Minimum passengers

Dobbers

1 minute ago, majortom10 said:

Not P&O but recently I think Fred Olsen cancelled cruises completely for December due to poor sales.

Saw Balmoral chugging out of Southampton at about 1000ish am on a Friday in early September.  Thought it was an odd time.  Don't know whether this was connected.

6 minutes ago, Son of Anarchy said:

Saw Balmoral chugging out of Southampton at about 1000ish am on a Friday in early September.  Thought it was an odd time.  Don't know whether this was connected.

No it was announced in August by Fred Olsen that they were cancelling four cruises in December due to poor sales and high fuel prices.

Edited by majortom10
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

No it was announced weeks ago by Fred Olsen that they were cancelling cruises.

That was only some cruises on Bolette, no effect on his other ships at all.  Not all of December was affected either, re restart was some time in December, but part of November was affected as well.

1 minute ago, tring said:

That was only some cruises on Bolette, no effect on his other ships at all.  Not all of December was affected either, re restart was some time in December, but part of November was affected as well.

I never said all of December cruises had been cancelled I said four had been cancelled and never mentioned which ships.

10 minutes ago, Son of Anarchy said:

Balmoral did have a mechanical issue about that time and had to go into dry dock for a short while to be repaired.  I think propeller damage, but not sure. I am pretty sure that dry dock was somewhere up the East coast though.  She was due to change the port she was sailing out of about that time according to her original schedule - I think she was sailing out of Rosyth when the damage occurred, but the resumed cruise was from the south coast somewhere, so it was the last cruise from Rosyth that was cancelled.  I do not have time to check the details though.

• Thanks 1

Just checked it was the morning of 23 Sept that I saw Balmoral.  Thought it was odd seeing any cruise ship heading out of Soton at 1000ish am, though what with what's been happening over the last two years who knows?

I think I had a look at Marine Traffic a couple of days later and she was in France?

6 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

I never said all of December cruises had been cancelled I said four had been cancelled and never mentioned which ships.

I suggest you look back to your post (#4), where you said you thought Fred had "cancelled cruises completely for December" 

I only clarified that post. 

26 minutes ago, Son of Anarchy said:

Just checked it was the morning of 23 Sept that I saw Balmoral.  Thought it was odd seeing any cruise ship heading out of Soton at 1000ish am, though what with what's been happening over the last two years who knows?

I think I had a look at Marine Traffic a couple of days later and she was in France?

Just checked. She left Dover very late on the 23rd for the short French cruise, after another relocation.  So she had presumably dropped passengers from the previous cruise in Southampton, then sailed on to Dover without passengers, before embarking for that 23rd September cruise from Dover.  

That is a normal scheduling for some of his cruises now as he does not do mini cruises starting in one port and travelling on to another.port at each relocation, like he used to do.  The late embarkations are not always popular, but the regional departures are popular.

The reason for the Bolette cancellations was given as lack of sales, but also that it gave an opportunity for work to be done on the ship then, so less would need done next year as had been planned.

Edited by tring
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, tring said:

I suggest you look back to your post (#4), where you said you thought Fred had "cancelled cruises completely for December" 

I only clarified that post. 

I meant that had cancelled completely some cruises not their whole fleet. You are looking too deep and for something that isn't there or intended. Perhaps it was a wrong choice of words but never intended to mean that FO had cancelled all their cruises for whole of December and clarified that in post #6.