROBLEM turning in their lost posessions. None at all!

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Jim Avery said:

Seems to be a topic more at home on Carnival or HAL.  Simply bad manners.  Selfish and grabby.  Hope their stuff gets lost for good.  Viking please enforce the "No Hogs" ruling.  If there is not such a ruling, make one!.

And put a single sheet in each room notifying the guest of the policy, plus a few discretely posted around the decks.  Need Viking involvement to change this abuse.

• Like 8

3 hours ago, Jim Avery said:

Yes. Would you start your car the go have a meal? What about someone eating breakfast who then wants to sit outdoors for a while. You are just trying to beat them out without actually having to occupy the chair. Piggish.

Actually my question was sincere.  It was not to raise fury at me and most definitely not to initiate name calling without knowing who I am.  I honestly wanted to know what constitutes a chair hog, so I now know that even if I spent my morning reading a book, wanted a quick 30-minute lunch and head back to continue reading my book, I am considered "piggish." "entitled," "selfish" and "grabby." 

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, Mimiya11 said:

Actually my question was sincere.  It was not to raise fury at me and most definitely not to initiate name calling without knowing who I am.  I honestly wanted to know what constitutes a chair hog, so I now know that even if I spent my morning reading a book, wanted a quick 30-minute lunch and head back to continue reading my book, I am considered "piggish." "entitled," "selfish" and "grabby." 

You asked if you were a chair hog.  I believe your question has been answered.

• Like 7

34 minutes ago, Mimiya11 said:

I think you got it now.

• Like 6

27 minutes ago, Mimiya11 said:

You don't have a right to use any seat other than the ones in your cabin. If you are not using a seat by having your bum in it (other than nipping to the loo or bar) somebody else can sit in it if they want to. You are trying to claim a chair despite not intending to sit in it for some time. There are more seats around the ship than passengers. Sometimes you are able to get your first preference, sometimes not. Chair hogging is crass, demonstrating the same mentality as bathrobes and swimwear in the Cafe and for Afternoon tea

• Like 12

Question asked, answer received.  Thank you all for your very honest and very strong opinions.   

I personally hate chair hogs and all I was asking is if my scenario constituted being one.     

Lesson learned and bottom line is I now know to vacate my chair unless I have to go to the washroom or grab a drink.   

• Like 8

Just curious.  By these definitions, is one allowed to throw their stuff on a sea facing lounger, go to the World Cafe, grab a cappuccino in a cardboard cup and head back to the chair?  Or should one take all their stuff with them to the WC to grab the morning coffee?  Would this qualify as “grabbing a drink”. Just wondering 😊

5 minutes ago, millybess said:

Just curious.  By these definitions, is one allowed to throw their stuff on a sea facing lounger, go to the World Cafe, grab a cappuccino in a cardboard cup and head back to the chair?  Or should one take all their stuff with them to the WC to grab the morning coffee?  Would this qualify as “grabbing a drink”. Just wondering 😊

This is probably where some sort of "30 minute" rule would pertain. Clearly one should be able to leave a chair for a moment or two. It's the "save a chair for later" types that earn the rancor.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, duquephart said:

This is probably where some sort of "30 minute" rule would pertain. Clearly one should be able to leave a chair for a moment or two. It's the "save a chair for later" types that earn the rancor.

Ok, I can definitely grab breakfast in less than 30 minutes in the World Cafe and be right back. Or lunch in the WC or Pool Grill in less than 30 minutes. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, millybess said:

Ok, I can definitely grab breakfast in less than 30 minutes in the World Cafe and be right back. Or lunch in the WC or Pool Grill in less than 30 minutes. 

I'm with Twitchly on this. 15 minute absence maximum, eg. to go to toilets. Leaving to eat means you intend to sit elsewhere. You don't need two chairs, particularly in different locations, nobody's posterior is that expansive. The first chair is now available for somebody else, should they wish to sit there 

• Like 8
  • Haha 2

22 minutes ago, millybess said:

I know you asked your question in good faith - but may I suggest setting arbitrary time limits will lead to the same problems. One persons' 30 minutes begets the next persons' hour, etc...

FWIW, I use a different approach. If I'm using a chair, that's an "activity". If I then decide to do something different, such as a meal, or a walk around the deck, or ... I set the chair free. It's not the elapsed time in my view, it's my decision to change activities.

To your original question, no-one should object to pax grabbing a drink and returning immediately, or a washroom break - but I also have the habit of getting my coffee/food on the way to my spot. 🍺🥌

• Like 12

4 minutes ago, KBs mum said:

I'm with Twitchly on this. 15 minute absence maximum, eg. to go to toilets. Leaving to eat means you intend to sit elsewhere. You don't need two chairs, particularly in different locations, nobody's posterior is that expansive. The first chair is now available for somebody else, should they wish to sit there 

The time limit seems rather arbitrary. According to the photo above, Carnival says 40 minutes, duquephart says 30 minutes, you say 15. So no matter what would be mandated, nobody would be happy. 

3 minutes ago, CurlerRob said:

I know you asked your question in good faith - but may I suggest setting arbitrary time limits will lead to the same problems. One persons' 30 minutes begets the next persons' hour, etc...

FWIW, I use a different approach. If I'm using a chair, that's an "activity". If I then decide to do something different, such as a meal, or a walk around the deck, or ... I set the chair free. It's not the elapsed time in my view, it's my decision to change activities.

To your original question, no-one should object to pax grabbing a drink and returning immediately, or a washroom break - but I also have the habit of getting my coffee/food on the way to my spot. 🍺🥌

We posted the arbitrary comment at the same time and you get my point. 

Although I have never used a sea facing lounger, it struck me during this conversation that it would be on my way to get my morning coffee and I don’t travel lightly — kindle, iPad, phone, etc. 😊

19 minutes ago, millybess said:

The time limit seems rather arbitrary. According to the photo above, Carnival says 40 minutes, duquephart says 30 minutes, you say 15. So no matter what would be mandated, nobody would be happy. 

Not booked with Carnival. Do not intend to under any circumstances. 

I'm basing timings on accepted norms in good quality not mass market hotels, which Viking claims to be the equivilent of, basically if you intend to park your arse elsewhere for a while you no longer have a claim on the chair you were sitting in. The 15 minutes is to allow for a brief absence with a margin for delay, such as that caused by a queue. 

Edit, CurlerRob's definition is good regarding change of activity, need to leave chair for a minute or two, no problem, gone to do something else, free up the chair 

Edited by KBs mum
  • Like 4