Clothing suggestions for Fall cruise?

Qchell

We have sailed exclusively in the Caribbean and are now booked on our first cruise to NE/Canada next October.  Does anyone have a suggestions on what to pack clothing wise?  Any tips or tricks they have discovered made a difference in enjoying their cruise or the excursions?  I hoping to start getting ideas in order to hit all the winter clearances in January.  😉   Thanks in advance! 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Qchell said:

We have sailed exclusively in the Caribbean and are now booked on our first cruise to NE/Canada next October.  Does anyone have a suggestions on what to pack clothing wise?  Any tips or tricks they have discovered made a difference in enjoying their cruise or the excursions?  I hoping to start getting ideas in order to hit all the winter clearances in January.  😉   Thanks in advance! 

We did this exact sailing in September and had the same problem of clothing choice.

We had Sweaters, Felt Vests, Light Parker etc.. to choose from. We had some rough weather at sea and needed rain gear to walk the deck. Also the weather ranged from low 40's to low 30's. Once or twice we had high 20's. Some of the afternoons was Sunny but brisk.

Of course nights were challenging walking the streets of Quebec. 

What we did was month before we watched all the Port of Calls weather and average the activities we would expect to experience. It really worked. We did have to change items in the luggage even up to 3-4 days before we had to change..

• Like 1

I just got back from sailing Canada/New England, October 14 to October 21. Canada was warm! Charlottetown was almost 70. Luckily had I had thrown a few shorts and short sleeved shirts. Nights were cooler, especially if walking on the outside decks. I had packed a light jacket, a rain jacket, some sweaters and jeans. 

• Like 1

OP, How far does your cruise go?  If only as far as Halifax, for example, it will probably be milder than if you go all the way to Quebec or Montreal.

We have done several that went only as far as Saint John or Halifax.  We wore only long pants.  Layers on top, with options including light shirt, fleece, cotton jacket, light wool or cashmere pullover, rain jacket.  I had a down jacket on my "maybe" list, but ended up not taking it and not needing it.  But I wore it all the time when we sailed as far as Montreal.

We were on a New England/Canada cruise just last month (Oct 12-23).  It was cold the entire time, especially in Montreal and Quebec, but really everywhere, including the final stop in Boston.  Rained off and on the entire time. Most people were in puffy jackets, vests, sweaters, boots and scarves. It was really too cold to be out on deck.  On the hop-on-hop-off buses in various cities, it was FREEZING. Bundle up if you plan to do that.  Open-air, cold wind.  Wear something with a hood or a knit cap.

It was even cold on the ship, which surprised me.  We missed one port due to the fog, it was not safe to dock. 

The cruise itself was very nice, but we will never do a cold-weather cruise again. I feel that the weather really diminished the experience overall.

I just got home on Wednesday from a NE Cruise for 11 nights.......We had some sunny days but personally, I found it quite COLD OUT.  Actually, it was so windy in Sydney, I had to go back to the ship. No way I could do a walking tour😮....bring layers and I should have packed a lined jacket but did not......so that is on me but I saw lots of people with "puffer jackets/coats"........you live an learn. I think living in the South has thinned my blood......but to be honest, I found the winds COLDER than when I sailed to Alaska.

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, Islander500 said:

Can anyone comment on what to expect in late September weather?  We Floridians don't even own a puffer jacket. 🙄

To be truthful, I would tell you to check the weather on line starting about 2 weeks before your cruise. I live in North Florida and don't own a puffer jacket either.  But honestly, I would tell you to check things yourself and don't depend on this site (as good as it can be). But for weather, go to weather.com and keep track that way.

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Islander500 said:

Can anyone comment on what to expect in late September weather?  We Floridians don't even own a puffer jacket. 🙄

Again, it depends on how far your cruise is going.  If to Halifax/Saint John,  perhaps not too cold.  If to Quebec or Montreal, it could be very cold.

I'm always surprised to hear Floridians say they don't own any warm clothing.  We've been there when I needed my wool sweater topped with my wool jacket, and friends on vacation have reported having to find a thrift shop with jackets so they could get through the week.

3 hours ago, shipgeeks said:

Again, it depends on how far your cruise is going.  If to Halifax/Saint John,  perhaps not too cold.  If to Quebec or Montreal, it could be very cold.

I'm always surprised to hear Floridians say they don't own any warm clothing.  We've been there when I needed my wool sweater topped with my wool jacket, and friends on vacation have reported having to find a thrift shop with jackets so they could get through the week.

If I may, Florida is a BIG state.............I am in the most northern part which is over 400 miles from "the Keys"........we do get a winter up here. Normally Jan and Feb are our "cold months". Now, cold to one person may not be cold to someone else.  I have lived here since 1965 so I have seen one of the coldest winters on record.....way back in 1989......that was UNUSUAL......it snowed. But that is NOT normal.

Once you get to the center of the state (Orlando for example), and south? It is like we are in 2 different states. I don't know when you were here that you needed wool, but it that is not normal, especially, for South Florida.  

Now, as for what type of "winter attire" people own? I can only tell you I have several jackets but they are not puffer.........I have a fleece type from "Columbia"........if it gets so cold, I put on long sleeves and that jacket. I own a jean jacket......I own several sweaters as well. Some heavier, some not so much.

Folks in South Florida? One of my closest friends is in Miami........below 65 she gets a chill, but she doesn't own what someone from the Northeast or Midwest would wear..

Didn't mean to go on so much but just wanted give a bit of insight to how big our state is and you must have been here on a rare occasion of "REALLY COLD". 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, shipgeeks said:

Hahaha!  We do have a sweater or two and a few light jackets. On cruises to Alaska and through Strait of Magellan 

in South America, I often wished I had one of those puffer coats, though.  😂