Increased prices in the fun shops (water, etc) today

psikic

I just logged in to check my booking for my Vista cruise on November 12, and discovered that some of the fun shops prices have changed today.

I purchased a couple of 12 packs of water a couple of months ago and paid $4.95 plus tax each.  I noticed this morning they are now $9.95.

image.png.33474128b23a2bfa5e6b91de1c4274f9.png

image.png.981ba7940914f21a158e88c613b00698.png

Has anyone noticed any other price changes?

Edited by psikic
Fixed original price
  • Like 1

• psikic changed the title to Increased prices in the fun shops (water, etc) today

More than doubling the price of water? Nice, Carnival!

Ugh.  Just when I was thinking I had enough saved up to book a future cruise, they come with another (and perhaps most severe yet) price hike wave.  Ay caramba...

• Like 2

Oh wow, that's a big jump.  I normally order a case even though we get Cheers, just for the convenience of having them already in the room. Good thing I already preordered water for all of my upcoming cruises, but I think I'll just get them from the bars after that.

• Like 2

I think the price increases will continue as long as there is inflation and until Carnival begins making a profit again. The new CEO may have decided that making too many announcements about price increases puts a spotlight on it when some may not otherwise notice. Those that have not regularly ordered bottled water may think that $9.95 is a bargain, especially compared to what other cruise lines charge.

• Like 3

That is a steep increase. I remember when they added water as an option it was to stop people bringing water on as a carry on, the lower price was to compete with buying a case of water from the store. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, da_v said:

That is a steep increase. I remember when they added water as an option it was to stop people bringing water on as a carry on, the lower price was to compete with buying a case of water from the store. 

When they stopped allowing water the policy was announced with the statement "but you can buy a 12 pack of water for only $4.95" or something similar.

Carnival appears to be in much worse financial condition than other lines and the measures they are taking are very telling of this.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, sunshower9 said:

Oh wow, that's a big jump.  I normally order a case even though we get Cheers, just for the convenience of having them already in the room. Good thing I already preordered water for all of my upcoming cruises, but I think I'll just get them from the bars after that.

Take a Yeti, fill it with ice and water at the buffet. Or have the bar fill it for you. 

• Like 4

I sail with drinks everywhere so water is free for me, but I see huge price hikes from beverage suppliers, almost on the same day. A 12 pack of water that was $3.99 in Publix is now $7.99. Sodas have also gone way up. In CA a 12 pack of soda is over $9 with tax and deposit. 

Here is a tip, bring an aluminum insulated container and fill it at the bar or even in your room. The sink water is fine to drink.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Island Dog said:

Carnival appears to be in much worse financial condition than other lines and the measures they are taking are very telling of this.

Seems like their desperation is growing by the week, with new cuts and increased prices announced for one thing or another weekly.  Last week it's Mardi Gras sailings going to Nassau instead of San Juan to save fuel; this week it's foodservice cuts and new and increased upcharges.  Next week?...

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Moviela said:

I sail with drinks everywhere so water is free for me, but I see huge price hikes from beverage suppliers, almost on the same day. A 12 pack of water that was $3.99 in Publix is now $7.99. Sodas have also gone way up. In CA a 12 pack of soda is over $9 with tax and deposit. 

Yes, indeed.  A "flat" of 35 canned sodas at Sam's or Costco was around $11 two years ago.  They are now $17+.   Not quite doubling the price, but a steep increase.    

2-liter bottles of Pepsi or Coke products were regularly $1 - $1.50 two years ago at Walmart or Kroger (on sale).  They were $2.99 at Kroger last I checked 😮 , but if you got 3 at once they were "only" $2.49, which was now also the shelf price at Walmart.

Edited by Pellaz
subject/verb agreement
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Moviela said:

Here is a tip, bring an aluminum insulated container and fill it at the bar or even in your room. The sink water is fine to drink.

It's honestly hard to compare what we pay in the grocery store to what the largest cruise company in the world, Carnival Corp pays for their items. The buying power of having the world's largest cruise company means when we see a $5 increase in grocery items at the story, they might see a 25 to 50 cent increase per flat of water. Now 50 cents multiplied over millions of cases of water would be significant, but that 50 cents converts to a $5 price increase for you. 

I will agree with the others who say bring on your refillable water containers. There's honestly no need for plastic water bottles on a ship when there is water available most anywhere. As someone else mentioned, the water in your bathroom sink is perfectly fine to drink or you can simply go to the buffet or other water stations to refill. We started doing that much moreso since the restart to cruising. I would encourage all of you to do the same, it saves you money and eliminates some plastic wste. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, WheresWalter said:

It's honestly hard to compare what we pay in the grocery store to what the largest cruise company in the world, Carnival Corp pays for their items. The buying power of having the world's largest cruise company means when we see a $5 increase in grocery items at the story, they might see a 25 to 50 cent increase per flat of water. Now 50 cents multiplied over millions of cases of water would be significant, but that 50 cents converts to a $5 price increase for you. 

I will agree with the others who say bring on your refillable water containers. There's honestly no need for plastic water bottles on a ship when there is water available most anywhere. As someone else mentioned, the water in your bathroom sink is perfectly fine to drink or you can simply go to the buffet or other water stations to refill. We started doing that much moreso since the restart to cruising. I would encourage all of you to do the same, it saves you money and eliminates some plastic wste. 

you cannot refill your bottle at the buffet. There are signs saying to use a fresh cup for each drink. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

10 minutes ago, mz-s said:

you cannot refill your bottle at the buffet. There are signs saying to use a fresh cup for each drink. 

Yep, use a fresh cup, dump the water into your bottle. As long as you don't drink from the cup you can repeat the process until you are done. 

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, WheresWalter said:

Yep, use a fresh cup, dump the water into your bottle. As long as you don't drink from the cup you can repeat the process until you are done. 

bottle filler dispensers would be nice.

• Like 5

53 minutes ago, mz-s said:

30 billion plus in debt and no sign of profitablity yet…expect more of this until they’re the Spirit Airlines of the cruise industry. 

Fights, roaches, nickel and diming....I think they already have become Spirit. But hey, "keeping fares low".

Edited by Island Dog
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, shof515 said:

surprised they was no notification about these changes 

When John Heald did his video about the increase of cost for the steakhouse, he did say something about the price of water increasing.  He didn’t say how much, but he did say something.

I have noticed that when buying bottled water here on land that the cost has gone up as well.  Not doubled, but I used to get a 32 pack for $4.99 and it is now $7.99.

• Like 2

We use bottled water for sone of the excursions, like the hike through the jungle of st. Kitts. As we hike, and start to tire out, the full bottles in our hiking msg is replaced with empty bottles.  But for the ship we use tap

At local store, gallon of Distilled water went from $0.88 to $2.50 in the last few months. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mz-s said:

bottle filler dispensers would be nice.

2 hours ago, WheresWalter said:

Some cruise lines have been rolling them out. Virgin Voyages had really nice ones both on the Scarlet Lady at at the Bimini Beach Resort. 

Except that Carnival needs every penny at this point.  The dispensers are a capital expenditure (albeit small), and the easier they make it to fill your own bottle the less water (which they just doubled the price by the case) people buy. 

Again, Carnival caring about the environment only when it's in their financial interest.

• Haha 2